Have your Zoa's/Paly's from Mr. Coral melted?

Sikryd

(edited)

I was just curious is I am the only one - same with most of my buddies.

It would be nice to hear from other people out there since I don't talk to everyone on here.

Have your Zoa's from Mr. Coral melted also?

I only have one left that is holding on by a thread.

This is not to hurt Mr. Coral AT ALL - more of a thread/poll to see if I am the only one - and if so, then it must be from my tank parameters or something. That and to let others know so they don't watch their money melt too.

All the photo's of stuff in my tank is from aquacultured stuff that I got from other vendors or reefers. Not wild colonies that were fragged up.

I figure I have spent well over $500 on them, so it bumbs me out to watch all that money melt away.

I've talked to the vendor a few times about this and let him know, but no response. And I know him pretty well, so that's a bumber too.

Edited by Sikryd

(edited)

Never bought anything from there, but I've never had problems with any zoa and paly's from where I do get mine. You probably have zoa eating nudibranchs. But if some of your buddies had the same thing happen then the answer to your question would be no, it's not just you.

Edited by audible

In my limited experience, melting Zoanthids are almost aways due to Light and Flow.

I'm not smart enough to figure that out on my own, somebody else clued me in.

(edited)

I think I posted some pictures from yesterday of my zoa's and paly's in my tank build thread.

If not - here are a few

No pests munchin' on them - I have had a ton of different zoa's before and since

Light and flow are good - Its only limited to one's that I have picked up up there. The rest have been aquacultured or from other reefers.

2 Vortecs and 3 x 250 mh's -

Bothmagicians.jpg

Lunars.jpg

Unknownsweetzoa-1.jpg

PPEZoa-1.jpg

Edited by Sikryd

Do you have pics of them closed? From my understanding, you can tell only when they are closed as the "ring" you will see will be on the bottom side of the skirts and are not easy to spot. I've never had them so I might be wrong about that. Anyone else care to chime in with zoa nudi experience? Some people have bad luck with zoa's, some don't. Could be flow as mentioned before too, but I would think they'd be closed most of the time before dying off if that were the case. YOu also mentioned your friends had the same thing happen (if I read your post correctly), so that sounds a bit suspect. Either way, good luck.

I have two large zoa rocks that I picked up from Mr. Coral six or more months ago. Both are growing and continue to do well.

I also picked up a rock that had 50+ polyps on it from Mr. Coral. It is doing fine and now has 200+ polyps. I have lost a lot of zoa frags that I received from multiple places including wamas members, online vendors, and Mr. Coral. I found that I have much better luck with larger zoa colonies than frags.

I have picked up a few frags from there that have all melted except one. I have tried different lighting, flow and systems and they all seem to melt on me. Maybe the colonies have better luck, but I haven't had much luck with the frags. The SPS frags that I got from him all are doing extremely well, I guess I just don't have good luck with the zoa's.

The palys I got from there died pretty fast but they were freshly cut while I was in the shop and Sonny had told me the reason they were not as bright as in his picture was that they had recently been moved from a bad location in another shop tank where there was too much light. Some orange zoas I got there the same day died right away and I have no clue why. The green zoas I got there the same day have been ok. I don't think it's any kind of bug, I think at least in some cases (like those palys) it's the handling in the shop.

Are all the other zoos you have gotten from everywhere else doing fine and is it only the ones you got at MRCoral?

For me - yeah its only the ones I have picked up from there.

I have pretty good luck with wild colonies from other places - I have never lost one. From Mr. Coral I have only gotten frags since he cuts most of them up to make more money - and all them have melted

I don't think you can cut a wild colony up right away is the problem. At least that is my best guess.

That is why I posted this - to see if anyone else has the same issue - or how to avoid buying ones that melt.

From the concensus it seems that most have melted on people from Mr. Coral (on other forums) So I figured why not get it out there so other people don't watch their money melt.

Especially newer people - that is why I joined a club - to find out where to get stuff, what to avoid, ect. Helping each other out with information

I got some neon green Zoa's from him and they are exploding like crazy. My fish history with his store is another story.

I got some neon green Zoa's from him and they are exploding like crazy. My fish history with his store is another story.

Thats what I have heard on the fish too. I don't have any experience with them though - I usually get mine from Roozens.

I just bought some two weeks ago and they are fine. So is the sps. I got some fish before and yep they are dead but tried again this time so lets see how that goes. They are very nice guys.

