Reefcentral = Toast.

Ryan S

:lol: I just got this message when trying to log on to RC. :lol:

Hello RC Members.

Sorry for the interruption. We'll be back in a little while, I need to check something.

To the folks spreading rumors and making up quotes, it's pretty sad when you have to resort to lying to try and get members.

Slander and libel are pretty serious things.

Cheers

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello RC Members.

Sorry for the interruption. We'll be back in a little while, I need to check something.

To the folks spreading rumors and making up quotes, it's pretty sad when you have to resort to lying to try and get members.

Cheers

I am pretty sure that is just a generic message. That does not mean they are coming back up.

If they wanted to refute any rumors they would post an explanation on their page instead of displaying this error message. I am sure they are busy running around trying to find a fix, but we should not be getting out information from a third party(other board).

Hello RC Members.

Cheers

Well, it looks like we just let this play out, then, until the truth itself is revealed. In the meantime, I'm backing up all of my RHF articles.... ;)

:gho: :hammer: :why: :blast:

RC just posted this:

"The truth is that during an upgrade to mySQL we encountered an error that needed to be corrected. Unlike most sites, our database is very large and routine checks can take quite a long time to run. That's one of the reasons why we're one of the few sites that runs a full nightly backup. We'll be back this morning with virtually zero data loss. Sorry to disappoint the folks forging the emails."

Guess it's not toast after all! Yay!

RC just posted this:

"The truth is that during an upgrade to mySQL we encountered an error that needed to be corrected. Unlike most sites, our database is very large and routine checks can take quite a long time to run. That's one of the reasons why we're one of the few sites that runs a full nightly backup. We'll be back this morning with virtually zero data loss. Sorry to disappoint the folks forging the emails."

Whew.

Just in case anybody's interested, I zipped my collection of RHF reef chemistry articles (PDF) and posted them here: RHF Reefkeeping Articles

It's a 22 MB download covering basic seawater composition, beginner and advanced reef chemistry, DIY chemical supplements, and common problems & solutions.

Well that so random. How stupid are they really?

I'm tired of RC. They won't let one post anything about another reef related website or post pics from nanoreef or reefbuzz.

(edited)

Surprised at the amount of what seems negative comments about RC.

For me, I love the fact that there are people posting from all over the world, and can share their experiences.

Every one of these online forums have some issues.

I'm tired of RC. They won't let one post anything about another reef related website or post pics from nanoreef or reefbuzz.
And IMO, Thank God they don't. Edited by CHUBAKAH

For me, I love the fact that there are people posting from all over the world, and can share their experiences.

And IMO, Thank God they don't.

+1

+2

I'm not surprised. This is actually pretty tame from some of the anti RC rants that I have seen here and elsewhere.

Why, all I was trying to do was post some pics of my pico and it wouldn't let me b/c they were on NR and the buzz.

I WORK LATE AND WOULD ALWAYS RUN INTO THERE NIGHTLY backup so these post on here and cmas are silly at best and just like RC has stated alot of this has to do with competition with all the sites out there trying to steal some mem away.RC is correct to limit other sites material and such they are so huge they have some issues that some can not understand.The diy and chem area are unreal everything that we use or have tried have came from this great site.T HE GREATEST COMPLEMENT A REEFER can get is to have his tank as totm on there mag.............Nothing is even close its size has turned some off but a small site like R2R IS OKAY but is dead most of the time..........no RC would be hard to imagine

Why, all I was trying to do was post some pics of my pico and it wouldn't let me b/c they were on NR and the buzz.

However if you were to use Photobucket, or imageshack you would have no issues.

Hot linking from another site nine times out of ten is not permitted in the user rules when you join a forum. RC is just better then other sites when it comes to trying to keep it from happening. As large a site it is, and with as many members as it has on at any given time the site is slowed quite a bit hosting images from a shared server.

RC just posted this:

WAMAS runs a full nightly offsite backup, granted it's not as large as RC's, but it's also on a proportionally less powerful server.

The fact that they run a full backup vs a incremental is why it takes so long. The size of the database must be huge for that site so

the server size is less of a factor for backups.

As for the images from other sites, I can see a technical reason also. Most other smaller forums run on smaller size/amount of servers so I can

see how the images can slow down the thread with load times. If you host it on a optimzed site like PicasaWeb, ImageShack, etc, then all

your images will be centralized and you can link it everywhere.

I think RC is great. They have tons of info and I just don't understand why so many bash it. Use it for what it is (a giant collection of info) and sift through the data and find what you need. Don't take it personal.

As for the images from other sites, I can see a technical reason also. Most other smaller forums run on smaller size/amount of servers so I can

see how the images can slow down the thread with load times.

Its kinda like the slashdot effect. Post a link or image from a small site on a large one with very high readership and you create an unintentional DOS attack on the smaller site. I would not be surprised if the smaller sites actually requested to be blocked from RC for this very reason. The other reason is that RC is the big fish and people will try to use them to drive traffic to their own site, we deal with some of the same types of issues of people using our board to drive traffic to theirs, RC just has to deal with this on a much larger scale.