• 1 year later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
22 minutes ago, extreme_tooth_decay said:

Christmas seems to be coming around about once a year these days.

Geez, Tim, just about as often as we're seeing you around, too. How the heck are you doing?

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you, too.

19 hours ago, Origami said:

Geez, Tim, just about as often as we're seeing you around, too. How the heck are you doing?

Oh, and Merry Christmas to you, too.

I'm doing well, thanks.

I just got back from my annual Hawaii snorkeling trip.  It's amazing the quantity and variety of fish there.

I saw eels longer and bigger around than my arm, rays, octopus, dolphins, turtles, sharks, huge schools of yellow and lavendar tang...achilles, moorish idols, several types of boxfishes, even a huge school of porcupine puffers, I've never seen them in a school before...and tons of other fish.

I don't try to take underwater pics anymore, I just enjoy the fish, but here's a pic from last year's trip when I hiked up to an active lava flow.  If it looks like I'm in a lot of pain in this pic, that's because I am.  That stuff is super hot, it was burning me at that distance.

HotLava1.jpg

Edited by extreme_tooth_decay

Flowing rock. What a strange thing to see up close.

And a school of puffers. I've encountered them singly while diving/snorkeling, but  never schooling. 

1 hour ago, TonyInVa said:

Funny. It always amazes me when finding the snail trap doors (I would really like to know the real name).

Operculum. 

(I had to search for it.)

4 hours ago, Origami said:

And a school of puffers. I've encountered them singly while diving/snorkeling, but  never schooling. 

I've seen single porcupine puffers many times, but never a school.

There were at least 50, ranging in size from golf ball up to almost football.

I went back the next day and swam out to the same place...and they were still there.  It was right at the edge of a big drop off way out far from shore.

• 11 months later...

I'm at Blackwater Falls State Park and there is a blizzard right now, which was not in the forecast.

5 hours ago, extreme_tooth_decay said:

I went to the Dairy Godmother earlier today and had some frozen custard, which I hadn't planned to do.

LOL. 

I really wish we had a good snow for Xmas. I have this relative from FL here who has never been in snow.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...