DIY  KALK reactor folks

flowerseller

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Several people are away in Boston for the macna. Who is available to cut on Sunday 9/12 ?

Who is available on the alternate date of 9/19.

To cut on the 12th we still need to get the 4'x8'x1/4" sheet of black or clear plexi.

If I have to go to Alexandria I will get it but not likely. Who can get a sheet by then. $140.00 ish plus tax.

Chris,

If the shipping turns out steep for koi lagoon, just let me know. Gosh diggity darnit (did that get by the censors?) I need to find another $150 worth of stuff at MD. Shouldn't be hard.

What about kalk?

Doug

I can make the cutting party on Sunday, but have plans in the afternoon.... The plan way back when was to do this at MS, is that still the idea?

Folks,

How about ordering some bulk Kalk powder as well?

Would be nice to go with the new reactor.

Sunday is good with me.

tnx

-krish

I use Sigma Calcium Hydroxide and plan continue. I have not and will not use pickling lime.

I pay around $90.00 for 2.5kl (about 5lbs) It is however reagent grade and generally 98.6% pure. Just because it's food grade does'nt mean it's that pure.

We can talk while we're cutting. I'll try to call all the people on the list this evening or Thursday.

We still need to ge the black sheet or there is no reason to meet this Sunday just to cut tube.

For this kalk reactor, the plan has been to do it all in my TEEPEE in McLean, VA.

Chief Wannakalkreactor

Sunday is fine with me. My open house is that day, I can't be home anyway.

My little lighting/shipping ploy aside, lets work on a master parts list so we can order ALL before assembly to save on shipping costs. Let's avoid:

powerheads + shipping

kalk + shipping

Plumbing + shipping

etc...

Don't really care where from, but let's do one stop shopping.

I agree we should get all the parts we need and try to get them in before the build. I can help put together the list of parts and look for suppliers.

Total Parts list as I see it:

Acrylic

Acrylic Tube                                

Weldon

Powerhead

Dosing Pump

PVC Pipe inside reactor

Flex tube to attach PVC to PH

Threaded PVC fitting for PH cord

2 part epoxy for sealing cord in place

1/4 tubing for water and kalk

Kalk

1/4 fittings for the top

nylon nuts / bolts

Gasket

I think that about covers it, If I missed anything please add to the list so we can make sure we are ready to cut and build.

Tools needed:

Saw to cut Tube?

Saw to cut top and bottom

Router

Router bit to trim top and bottom

drill

Tap and Die to thread holes on top for cord and water connections

As for the supplies I know I will need it all so lets see if we can decide on what the acually parts are and where to get them.

Chris

The biggest part we are missing is the black plastic. We need that to start.  $140.00 a sheet - need 1

I have in stock the following:

The 6" tubes

18 - 4.5" black o-rings for the top = $1.00each

as much as 25  thumb screws = .25 each and a link to the place I got 100 from.

Drill & bit for TS

1/4" tap that threads the TS's ( Glenn suggested wing nuts and I agree and disagree)

A router w/circle cutter attachment & bit *

Shopsmith - 10" carbide blade

jointer for clean edges to the base

Torch for flame polishing

Dewalt 12" compound miter and carbide blade.

Space in the TEEPEE to work several stations simultaneously.

A very postive attitude.

Our first meeting will be to cut it all out which will be a handfull in itself.

*  I know we need a new carbide 2x fluted bit to cut the circles and a smaller one to cut the grove for the o-ring to sit in, mine have been through a lot.

Parts List based on 12 units updated:

Item                   QTY Needed      Qty Have

Acrylic Tube           24'                  24'

Blk Acrylic Sheet      1                    0

Gasket                   12                  12        

Nylon Screws          72 / 96            24

Power Head            12                   0

JG 1/4 Threaded      24                   0

Rigid Airline             24'                  0

3/4 PVC Male Thd    12                   0

Dosing Pump           ??                   0

1/2 PVC Pipe          16'                   0

1/2 Flex Pipe           2'                   0

1/4" Flex Tubing       ??                  0

Kalk                       ??                  ??

Building Materials

Weldon                  ??                  ??

15 min Part Epoxy    ??                  ??

Ok I have a straight cutting blade for a router that is still in good shape. It has a 1/2 shaft so I don't know if it'll fit your router with the circle cutter. I can pickup the bit for the groove if you let me know what we need.

I can't get the black acrylic by this weekend so if some one can get it please speak up.

I did check out Marine depot and it looks like we can get the following for $20 a peice:

JG Fittings

PVC 3/4" Male adapter

Power head

25' 1/4 air tube

I checked Kalk and it seemed they where a bit high priced on that. If we bulk order from MD with some other things members want we will meet the 5% discount price.

