Roberts O2 will sell you their 5lb tank with CO2 for $105 the very first

time you walk in with you vallet. :)

The next time, when you take your tank to them for an exchange, you

will fork out $22.

As far as the going price of a used 5lb bottle in the open market, don't

know. You could be lucky and find the bottle for real cheap like some

folks did.

-krish

Sorry if the question wasn't clear - what I was asking is whether or not the filled 5# tank Roberts is selling initially for $105 is a new or used tank...

It's for a used tank- buy you return it for a used one. Unlike when I bought my fist tank of propane for the grill.  Stated with a new one and have had a used one ever since. Robert's supplies a lot of places, including NIH, and I feel pretty confident that the bottles are in good shape.

When should we set a date for this building party?  Any volunteers to host?  I will check with my uncle and see what tools we can borrow- we need a table saw, or I can get a guide for my circular saw.  Chip mentioned some nice tools, and Xeon seems to be a resident acrylic master :)

Here is a list of those who are interested.

Me

Dave (morgunda)

Simon (wombat)

Chip (flowerseller)????

Jake

Nathan

wirick21

mmcaler

dave (xeon)????

Gary

Howard

Krish????

12 people possibly- maybe others who want to come and just watch.

If you got the ??? I couldn;t tell if you were definate or not.  I haven't compared prices between US Plastics and locally on the sheet.  I was planning to order the fittings from US plastics, and basic PVC parts from home depot.  If we do a group order, funds should be delivered to the order placer in advance- thus confirming you commitment.  The reeftank has offered to let us do it there, and they have plenty of space- and it's indoors so we won't get bagged if it rains.  I would think we can get mike to place a special order of corals for us as well if we are interested.  I haven't been following the kalkreactor thread, but I would like to get the calcium reactor built by mid september.  

Aug 28

Sept 4

Sept 11

Any of those dates good?  I think we are heading to penn state on the 18th- craig will let us know.

Michael,

I definitely want to attend, at least to watch. I was looking to build a kalk reactor, but need to learn how to work with these materials. Hope to get in if you do a bulk order too.

Doug

If there's enough space, TRT sounds like a good choice.  Even if it is a bit of a schlep for us MDers.  I will be out of town the weekends of 8/7 and 8/14, and unavailable 9/4 weekend.  What constraints do other people have?

I'm am running this through the officers area now to work out details on doing this at TRT.  Becomes an issue of space, tools, and time if there is a whole lot of cutting going on for 20+ people for both groups.  Seems like there is strong interest in both the calcium reactor and the other reactor.  I'm sure Mike and Grimm would prefer to have a larger group of us in, and they were enthusiastic about hosting this event.  Coordination with them has been slowed as they wanted us to work out the details of designs.  I will check with them if they can get the acrylic cheaper for us than the sources we are checking.  Can someone check prices for 24x48 inch sheets from the local places?  If the kalk reactor group gets going, then what might work best is to have a cutting/dry fitting get together for just us, then finish assembly either on our own or at TRT.  Personally, one of the things I want to learn from this is how to properly do the joints.  The last job I did was real messy.  Perhaps with all the scrap, we can make some acrylic power head holders using the heat gun :)

Hi Guys

I just found this tread and count me in if there is still room. I would like to participate in creating a reactor or if there is no more room I would like to attend to see how it's done and help where I can.

I have a small table saw and router with table so if I can help in acrylic prep please let me know.

Thanks Chris

We will count you in for sure.  Nothing has been ordered yet, and it seems like we will be picking up the acrylic locally- more details on this to follow.  Will know exact price once we have a true head count.

Michael,

I would like to join the Kalk reactor party.

Looking at the cost of the pump/Co2/bubble counter etc, i might skip the

idea to own a second Ca reactor :)

regards

-krish

I have recently come into a kalk reactor, so I'd be up for making the calcium reactor.  If it's $50-$100 for just the reactor, I could do that.

I can just order the CO2 bottle, solenoid, etc. at a later date, right?

I vote for the Sept 11 date - out of town the others.

Cheers

Mike

How about cutting on the 28th and assembly on Sept 11.  None of us are going to macna unfortunately that I know of.....  Still need a final head count so I can order the acrylic.  Some one has kindly offered to place the order for us to get a local discount, so we don't need to mail order it.

Here is the information from Aquatic Ecosystems (www.aquaticeco.com) on a reasonably priced regulator.  $69 for regulator, electric solenoid (can be used with a controller or just plug into wall to shut off if power outage), and industrial needle valve capable of 6 bubbles/minute.  Catalog # AZ19002

Confirm me for what ever date you folks set?

1 Calcium Reactor and possibly 1 Kalk?

Howard

i wont be able to make it to the 28th cutting... let me know if and when the dates are finalized. and was thiking about going to boston on the 11th :(

I have that shopsmith, carbide blades, and a jointer for quick clean easy ends.

I may be able to host it at my house if all else fails.

I am interested in more like a kalk reactor though.

No date has been set so far.

It will NOT be August 28 or Sept. 11.

Will keep you updated as soon as we work out date with TRT & get estimate on cost of each unit.

Ok thanks Craig, i have a miter saw with a  blade for cutting PVC if needed when the dates are finalized