The new Betty Crocker.

zygote2k

Here's my recipe for success!

1) Aquarium- your choice.

1) Vortech Pump appropriately sized.

1) Metal Halide light fixture appropriately sized.

1) Nitrate reduction system. (Skimmer or Natural System).

1) Sump with appropriately sized return pump and eductor.

1) Electrical set consisting of timers, GFCI's, power strips, etc.

1) Temperature control package consisting of heater and/or chiller.

1) R/O D/I system.

1) Salt mixture of your choice.

1) 3-part dosing system.

1) 2-4" Aragamax sand bed.

1) Batch of fresh, uncured live rock.

1) High Quality water test kit package consisting of LaMotte, Hach, or Tropic Marin.

Combine water, salt, sand, and live rock in aquarium and agitate vigorously for 2 months. Bake at a constant 78 degree temp and 14/10 light cycle. Begin weekly 10% water changes using RODI. Add 3-part to maintain NSW values.

At onset of cyanobacteria and/or nuisance algae, add small janitorial crew consisting of a few hermits, many snails, and a few sand sifters. Encourage growth of macroalgae with RDP cycle if using Natural System.

Crunchy Coral Topping.

1) batch of Softies.

1) batch of LPS.

1) batch of SPS.

Distribute corals evenly around aquarium being mindful of individual requirements such as water flow and lighting.

Try to decorate in a natural fashion resembling a natural reef. Corals fight just like fish, so be mindful of future terrirtorial disputes.

Yummy Fishies.

1) batch of colorful reef fishes.

Add fishes in small batches to prevent recycling of bacterial stocks. Add peaceful types first, more aggressive types later. Only add enough fish that you can feed heartily without causing NO3 to become higher than 20ppm.

In case of problems, test frequently and make small changes. For further help with this recipe, contact the OP.

gallery_2631654_455_433724.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_1045874.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_366166.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_843295.jpg

Rob,

This is great! Witty, fun and useful. Could be good in the newbie section for folks that are uncomfortable asking what to buy and how to start. Add parameters and links then have it pinned.

Here's my recipe for success!

1) Aquarium- your choice.

1) Vortech Pump appropriately sized.

1) Metal Halide light fixture appropriately sized.

1) Nitrate reduction system. (Skimmer or Natural System).

1) Sump with appropriately sized return pump and eductor.

1) Electrical set consisting of timers, GFCI's, power strips, etc.

1) Temperature control package consisting of heater and/or chiller.

1) R/O D/I system.

1) Salt mixture of your choice.

1) 3-part dosing system.

1) 2-4" Aragamax sand bed.

1) Batch of fresh, uncured live rock.

1) High Quality water test kit package consisting of LaMotte, Hach, or Tropic Marin.

Combine water, salt, sand, and live rock in aquarium and agitate vigorously for 2 months. Bake at a constant 78 degree temp and 14/10 light cycle. Begin weekly 10% water changes using RODI. Add 3-part to maintain NSW values.

At onset of cyanobacteria and/or nuisance algae, add small janitorial crew consisting of a few hermits, many snails, and a few sand sifters. Encourage growth of macroalgae with RDP cycle if using Natural System.

Crunchy Coral Topping.

1) batch of Softies.

1) batch of LPS.

1) batch of SPS.

Distribute corals evenly around aquarium being mindful of individual requirements such as water flow and lighting.

Try to decorate in a natural fashion resembling a natural reef. Corals fight just like fish, so be mindful of future terrirtorial disputes.

Yummy Fishies.

1) batch of colorful reef fishes.

Add fishes in small batches to prevent recycling of bacterial stocks. Add peaceful types first, more aggressive types later. Only add enough fish that you can feed heartily without causing NO3 to become higher than 20ppm.

In case of problems, test frequently and make small changes. For further help with this recipe, contact the OP.

gallery_2631654_455_433724.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_1045874.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_366166.jpg

gallery_2631654_455_843295.jpg

Rob this is great.. Funny, but very useful... Im with Jan that this is perfect for newb's.. I think my favorite part is "Combine water, salt, sand, and live rock in aquarium and agitate vigorously for 2 months", Good stuff Rob.. Well done.!!

Rob,

Thanks for taking time to put this together :) very useful for newbie indeed.

funny at same time :)

what do you mean by the 14/10 light cycle

14 hours off, 10 hours off (I couldn't figure it out at first either). I vote this for tagging in the "New to the Hobby" forum.

I'd probably cut back in the light cycle - maybe even go with lower light in the intial months - to stimulate coraline algae growth.

• 5 years later...

I can't believe Rob forgot the one ingredient that adds a little something extra to the recipe........You need to Pee in the tank to get it cycling!!!!! :laugh:

• 1 year later...

I can't believe Rob forgot the one ingredient that adds a little something extra to the recipe........You need to Pee in the tank to get it cycling!!!!! :laugh:

Haha so true that was his advice when he did my plumbing for new build.

And everything i look at my Betty Crocker cookbook I see Rob.... Kinda scary, but dagnabitt if it ain't still current (though now we can sub many different kinds of lights... Right ?)

That was an 'old skool' recipe- perhaps it's time for Betty Crocker 2.0....

Old school still works. Maybe a few ingredient substitutions here or there....

I'm tempted to just dump the skimmate locker full of nasty from the old tank into the new tank to let it grow for a few months..  Think aiptasia bits would survive and grow in the new one?