DIY Ca and Kalk reactors

michaelg

Sounds good to me.  Whenever you've got a free lunchtime.  Coffee at the Cybercafe will work too.

Edit: I'll send an email.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's anotehr peristaltic pump to check out - this one's cheaper!

http://iprocessmart.com/apt/so100.htm

J

Wow.  I'm gonna call these guys.  Could be a real value.  Can be ordered with an ABS housing + Switch...

I'll find out a bit more about the life expectency of tubing over the rollers, as that is the biggest problem with the medical pumps.

s

Guest Wombat

Michael,

The design looks good to me.

I work in DC and am flexible about a lunchtime meeting or two.

Simon

I have built (and still use) both a Ca and a kalk reactor.  Scroll down in this thread to see pics (might give you guys some more ideas)...

http://reefs.org/phpBB2....tart=20

A few notes for those interested in these types of designs...

I found the 4"X2" reducer and 2" union top was both cost effective and much easier to seal than the big 4" cleanout plug tops shown on many DIY PVC reactor designs.

Also, since those pics I have changed all fittings to John Guest speed fittings and plumbed everything with 1/4" OD plastic line (both reactors).  The plastic line is cheap and commonly available in opaque colors (so that algae growth doesn't become a problem in the lines).  I now use a JG ball valve fitting on the Ca reactor output line instead of the needle valve shown.  Cheaper and seems to work well enough to make effluent adjustments (and works with the plastic line)...

Another note - I found the the ball valve was not needed on the kalk reactor.  A MJ400 provides gentle mixing even with the valve fully opened, so I never restrict it.  I use a digital appliance timer to activate the mixing pump for a 1 minute run, several times a night (I only dose kalk at night).

HTH

BTW, for those looking for an alternative to using a peristaltic pump to feed your kalk reactor, a digital appliance timer controlling a feed pump (ie. small powerhead, vacuum pump, etc.) works pretty well.  The digital timers are generally controllable down to 1 minute intervals and can have up to 14 on/off cycles per day. Total cost of pump + timer is about $30-$35.  

These timers can also be useful in combination with a float switch too.  You can use the timer to limit how much the pump could run in a day in the event of a switch failure.  You can also use it to control when the pump can run (ex. say you only want to dose kalk at night).  Basically, you get all the benefits of using a float switch with a few added features.  

Just a few thoughts I have had after trying a bunch of different stuff (trial and error)...

I want to come to the building party, as I am interested in a reactor.  However, after reading through the thread, I wonder if I would be better served with building a calcium reactor or Kalk reactor...?  Currently, I drip about 2 gallons worth of kalk a day that I mix up the night before.  I have to do that just to keep up with the needs of the sps, clams, etc.

I originally thought I would be building a calcium reactor, but now I'm not sure...?  Would I be better served to build a calcium reactor or kalk reactor...?

Cheers

Mike

I would say to make a calcium reactor if you are currently topping off with kalkwasser.

But, it's nice to have both. :D

I'm making a calcium reactor in my spare time,(tube) and would like to see about making a

kalk reactor at the building party or on my own later.

Chip

Mike,

I would start with a Kalk Reactor, in the very least it would save you from mixing kalk every day.  All you would have to do is pump 2 gallons through the reactor each day.  Also if the dripping is yielding good parameters, then you are in the green IMO.

i would like to be in also but still unsure about the cost and when it will be, let us know thanks

what would we all need to bring for said activities  rk

I'd be in for the Kalk reactor- Grav how is that home made drip design working?

I still mix mine 1g each night - would sure like to get a 5+G canister to drip-- or a kalk reactor.Keep us posted when the party is happening

Lee,

It has worked "okay" kept my water level alright while I was away, and has reduced the work of mixing calk every day or two.  The the effect of gravity changing the drip rate is less than I had expected, however getting it "right" so that the water level neither goes up or down is a little tough.  Perhaps this is extra tricky with a 33g with no sumo to compensate for water level changes.  

I swirl the 2L bottle about 2x per day.  I put a lot of balls lime in there at the start and have yet to need to add more. Tank looks about the same, which is very good compared to 3 or 4 months ago before I was dripping Kalk at all, but the work is much much less.

• 2 weeks later...
What is the status on the plans for building the kalk reactors.  The Ca reactor people are hoping to build at the end of August.  How many are there on the kalk end?  We will probably have a cutting get together, and try to arrange the assembly at TRT.  Did someone volunteer to be the lead?

I want in on the Kalk Reactor DIY party.

I already own a MTC Procal Ca Reactor, so would need only the Kalk reactor.

-krish

I would also like to be in on this party, Is there any way we could get our acrylic needs together to join with the cal folks and maybe get a bigger discount?

Chris

• 2 weeks later...
Seems we have a lot of indians myself included and no chiefs.  If we are not gonna do this, I may make a CA reactor with the other crew.

• 1 month later...
Guest mmcaleer

Is this ever going to take place or was it dropped?  Sorry, I have been travelling for the past few months and do not know what has been discussed.

Mike

Mike,

It happened, you missed it.  We made 17 in all and each is spoken for.  Check out the other thread, it's up to 11 pages.

• 4 weeks later...

Are we doing a CA reactor group project? If so I'd like to make one as well. When are we getting started? It's been a while sense I've heard or read any news on the CA reactor.

Luke C.

Someone was looking at making a square design one.

I have one started but for some reason got stalled on it. Then we made the kalk reactors and I am really liking it a lot!

As some of you know, I'm making a 2 tower 4.5" tube and now may put the pump inside like we did on our DIY kalkreactor.

What kind are you all thinking of making? I may want to join in.

I much prefer not to have the water flow down onto the media as it does on the square one in the second chamber.

I believe it could/will begin to pack down on the "draw side" of the pump since it's really one chamber divided in two.

Plus, since the way I'm using my kalk reactor and the stirring sequence vs water pump in(top off), are we really going to need a two chamber calcium reactor too? I can tell my calcium level is up by simply looking in. Just not how up. I own no test kits and a 10 year old ph probe.  Anyone interested in coming over and testing my water? I'd sure appreciate it if nothing else.

tng

Chief Wannacalciumreactor

Ok I want one of these toooooooooooo..

SO lets get started. Chip you had some ideas on design.

I can test your water if you like, I know my system is holding steady with Ca at 475 and Alk at 4 since I started up my Kalk reactor.

I run the kalk reactor 24x7 my PH runs between 8.0 night and 8.2 day.

Chris