Ive lost 4+ zoa's 2 acan and a scolymia....All died within 2 weeks ! some serious cash! but also have 2 acans, and 1 zoa and 1 paly that are doing well.....

Might just be my tank...lol Havent lost anything else from anywere else!

Are all the other zoos you have gotten from everywhere else doing fine and is it only the ones you got at MRCoral?

It sounds like you've found the place that you should not buy you're personal zoos at.

It's a tough call when some have fine luck and you've recently had so much trouble with the place with zoos and also brown clam you spent 8hrs travel and pick it out time.

Most folks vote with their dollars, no luck, no votes, no dollars.

At least none of the zoos you've picked up elsewhere have given you any trouble, there's something to be thankful for.

I feel for you, since if I remember correctly, you had a recent mini crash and lost a bunch of stuff.

I've recently had trouble with corals I've gotten anywhere.

Once I finally got the outside of my tank area looking awesome, the rest of the inside seemed to fall apart. Why can't I have both?

Hang in there bud, I hope your tank karma, and mine as well, changes for the better, you deserve it.

I've got maybe 5 or 6 zoa frags from him as well as plenty more from other vendors and wamas members. The only ones I've ever lost were the japanese ones that I got from you.... (not blaming you fwiw, just they're the only ones I've lost). At the same time I put yours in and they melted, some sort of fungus or something started going after quite a few of my other zoas. You can see that thread here: http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...c=29209&hl=. I managed to cure everything with about 3 dips seperated every other day or so, but the japanese zoa's were a lost cause. If you're buying ALL of the other zoa's from other wamas members, or aquacultured, then those have obviously adapted to aquarium life pretty well. It might be that something with the paramaters in your tank that shocks the zoa's straight from the wild so much that they can't recuperate. But the ones that are already used to aquarium life can make the adaption because it's not as huge of a leap.... just guessing though because you've said you dose prodibio or something which might be the reasons. Also, if your water conditions are too pristine they will not survive. Same with xenia and others. You have to have at least a little nitrate, etc.

(edited)

Sam - sorry to hear they didn't make it - at least you didn't pay for them ;) The red ogo didn't make it either. Not your fault - I can't grow macro to save my life due to the low nutrients. I heard from other people that they got zoa pox and stuff from some zoa's up at Mr. Coral too. I don't know what to look for - so I have no experience with that myself. They could have had anything and I would have never know. I dip EVERYTHING in revive though.

That can happen from any vendor though. It isn't their fault they come in from the wild like that.

I have no problem growing aquacultured or wild COLONIES (at least from Roozens) zoo's at all. In fact they are doing great in my tank now.

Thanks Chip - Yeah things have been looking great in my tank since the crash. Just watching things grow out now. The colors are insane. I love just sitting in front of the tank every night with the wife and watching the fish swim - for hours......

I hope your tank turns around as well.

On the Mr. Coral thing - live and learn. I gave him a chance to make things right with the clam and with all the other issues I have had - to no avail. Same with the other guys I know that he has burned.

He just wants your money however he can get it - then blames you when you aren't happy.....

I stuck up for him and his business practices MANY times, until it happened to me.

Live and Learn.....

Edited by Sikryd

sps are way different from zoos that why some of us dont mix our tanks with both sps and lps/zoos .....a couple of lps in a sps tank are find but packing a tank wiyh dirty loving zoos and lps corals and sps corals for most will mean alot of loses from one or the other........sonnys tanks have low par so you must be careful when adding livestock.....all of his stuff looks nice in my tank.

(edited)
sps are way different from zoos that why some of us dont mix our tanks with both sps and lps/zoos .....a couple of lps in a sps tank are find but packing a tank wiyh dirty loving zoos and lps corals and sps corals for most will mean alot of loses from one or the other........sonnys tanks have low par so you must be careful when adding livestock.....all of his stuff looks nice in my tank.

Tell me you kidding.......right?!?!?!

I have a FULL mixed reef and everything looks KILLER

I think you are a little mistaken on your information. Some of us must mean you, and the buddy that told you can't have a full mixed reef with no problems. INCLUDING a low nutrient system.

You are more than welcome to stop by and check my tank out - you are right up the road about 15min.

Edited by Sikryd

+ 1

I think you are a little mistaken on your information. Some of us must mean you, and the buddy that told you can't have a full mixed reef with no problems. INCLUDING a low nutrient system.

You are more than welcome to stop by and check my tank out - you are right up the road about 15min.

+2

I've gotten a literal crap ton of zoos and mr.coral and not had any melt. i once had a shroom melt but there were three on the rock so it was all good.