"inbox" overflow

Coral Hind

I just thought I would share an idea I had in case someone was looking for a cheap intake overflow box. So I was totally bored at work last week and I looked at my inbox hanging on my door and thought, "that would make a cool overflow box". Of course I didn't take mine but my safety officer was surprised when he came to work the next day and his inbox was missing. :ph34r:

I scrapped the old double sided tape off and siliconed it in. This skims the surface a lot better then the two 1" pipes I had and it surely doesn't gurgle like they did either. This "inbox" was made by rubbermaid.

endshotbefore.jpg

Before shot with two 1" pipes.

endshotafter.jpg

After shot with the "inbox" overflow installed over the bulkheads.

RightSide.jpg

The angle of the "inbox" does not take up as much space as other intake overflows.

FTS.jpg

Finally the FTS

Edited by Coral Hind

I think this is seriously innnovative! Someone will patent this someday.............

And the tank is really lovely.

Maureen

Very nicely done! I'll bet that angle not only takes up less space, but also contributes to lower noise since you don't have quite the waterfall effect going. One thought, though, you may have to vacuum the bottom of that vee every once in a while as it will probably act as a sediment trap (unless there's some good water action going on down there to keep solids in suspension). I like it.

Edited by Origami2547

Anthony Calfo would smile...

That is a mini-Calfo overflow. :)

bob (the guy with a full-length Calfo overflow on his 240)

Very nice David. I'm guessing you just drained the tank down to the bottom of the inbox to silicone it in, how long did you let it cure for? Did you just spray the corals periodically to keep them wet?

Thanks. I did this during a water change. I moved some of the corals to the bottom of the tank. Lowered the water down and took a razor blade to the glass. As you guessed I splashed water on the exposed corals about every minute or so. Siliconed it in and within ten minutes I filled the tank back up. I did not add anything special like carbon and the skimmer performed normally.

am i the only one that doesn't know what an inbox is?

Generally speaking - the kind he used is 'stuck' to a door. If you want to leave a file folder for someone, you put it in their V-shaped box on the door. See them a lot at Doctor's offices.

bob

• 3 weeks later...

sorry for the dumb question....

but how can you silicon it underwater?

i was looking for something similar since i added 2 more tubes to shiphon water from the display tank since my drain pipe wasn't taking enough water down....

and how safe is it for the tank? does it release any toxic chemical or anything like that?

Post #11 mentions I drained the tank down part way during a water change and siliconed it in. Then filled the tank back up. I've used 100% silicone like this before and nothing bad has ever happened. For peace of mind, just put in fresh carbon or poly-filter to absorb any off-gasing.

• 2 weeks later...

I checked on the boxes at staples last night. They didn't have a back to them, just the front and sides. Is that what yours looks like? If it's well siliconed it shouldn't matter I don't think, but it looks different from other overflow boxes I've seen.

How many other people do you work with in your office? You could stay late one day get all of them and then re-sell them to us. We wont say anything if you give a good price. :)

• 3 months later...
How many other people do you work with in your office? You could stay late one day get all of them and then re-sell them to us. We wont say anything if you give a good price. :)

hahaha

Cool idea btw!