Unique coral found in local tank

zygote2k

(edited)

I picked this unique brain coral up from Reefhunters' tank yesterday.

Picture was taken with flash at night.

gallery_2631654_455_483974.jpg

Edited by zygote2k

(edited)
Is this a piece where multiple frags were placed close together and grew out?

That was my first thought, but since it was supposedly like this in the wild, it must have simply been peices from several brains that landed. Near to each other and then melded. That's not a single brain, but several. If it was all marbled, then I'd be confused...

Edited by L8 2 RISE

That was my first thought, but since it was supposedly like this in the wild, it must have simply been peices from several brains that landed. Near to each other and then melded. That's not a single brain, but several. If it was all marbled, then I'd be confused...

Its all one single species of brain. All the polyps look alike except for the different colors. Whatever its' natural environment was, caused it to grow this way.

Is the flesh all one piece?u see mulicolored war corals all the time so it's not really that unusual..

I guess the way to tell would be take a piece of the brain and separate it and see if it regrows the same random colors as a separate frag. Any which way you cut it its really a neat piece.

My guess is this: Each color shares a single common parent. When the female broadcast eggs, they got fertilized by multiple males. Then a few of each recruited onto that rock. So they are genetically separate "step-sisters", similar enough to not sting/eat each other, but different enough to have varying color patterns.

My guess is this: Each color shares a single common parent. When the female broadcast eggs, they got fertilized by multiple males. Then a few of each recruited onto that rock. So they are genetically separate "step-sisters", similar enough to not sting/eat each other, but different enough to have varying color patterns.

Step-sisters or half sisters? Why sisters and not brothers? So mama got around. What do you name it?

Step-sisters or half sisters? Why sisters and not brothers? So mama got around. What do you name it?

Looks like the ho ho ho brain to me.

:biggrin:

This sounds like the most plausible answer. Thanks.

Not intended. Just typing and driving.

I knew that this one came from Mr.Coral. I just didn't know there were more of them. Rik- what do the others look like?

I knew that this one came from Mr.Coral. I just didn't know there were more of them. Rik- what do the others look like?

same thing just flatter. Sonny said he got 12 in but I guess the other 9 have been sold.