DIY  KALK reactor folks

flowerseller

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to go ahead and ask to get in on the 2' of 6" tubing, but will be providing my own sheet acrylic for the base and top. Also, anyone want to put int a group order somwhere for the additional parts, powerheads, kalk? I can work on that if there drygood recommendations?

On Friday I plan to go to Aleaxandria to pick up 220 firebrick and 4-5 bags of heatsink fireclay and sand.

If I have time, I may stop by the plastic place there. What's the name of that place there in Alexandria?

From USplastic.com it's like $9.00 pf plus shipping for 6"od extruded tube. $54.00 tube.

If the price is close, I may just pick up a couple tubes and be done with it so long as they have it.

What's the name of the plastic place?

Thanks in advance.  ]]]bdwn

Chip

Guest HVF21221
Chip, When you get a count of 6' lengths you need let me know. I will call the place up here to compare for you. Howard

Wylee coyote at ACME plastic will sell us 6- 6"od tubes (extruded) for $63.00 each.

That will make 18 of Howards design kalk reactors @24" tall.

I spoke to Glenn and we plan to pick them up as early as 9/3 if I get to that side of Alexandria.

That's $21.00 per unit for just the tube. If that's too steep for what ever reason for your blood, nows the time to back out.

The finished unit, depending on where we get the powerheads and fittings, will be 60-65 bucks each.

Chip

I show these people as sending me thier numbers and being serious about making a kalk reactor.

Chip-3      GaryL

Howard     Doug

Glenn-2     Krish

Luke         Phong

Chris         Grav

WAMAS

If your not on this list and think you sent me your #, I didn't get it. Do it now.

As of now, looks like we have 4 slots (units) left, unless others on the list above plan to make more than 1. The "tribe" plans to donate 1 to WAMAS to raffle.  

Chief Wannakalkreactor

Chief,

I'm in.  Sorry, I didn't make that clear.  

$65 Couldn't include a drip pump, right?  Are we on our own there?  I found one for about $70.  dunno if we could get a deal on a dozen.

Phil

It will only include what we foresee right now to make the reactor in itself.

Glenn and I believe it should be ready to "hook up" to your application.

You will still need a delivery method, all the hose to and from, an appliance timer to mix up kalk, and some flexibilty on time.

WE are currently looking at 9/12 cut - 9/19 build,* however, I may ask to move the cut to 9/19 if I fall behind on the wood fired pizza oven/outdoor fireplace.

With no disrepect ---- MY family and that schedules preempts anything!

Again,  cut date 9/12 * may move to 9/19 but not likely

build date 9/19

The only part I see as difficult is cutting the 6" tube to length. No supplier is willing to cut it without an outrages charge so we're on our own.

I think we can make a censord.gif  * to do this and be more than happy with the results.

*    J*I*G - what could that have implied?  bsg

Got the tube today. $22.50 w/tax per 2' piece.

We need to determine who want's black acrylic vs clear.

We need almost a whole sheet unless someone has scrap

black 4x8=$142.00 - sold only by 4x8 sheets

clear  4x8=$107.00 - sold as cut offs by the # but sometimes more $ given waste.

I want black since it makes for a nicer looking finished product.

We will also need both glues #3 & #16.

Someone want to be the guy haggling for 12+ powerheads  (maxijet 400s)

If you are in town this weekend maybe we can have a chat sunday PM 9:00

WAMAS chat room  - diy

Chip,

Sorry, missed on the Sunday chat.

Lets go with the black sheet. Sure does look good.

My Ca reactor has blue sheet.

The the 4x8 is divided up among a bunch of folks, the

cost difference is marginal.

Please let me know if no one has picked up the purchase of

the 12+ powerheads( maxijet 400's).

I can run with it. Please confirm.

thanks

krish

I will take on the Maxi jet order. I am sending emails out to all the suppliers to see who will give us the best price. If anyone has contacts locally please contact them so we can compare prices.

Chris

OK Guys

Here's where we stand so far.

