DIY  KALK reactor folks

flowerseller

Guest samc99us

I'd be willing to do a Jan 2006 or even Feb 2006 build. I'm working my way to SPS domination, so I'm probably going to need one of these. I'll read through the thread, I can probably do a build by myself if I have to. A small group would be fine with me. Also, if it would help, I have access to tools for practically everything (like 1/2 a machine shop), so making some of the parts for the build might be an option for me.

Sam

Edited by samc99us

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im down!

Guest alex wlazlak

how much money is it for all the materials needed? id probly be interested in buying one if you guys could make an extra one. what are all the materials that are needed? maybe i can TRY to make one in shop class.

Guest samc99us

From the pictures I've looked at, the square reactors look relativly inexpensive. I'd say around $30 without the pump. Its acrylic, glue, a bunch of fittings, and some pvc.

Sam

From the pictures I've looked at, the square reactors look relativly inexpensive. I'd say around $30 without the pump.  Its acrylic, glue, a bunch of fittings, and some pvc.

Sam

45978[/snapback]

$30 sounds good. I'm not worries about the shape just want something that works well and looks ok. LMK when you want to do this

Guest alex wlazlak
https://home.comcast.net/~hoobandnic/Kalk%20Reactor.htm . is that the one you guys will be making? it doenst seem bad at all, except for the whole cutting of the plug. i tried to shorten up an extention chord and i did it wrong...BAM, my whole room lost power. if it wouldnt be a hassle for you guys to make an extra one than id pay for the materials and id pay whoever makes it. do you guys think that would be a problem errrrrrrrrr...................... if not than id probly ATTEMPT to make one myself. reply back please :)

https://home.comcast.net/~hoobandnic/Kalk%20Reactor.htm . is that the one you guys will be making? it doenst seem bad at all, except for the whole cutting of the plug. i tried to shorten up an extention chord and i did it wrong...BAM, my whole room lost power. if it wouldnt be a hassle for you guys to make an extra one than id pay for the materials and id pay whoever makes it. do you guys think that would be a problem errrrrrrrrr...................... if not than id probly ATTEMPT to make one myself. reply back please  :)

45986[/snapback]

i depends what we choose as a group i guess and money comes into play too. The one in your link would cost more money because the clear tube is pretty expensive. I believe its about $100 to make that one if i recall hearing correctly. The one for $30 is just a square one. If you want one why dont you come and help build it then you will learn something and then later can tweek it if need be because you know whats going on with it.

https://home.comcast.net/~hoobandnic/Kalk%20Reactor.htm . is that the one you guys will be making? it doenst seem bad at all, except for the whole cutting of the plug. i tried to shorten up an extention chord and i did it wrong...BAM, my whole room lost power. if it wouldnt be a hassle for you guys to make an extra one than id pay for the materials and id pay whoever makes it. do you guys think that would be a problem errrrrrrrrr...................... if not than id probly ATTEMPT to make one myself. reply back please  :)

45986[/snapback]

i depends what we choose as a group i guess and money comes into play too. The one in your link would cost more money because the clear tube is pretty expensive. I believe its about $100 to make that one if i recall hearing correctly. The one for $30 is just a square one. If you want one why dont you come and help build it then you will learn something and then later can tweek it if need be because you know whats going on with it.

Guest alex wlazlak

id love to, but its hard for me to come down since i live in PA. my mom lives in woodbridge and its always hard to do stuff when im only there for a few days everyother weekend. how long is it estimated to take to build one? if we can do it in a long day, that'd work if i could make it down.

• 10 months later...

How are these doing? It's been 2 years now.

Mine has worked great and done as I had hoped.

I noticed on one that got damaged and I fixed it for them that the owner had screwed the exit fitting in too far which allows for air to become trapped at the top. This fitting should be flush with the top which allows for air to be purged on the first fill.

How are these doing? It's been 2 years now.

Mine has worked great and done as I had hoped.

