Trying to support "local stores"

rawdawg05

I have been to a couple of local stores but they all dont seem to have a good collection of dry goods. Such as reactors,pumps, etc. I did go to one place and they have a lot for a local store but the prices are significantly higher than the net and that is including shipping.

Thanks for the help

I have been to a couple of local stores but they all dont seem to have a good collection of dry goods. Such as reactors,pumps, etc. I did go to one place and they have a lot for a local store but the prices are significantly higher than the net and that is including shipping.

Thanks for the help

It just tends to be a fact that you can save $$ and get better selection by buying online. Wish I could buy the stuff locally, but in many cases it is a 2x difference in price ($40 vs $20 for a heater, etc).

Some folks think paying more is worth it to support local vendors and that they get better service. You have to decide for yourself...

For me, I like to drive to That Fish Place a couple times a year and stock up on things like carbon, filter cartridges, bulbs, frozen food, salt, etc. Usually they seem to have about the best prices going on just about everything. It is a 2 hour drive, though.

Thanks for the help

I recommend talking to the people working there. I don't think that many of the local stores carry too much inventory. I think that part of the reason is that they probably don't want to have too much $$$ tied up in supplies that they don't sell too much of. Also, they probably can't sell enough to get a big price break like some of the online dealers. However, with that said, I found that some local stores will give you good deals if you ask about something, even if they don't carry it.

For example, I got my 90g at Scales when they had a sale. Mr. Coral used to (might still do it) sell tanks at distributor pricing. BRK sells T5 bulbs, plumbing and food for the same price online. Fins & Feathers has a smaller store and doesn't carry too many dry goods, but if you talk to Sean, he can order you anything. I got an A.G.E. tank, IceCap supplies, sand, etc cheaper than anywhere else. I also got Live Rock there for about the same price as online.

So there are 4 stores there that do have some good deals on dry goods. My suggestion is to talk to them. Some things they can help you out on and others not so much. Also, if you think about if a heater cost you $20 online and $40 in the store, it's probably close to a $10 difference after shipping. So then it comes down to how bad do you need it and how much is worth it to you in supporting a LFS.

Then again there are non-WAMAS LFSs that will just charge a lot. Just find a store or two you like and try to deal with them. I know when I was at Aquaco, Sean told me he doesn't carry too many dry goods because people can get them cheaper online and it isn't worth his time and $$. So some of them know that they can't compete with online vendors and I'm sure that they don't mind you ordering stuff online. At the same time, I don't think they'll turn you away if you ask them to order it. Most of the LFSs that support WAMAS are VERY accommodating. You will see a lot of good reviews for Mr. Coral, Scales, Aquaco, BRK, and F&F. And personally, I don't mind paying a little extra locally if I'm treated well. These are also the same guys helping me to learn and grow. I look at it for paying for both goods and knowledge. Don't get me wrong, if I can get something $100 cheaper online, I'm going to do it. But the local guys know I'm coming back for fish & corals. I suspect that they make more money off of fish & corals anyway.

It really depends on what you are getting. I ordered my first set of T5s from ReefGeek. But when I found out that F&F became an IceCap distributor, it was cheaper for me to get my new set of lights from F&F. I noticed that from time to time John has some killer deals on some skimmers.

I've rambled enough....I hope that this helps and good luck! BTW, I don't think anyone will look down on you for ordering some dry goods over the internet ;)

BTW, F&F (in Ashburn) also has a sale going now with 20% off fish and dry goods. Bring your WAMAS card.

BTW, F&F (in Ashburn) also has a sale going now with 20% off fish and dry goods. Bring your WAMAS card.

Thanks but I haven't got my card yet. LOL

I want to help SOME of these stores out because they are so nice. Ashburn is a hike for me so when I go there I need to make sure I get what I want.

My old store in DE i would just order the things I needed and they would charge me a small amount more than I would fine online. But you have to do what is best for your business because that is what they are in business for, to make money.

... Ashburn is a hike for me so when I go there I need to make sure I get what I want.

Just FYI. You may wish to update your profile with your location. It helps us all to understand who's near who.

Just FYI. You may wish to update your profile with your location. It helps us all to understand who's near who.

OK, Tom, are you taking my position as the "location nag"?

You are welcome to it!