Reefcentral = Toast.

Ryan S

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It might have been posted earlier but at least this is now in the public forum instead of where it was.

Agreed.

If they are unable to recover the site, it will be a loss to the community.

For others who may be interested, ReefSanctuary is a good alternative that captures some of the same resources that RC had online in their stickies. In fact, some of the big players over at RC can be found at RS.

Wow, this makes me a little sad. I helped start RC back in the day, I even hosted it for the first 3 years. I left when John Link took over in 01 or 02. It has gone far downhill over the past few years though, so maybe this is good in a way. I hope they can recover the data and put it into read-only archive mode, but I certainly wouldn't mind if some of the RC moderators never resurface in the hobby again. No offense Scott (traveller7) :)

I highly doubt that there is no usable back up available. That site was so poorly managed anyways. Its a shame all of those archives are lost, some great information on that site

If they are unable to recover the site, it will be a loss to the community.

Agreed. This is how I feel about it.

Well I just lost $20.. I just reupped recently via subscription.

how the H-E-double hockey sticks do I stop that?

Well I just lost $20.. I just reupped recently via subscription.

how the H-E-double hockey sticks do I stop that?

Contact paypal or your CC company. They may be able to stop payment.

I agree, a ton of information, but it was getting out of hand. So what happens to all of the money? There's gotta be some money left and I'd bet that theres some sneaky business going on.

I am sure there is some shady dealings going on, I am curious what will happen to all the sponsors that had prepaid. I didnt know any of the moderators or owners personally. But I thought it was very strange that it was taking months for a website of the caliber to update their code. I post on much larger forums that do similar updates in weeks time.

I agree, a ton of information, but it was getting out of hand. So what happens to all of the money? There's gotta be some money left and I'd bet that theres some sneaky business going on.

According to the reefbuilders article the TOS with RC is that in this event they keep everything from subscribers and sponsors.

According to the reefbuilders article the TOS with RC is that in this event they keep everything from subscribers and sponsors.

That doesn't seem right. :wacko:

Wow...there is a lot of conspiracy theories out there. Why can't people accept the fact that sometimes crap happens. I like the site and it was one of my favorites. As long as you could tune out some of the people, it was a great place. I hope it comes back. It was really nice to go to one spot to talk to a bunch of vendors such as Roger, Curt, etc.

They will be back. Those that are banned will still be banned. Life will go on.

GO TO REEF@REEF.COM - they are updating their servers due to the mass influx of new members. Put me down as your referal source..... :biggrin:

I just want to know how to stop the auto subscription. There's no link to do so

How did you pay? If it was paypal or CC contact them and let them know what happened. They can block any future payments to that account.

Now, RC should set up their account to reject any new payments so it shouldn't be a problem. Even if they don't they could not legitimately keep any subscription renewals after the site crashed. That being said, are you going to go out and initiate legal action over $20?

I will agree that reef central had some good articles and info, but I didn't really like how it was setup. I think I might have posted a comment in one thread throughout the 2 years I was a member. Its sad but I won't miss them.

I just want to know how to stop the auto subscription. There's no link to do so

It's real easy. Paypal help reveals the answers :) Here is the quick run down.

1. Go to My Account in PayPal

2. Go to history

3. Search your history for the past year (or whenever you subscribed)

4. Click on the ReefCentral item

5. When you look at the details it says it was a subscription with some number with a hyper link. It is something like S8-xxxxx

6. Click on that number and then click on Cancel Subscription.

7. Click on Cancel Subscription for a second time for confirmation.

I did it just in case it was hacked. I'll resubscribe if it comes back.

(edited)

I don't care about the $24. Site served it's purpose and I got alot of info via searches.

I forgot all about the subscription and let it go everytime. I was meaning to shut it off when I saw it 6 days ago.

ONe thing I hate about auto's via PayPal is that it goes directly to the Bank account vs the CC.

Lesson learned :)

thanks for the info! I see now why they tell you to cancel the subscription instead of going ahead and doing it themselves.

Edited by DJBoy98