Cutting acrylic sheet

Guest snapper

Guest snapper
Received some sheet from USP.  It's 1/4" thick.  How can I cut it to useable squares for reactor bases, without it looking like a hack-job?

Use a zero kerf saw blade on a circular/table saw.  HD sells them for cutting Linoleum and plastics.  The key is slow, consistent motion to avoid really melting the acrylic.

When drilling, you need a drill press and something to back the acrylic (e.g., scrap lumber).  At the last building party, we found that a spade bit for wood did the best compared to high speed drill bits.  I can not overstate the need to back the acrylic.  It will crack as the very last of the material is cut out of the hole.

s

Steve it totally on with what you need.  Sanding the edges down makes a big difference in the appearance as well.  FWIW, if you havent done so already, there is a super super long thread on working with acrylic over in RC DIY forum.  Basically there is a plastics guy who will help with any questions you have.  If you have a table saw and plan to get a blade, can I come over and cut some stuff for making a sump?  If you have a guide for a circular saw, that will work, though a table saw is preferable.

Michael

Nathan and David have both made a bunch of stuff from talking with them.  Hopefully they will chime in.  Getting to be that time for a building party again!  Maybe we could do a combined reactor party with a small tank party (for sumps or refugia).  Host should have required tools that are not portable :)

Michael