Lets keep up the momentum and get this built...

Chris

I've always used BALL's Lime and I'm happy with it.  If you don't mind paying $90 for the good stuff, go ahead, but I'm sticking with the cheap stuff.  

I have one of a cheapo torche and can bring the router/table and a basic bit set.  I also have 2 diffrent tooth count 10 inch wood carbide blades they are the cheap ones that came with my saws, so one or even both could be tossed after the cut party at no displeasure to me.  

The dose pump I was looking at does not have a speed control in the AC version so we would need a "dimmer switch" of some kind.  <$10 but worth mentioning.  

Seems the critical thing for this weekend is the black sheet, boy do I mis having a pickup truck.  

Finally I'm 1 mile from a home Depot, so I will offer to pick up any last min items Sunday morning.  

Phil

Sorry guys, I do not have a truck I can make a run with. Don't really seem to have the necessary tools either - another excuse to gow to HD. I was going to try and use the scrap 4'x4' sheet I had of 1/4". I'll bring it in case we need, but not to make waves I will go with whatever option the group goes with.  

Chip, do you remember if they sold the weld-on or bulk epoxies at acme, or should we order separate from usplastics or equiv. Howard (at one time) said he would donate whatever he had remaining, but it's not enough for all.

I would suggest we order everything from MD.  :D

I'd just get the bulk Kak as well, plus I will add my lights which will add another $120 to the order.  Rest looks like it can be aquired at HD.

I found a floral customer of mine, Glass Distributors, which also sells plexi.

They will deliver a 4x8x1/4" CAST black sheet to my shop for $150.00 plus tax and I might be able to loose the tax with my tax number.

Guys, my time and gas is worth way more than that to me, and now you.

Unless I get stiff opposistion, and someone else can go fetch it for $140.00, I'm planning to have them deliver it by NEXT weekend. I'm also going to talk to our buddies in the DIY CA reactor and ask if they would like in.

It works out to about $15.00 per guy and includes the plexi for the fins, both circles for the top and a base.

The plexi part totals about $40.00 , so with the other stuff including powerhead we will be less or at the $60.00ish we guesstimated earlier.

Speak now or I'm buying it!

Chip

Chip,

You have my vote in for it.

Forget about gas. Time is even more valuable. Hence getting it delivered home for a few

extra bucks wins hands down.

I am sure the other members will feel the same way.

More over, getting a 4x8ft sheet requires a truck. Can't put it inside or on the roof of a car

either. :)

-krish

Hey Chip

go for it,

I priced out the misc parts at MD and it worked out to be around $20 per person. To that we need to add rigid airline since MD doesn't sell that.

I can get some of the Misc parts and bring them when I come.

Just let me know.

Chris

We will begin at 10:00am on the 19th. in my Teepee in McLean.

We plan a pretty aggressive schedule with safety a priority.

Let's plan a chat to get tools/supplies together.

Someone please take the lead on the chat, I'm availible most evenings after 9:30-10:00p

LMK via PM please.

Chip

Chip / All,

I'm very sorry, but there is about a 80%+ chance I will not be in town this weekend.  I still want to build one, and will kick in my share of the $, but if someone else wants my spot and is able to make it I will understand.  If the tools I offered are desired, let me know and I can drop them some time this week.  

Again, I am very sorry. It is something that just can't be avoided.

OK,

So we are meeting at Chips on the 19th at 10am.

Folks,

I HAVE A PICKUP :)

Probably either Thursday or Friday at lunchtime, if you want, I'll pickup the 4'x8'x1/4" Black Plexi if need be and take to Chips? LMK if and where?

Howard

Grav - not a problem, we'll save you stuff.

Howard - the plexi is being delivered to the shop this week and I'll throw it in the back of one of my delivery vans.

It's too easy this way since I'm busy on wednesday making an oven..

We may have 3-4 more kits for people to get.

The weather looks like it will cooperate completely and prove to be an excellent day on Sunday.

RAIN.........................

Plan to be here by 10:00am but not much earlier. We have teenage boys.

I did not get as much done today as I had hoped so we will still need to make a j i g to cut the tube.

Put you TC's on, I have a 12" compound mitre saw so start thinking of a j i g.

Really hard to work under a tarp, but I did get the oven floor laid and the back and side walls built.

I had hoped to have the oven dome started or completed but................. RAIN.

Do we or will we have a photographer in the tribe? My wife Sonya will have light refreshments.

Bring what ever tools you want but I have a router and saw.

See you on Sunday morning,

Chief