Calcium Reactor folks

michaelg

Splitting us off from the main thread so we can have an easier time of communicating.

Dave and I met yesterday at lunch to go over the plans of DJ's reactor.  It took both of us to figure things out.  We made a list of acrylic pieces needed and the fittings.  I probably have a bunch of el's in the basement as some pipe, etc.  I will try to do a full inventory of what I can contribute.  

Pricing wise, I think it is going to be about $50 for the acrylic sheet and the john guest fittings and the few other parts we will need.  We anticipate it will be a good afternoon cutting and prepping.  Another good day gluing it together.  I have some weldon-60, we may want the thinner stuff as well and might be able to get it from another club member.  We should add in some silicon as well (I like to make sure it is sealed well).  I have a 1/2" pipe tap, will order a 3/8" and the bits needed.

We should put of a complete parts list here, so we can triple check it before placing orders, and make it easier for someone to follow the process.  I will ask around about using someones table saw for cutting the sheet.  Next question- do we want to do the assembly at TRT during the building party?  We should definately get it all cut up to start with before this date.

Items not included, are

Recirculating pump (mag 3 or dolphin 365)

Feed pump or T- from return pump.

bubble counter

CO2 tank and regulator

Reactor media

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Wombat

Sounds like a plan to me. Count me in. Has a date been set for the TRT building party?

Simon

Michael, when building my sump, my experience was that cutting and gluing the same day are easily accomplished.  If your cut list is accurate, it goes really quickly.

Might be a better strategy to dry fit up one reactor first, confirming the cut list.  Once done, rock and roll.  Easy mcShmeasy.

If the sheet already true (meaning square, 90deg angles all around), then you can get buy with a circular saw and a rip guide.  That is what I have and did use on my sump.  Worked nicely.

I have Weldon #3 and #16 and a single needle applicator.  Can donate if someone picks it up.

s

Ok if the budget is anout $50, you can count me in.  When is the TRT party?  I will like to get going with this too.  What can I bring to the assembly line?  DO we need glue, sylicon, etc.  LMK what type and I can help?

Jacob

Guest clownfish4
Where do we get the CO2 tanks and regulators?  Also Jake, the budget is well over 50 dollars.  He said it was 50 for the acrylic.  The mag 3 alone costs $45 on petsmart.com.  Personally, I think about $100 would be a better estimate, for the pump, CO2 canister and regulator, media, and everything else we need.  Still don't know if I am in or not....depends on when it is.

Guest mmcaleer

Is there any way we could get a headcount then look for a bulk buy on the regulators, bubble counter, media, pumps, Co2 tanks and maybe even the acrylic needed?  It would have to be a pay up front for the buy.

I am in.

Mike

Guest clownfish4
Instead of having a seperate pump, can we plumb the reactor so that the water from our return goes through it?  In other words, the water goes into the sump, then pumped through the reactor and back into the tank.

You can have your supply off of your return pump, but you need a circulation pump.  This is the pump that sits on the plate of the Ca reactors.  The construction of the box is peanuts, not even close to $50 worth.  The real cost of a Ca reactor is in the solenoid valve, CO2 tank, circulating pump, and other ancilliary items.  You might as well get a pH controller while you are at it.  hehe  

I did a quick take on the diagram I printed out on the DJ88 design and this is a rough cut list I came up with. (Note: could be wrong since I didn't spend much time on it)

Side 1 6.75 x 17

Side 2 6.75 x 17

Front 7.25 x 17

Back 7.25 x 17

bottom 7.25 x 7.25

Top Flange 8.5 x 8.5

Cover Flange 8.5 x 8.5

Divider 6.75 x 16

Media Tray 3 x 6.75

3 - Bottom Supports 2.75 x 7.25

Bottom Pedestal 8 x 10 ????

Roughly this comes up to about 941 square inches if I did not miss anything.  So you could get at least two and a piece of another out of a half sheet (4x4).  If you are building three, I'd pick up scraps to finish with... else a full sheet would get you almost five.  Again I'd pick up some scraps to finish if five was the goal.  (Assuming my calcs are right)  Joint cost for Acrylite FF 1/4" or  3/16" would be much less than $50 each.

Ditto's on being in!

I have some tools, 9' of 1" PVC Pipe available in case we need it?

Anything at ReefTopia that we can order on the 9Aug order date that we could use?

Howard

Pump is say 30 bucks.

The CO2 bottle will be around $105 at Roberts O2. This is for a 5lb bottle.

The regulator is atleast around say 50 bucks approx.

Don't know about the CO2 bubble counter.??

As it stands, it is say 30+105+50+??? = 185+???

Now finally for the acrylic + fittings = $50

so it will be $50 + $185 + ??? = $235 + ???

Is that approximately accurate ? :)

thanks

krish

Guest mmcaleer

I found someone that sells the Milwaukee regulator and bubble counter for $69.  I know you can get tanks online cheaper.  I would recommend at least a 10lb. tank if you have the room.

They also sell a kit which includes the regulator and controller for $149.99

Mike

sure. If you have the space and can afford it, go what a 10lb bottle.

I replace my 5lb bottle every 2 months.

-krish

The regulators and bubble counters, we may have some bargining power on with someone like premium aquatics.  We can't buy stuff officially under WAMAS (long story), but this does in no way prevent us from telling them what we are up to and getting them to cut us a deal.  Other suppliers we are friendly with are Champion lighting.  Both have donated to us several times in the Past..... North Coast Marines and Aquatic Eco-systems are also options.  The problem with empty tanks is the refill- we covered this before so those interested should try to find the thread.  

$150 for a regulator and controller is a good deal, can you contact them and see if they can drop it lower if we purchase 4+ units?  Not sure how many we need.  I don't need any thing myself= this reactor is to replace my old one.

Seen empty tanks for around $70 but never researched it further= probably some cheaper sources out there.  Keep in mind the roberts price is for a full tank( refill is $20 something).

Michael

Clownfish4 and others, If you look at Marine Depot, they have a T-fitting where one part of the T is for 3/16" tube.  This feeds my reactor.  Simple, and no seperate pump needed.  Costs a couple bucks less than a maxijet.

Michael

If you get your tank at a beverage or welding supply place that does tank rotations, you can get a deal on a used tank.  I got a 15# tank this way for about $40 (filled).

Roberts will exchange the empty tank and give a full one. It is about

$22 with taxes for the 5lb bottle.

-krish

Michael,

You are saying that you are using your main circulation pump to feed

the reactor.

The reactor requires a pressure rated pump.

Your idea is very enticing.

I want to run my dual stage MTC procal from the Sequence pump as

well and dis-engage the dedicated Little giant pump.

Do you think it will work?

-krish

Where???  Please share!  None on our radars are that cheap.

I got my bottle up in NY (I have a house up there) - the place is a local welding supply and they were having some type of sale on the 15 pounders.  They only do tank rotations - not on-site refills, so they always have lots of used tanks sitting around (full).  

I'm new to the area, so I don't know of any similar places locally yet (haven't looked) but I will post here if I find something.  I'll be looking for somewhere to do refills...

Chris, the reason I asked is because Robert's Oxygen is the place around here where most of us do the tank exchange.  The price above of $105 is pretty accurate for the first tank.  Refills are $22 for either a 5 lb or a 15 lb.  They do not have 10lb tanks.  I will look over Dave's list....  guess we know Dave's other hobby :)