Marine Depot will give us a discount afterwe spend  $250 so they are $12.95 +shipping

Ebay has em for $11.66 each + shipping

Koi Lagoon will sell them for $10.00 each + shipping.

I am still waiting on quotes from a couple others I will keep you updated.

Chris

Chris,

Sweet job on the MJ400's so far. Looks like our reactors will hold about 2.65 gallons of kalk solution given

5.75"id x 23.5"  tube height.  6x24.

I think Glenn posted these PH pump 106gph so we'll turn it over about 40 times per hour.

That should keep it pretty much in solution all the time. I have no problem adding cloudy water to

my tank since it's a 220 and clears up in a heartbeat.

OK guys, if I goofed on my calculations, let us all know.  :p

I didn't get home until 9:45 or so. Sorry I missed it.

Chris, I was looking to purchasing a few MH lights. Would get them from MD, so that would easily put our order over the $250. Let me know if I can get that in, or if you you can't cover I can take the order for ya. Is anyone ordering Kalk, or most going with pickling lime or similar?

Chip thanks for picking up the tube. Hve we found a way to cut it straight? One recomendation from a frined was that if we cannot put it on a bandsaw and make it straight, put it on a lathe somewhere? I may have access to that. Why doesn't someone have a nice 5 axis CNC mill in their home? The nerve of you people! :)

DOug

Foreword:  j i g is censored [crzy]

There are two ways to cut the tubing that I know of.  One is to create a censord.gif to use with a table saw.  You would fashion a trough you can roll the tubing in while using the saw's fence to get the right length.  Something like a ripped 4x4 into 45's.  I would mount the censord.gif to the table so it would not jump around... since squareness is important for a good bond.  For your build you would need a saw capable of a 20" cut.  This method is kind of like cutting a flat sheet, except you are really rolling the material into the blade.    

The other is to use a chop/miter saw.  The chop saw is the "easiest", you just need to pay particular care on having things square and cutting it quickly.  A spinning blade through the full diameter will create more overall heat than using the censord.gif and table saw.

J I G is the censored word.

With a carbide bladeon medium/fast speed, I've rolled 8" tubes in a censord.gif on my shopsmith before with success.

It's just a tedious process that wears on you.

I've also cut 4.5" tube on my chop saw, also with carbide. I think we can rotate it on the chop with a censord.gif and stop fence.

If it rains on Wednesday I may fiddle with that if I can't work on the PO outside.

I'll post pics when I get a password to the gallery.

Chip

Hi Guys

I have all the quotes back on the MJ 400 and it looks like Koi Lagoon is giving us the best price at $10 a piece. I just sent another email to them letting them know we need delivery by the 17th and asked for shipping price. If anyone can find them cheaper please let me know.

I do need a solid count of how many to buy and I can bring them to the build party.

One last thing.

I was wondering if we (I) could make a mode to the design to add a 3/4 inch threaded PVC pipe to the top. I figured I could use this as a port to insert my PH probe for testing to see when I need a Kalk recharge. The pipe would have a threaded cap that I could take off, insert the probe and put the cap back on to make a solid seal when not testing.

Thanks Chris

Hi Doug

I like Marine Depot but even at the highest discount which is 8.5% the MJ's from them are still going to cost $11.85 a piece.

Thanks for the offer though I do think they would be good for a group buy in th near future. I know some of us need dosing pumps so MD might be good for those in a group buy situation.

Wadda ya think?

Chris

I found a dose pump for about $70. I just called and left a msg and will follow up on Wed to see if we can get a better deal on a bulk purchase.  At the minium we should at least be able to save on shipping.  

Who would want one?

Phil

PS. Are we "go" for the cut party on Sunday?  Where?  My 2 cents on the time would be as early as possible.

I can bring:

10 inch compound miter saw

10 inch table saw (cheapo)

Router / table

Bench grinder

5 axis CNC Mill (oh no wait, I keep that at my mill in Vermont)