I noticed on one that got damaged and I fixed it for them that the owner had screwed the exit fitting in too far which allows for air to become trapped at the top. This fitting should be flush with the top which allows for air to be purged on the first fill.

i need to do the mods you done to yours and get it back online. but waiting for DI resin first....

• 10 months later...

I'm curious who is still using the reactor from the FIRST build party.

I led several of these parties but I'm most interested in the FIRST build.

I realize many of the hobbiests are no longer in the hobby or frequent the board.

I have added a newer way to recharge this unit and would like to share it with those that have it and still use it.

I've had nothing but great success with this thing, as simple as it is, but have learned much more than from it's continued use.

I know reactors in general need to be recharged a little more often than much literature suggests. once a week to 10 days seems to be optimum

It also needs to be emptied and recharged about every month as every other type reactor probably should.

It's a sealed reactor, meaning the mixing takes place in the absence of air, which I continue to suggest has multiple benifits.

I wish I had thought of an easier way for it to remain sealed but recharge as often I learned to be best.

You can post here or PM if you're more comfortable.

Still have, works great, what the mod?

I have mine from the second build. I noticed mine has a slow leak somewhere on the bottom. I also need to trim down the exit fitting to make it flush because i do have a pocket of air. My only issue i would like to fix is easy way to drain it and flanges or screw off type top to refill it. Other than that it still works great.

For mine, I just allow it to back flow until the water level is below the flange.

Then I unscrew a 1/2" union I recently added to the exit line after the fitting.

It works great and no fuss no muss.

Drain your reactor and drop it off with me. I'll reseal the bottom with an outside joint.

The mistake on the second build was clearly the decision of not cutting the groove like we did on the first.

I should have insisted on it but.......

One things I've learned about group builds is everyones level of workmanship is different, and they take direction/guidence different than others.

I've noticed that during the web hosting conversion, the thread post #'s on the first page or two are not in the correct order and some pics did not get transfered over.

the ones I can see not there are not that critical so if you're reading this, you're not really missing out.

Mine still working, still using, but have been making another stirrer type (for way, way, too long) to replace it. I have way too much sps load to keep replacing with the screwtop attachment. 3 pumps have been used in 3 years.

thanks buddy. ill let you know when i drain it. You got any extra rigid airline tubing? i cannot find the thicker stuff so it doesnt flow in through the bottom

Edited by phisigs79

Mine still working, still using, but have been making another stirrer type (for way, way, too long) to replace it. I have way too much sps load to keep replacing with the screwtop attachment. 3 pumps have been used in 3 years.

Look to see if you have an air bubble at the top. If you do, that's your main problem and

either "burping" out that bubble or sawing the fitting flush will end that pump issue.

thanks buddy. ill let you know when i drain it. You got any extra rigid airline tubing? i cannot find the thicker stuff so it doesnt flow in through the bottom

I only offer same day delivery on flowers, not reactor repairs. :biggrin:

plus I'm not responsible for B2 reactors

Flower, reactors whats the difference? Actullay i still have a valid warranty on this Chip-o-Kalk-erator. Wanna see it?

• 4 months later...

I finally had to replace the powerhead in my reactor. It had been acting up over the last week and must have locked up in the last few days.

Actually, I could have replaced just the impeller but didn't have another one but did have a used AC301 lying around.

The liquid cord grip makes it a cinch to replace, even with a florists schedule this time of year.

Doug, you have to see if you have a bubble at the top.

If you do, bring over one day, we;ll have cigars and fix it.

My pump has lasted 3 or more years until the impeller froze. I just replaced the PH since i had one lying around.

• 2 years later...

I'm still using this reactor and loving it's use..

The pages are mixed up a bit from a few server upgrades tot he forums over the years and most of the pictures are not showing.

There's a lot of chatter in this thread since about 15 people or more were involved in the build.

I can not find the link for the second biuld but it might have pics.

i was in on the first build. interior power head with a tittle TP in the middle. mine still works also...when i use it...