Protein Skimmers

Boret

have you thought of the Reeflo 200 // its right around your $600 mark. It looks like an excellent skimmer. I am thinking about getting that when i upgrade my tank. Plus you can always upgrade that skimmer if your needs arise.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will research a bit more and add it to the list.

I am trying to put pics and info as well as prices so that it might help others in the market for a skimmer.

I believe the Octopus and MSX are the same skimmer. For whatever reason, I could not get the skimmer to work correctly. After several months of trying to fix it over the phone with customer support, they finally had me send the pump back to them. The problem was that it kept overflowing the skimmer cup. It would work great for 2-3 days and start collecting a lot of waste in the cup and then out of nowhere it would overflow sending all the waste back into my system. Apparently the needle wheel inside the pump was out of round and causing the problem, but even after getting the fixed pump back I could never get it to work well.

Some skimmers almost require a needle-valve for adjustment. One of my GreySeas - for whatever reason, will work perfectly for a week or two, and then start bubbling clear water into the collection cup. If I adjust the output higher, I get no skimmate. If I then adjust it lower, I get water. Then I get it dialed in again, and it works fine. So when it pulls the 'full of water' trick, I just empty it out and start it up again, and it's usually good for a few more weeks. One of those mysteries.

bob

Reeflo 200 $649.95

Specifications:

* System Capability (gallons): 100 - 400

* Air Flow: 1,500 liters per hour

* Recommended Water Flow: 300-600 gph

* Footprint: 16" x 16"

* Diameter: 8"

* Height: 27 3/8"

* Neck: 5

* Cup Size: 8"x6"

* Drain Output: 1 1/2

reeflo_200.jpg

If the Reeflo is now on your list of potential purchases, then that is the one I will DEFINITELY recommend for you. I have the 250 and it is a beast. Zoozilla and Bendalat also have the 250, and they will tell you the same thing. The bubble mixture that the Sequence pump creates is like no other. Get that one!!!!

It seems a small body at 8" for that pump. Wouldn't a 10" body fit it better? The 250 has almost 12" body but it jumps to $999.95 :(

I have a 90 w/ 30 gal sump mixed SPS/LPS and have been running DNW-150 and cant get the skim the my licking...turboflotor 1000 multi beats is hands down.

Hey Boret,

I have a BM 250. You are welcome to test it out. The catch is you break you pay. If you're interested, PM LMK.

BTW, that is Bubble Master not Bubble Magus.

Thanks for the offer Dell2go. I end up going for the SWC 300 Extreme. I will post pictures shortly.

If you can, also post a small review of the product so far. Interested in doing an upgrade at some point myself.

:lol2:

I got it a couple of days ago. These are the pictures of what I received, the cleaning process and the skimmer placed in the sump.

gallery_2631272_583_22403.jpg

gallery_2631272_583_32629.jpg

gallery_2631272_583_5611.jpg

gallery_2631272_583_16194.jpg

gallery_2631272_583_38594.jpg

gallery_2631272_583_1581.jpg

gallery_2631272_583_37095.jpg

gallery_2631272_583_33892.jpg

gallery_2631272_583_38368.jpg

I have a 90 w/ 30 gal sump mixed SPS/LPS and have been running DNW-150 and cant get the skim the my licking...turboflotor 1000 multi beats is hands down.

Hi there kngfisher.

If instead of http://www.rowelab.com/AquaController/kngfisher you use this:

[img=http://www.rowelab.com/AquaController/rc_kngfisher_sig.png]

in your signature it will look like this:

rc_kngfisher_sig.png

Oh, now look what you've gone and done. I'm looking at skimmers again!

Hey, anybody out there have any experience with the MSX-2s cone?

Oh, now look what you've gone and done. I'm looking at skimmers again!

Hey, anybody out there have any experience with the MSX-2s cone?

I considered it, but the fact that it is so new, so untested, made me go for the regular cylinder instead.

I would have done recirc, but space limitations made me lean towards this one.

Looks pretty good thus far. Definitely keep us updated on the new skimmer.

Hey James,

Let me know if you want to come over one day to help me tune it properly. You are the expert!!!!

:)

B.

Hey James,

Let me know if you want to come over one day to help me tune it properly. You are the expert!!!!

:)

B.

You seem to have it under control yourself. Looks like you just gotta let the skimmer break in, and see what it starts producing.

You seem to have it under control yourself. Looks like you just gotta let the skimmer break in, and see what it starts producing.

Oh come on James, you know you want to put some miles in your car!!! :)

Its supposed to take about 10 days to break in completely.

Got the MSX 200 and wouldn't turn back. Easiest skimmer to say the least.

Ctenophore is right about the maintainance issue. I bought a custom sump to make it easier to get the lid off and out of the stand. The 30g tall I had just made it a pain. I skim wet too, so I wasn't thrilled about getting it out everyday before. Now its no big deal.

I have the one up for sale and its a recirc that can go outside the sump.

That is what I was going to run for a frag tank. Its pretty sweet too.

But I would still go with the MSX200 if you can fit it under your stand with ease of maintainance.

I SEE that you got it! good deal

Now I might be hitting you up for help with the ACIII sig. Haven't tried or started it yet........thats later this week....

Edited by Sikryd

• 4 weeks later...