Donations to Schools

davelin315

I have a 2 bulb 36" T5 retrofit that I can donate. It has 6500K bulbs as I was using it for a fuge light. Its a good T5 system with Ice Cap individual reflectors. I also have a 48" T8 triple T8 fixture.

t53.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure someone can use it. Thanks Rob, you are close by as well :) . I could probably stop by next week and get it unless someone else contacts you and wants.

Scott, sorry nobody contacted you. If you still have, I could possibly use to supplement the 150's at Cedar Lane. PM me you address if you still are willing.

Thanks to all that donate. If we don't immediatly get to anyone offering, please don't be offended. Time and gas are hard to come by these days. You could also always bring to meetings when we all et together as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have a single deep red tomato clownfish available for donation to a school. It was captive bred & born here by member and raised out in my tank. It is healthy, about 3.5." and about 3 years old. It is a very quiet,shy one. It Loves to hide in his caves and peer out. Marine spectrum pellets and frozen myisis shrimp are what he normally eats. It is free. I am going to need to consolidate down to 1 tank and would like a class to enjoy him.

Edited by hbh

Forgot to mention: He can come with his full 20 gallon long tank set up.

• 5 months later...

Can anyone use any of these books?

Sand Bed Secrets: Ron Shimek

(Small book / pamphlet)

Live Sand Secrets: Bob Goemans

(Small book / pamphlet)

Marine Invertabrates: Ron Shimek

Field guide style. Cool book, somehow I have two.

The Super Simple Guide to Corals: James Fatherree

Pretty thorough beginner book

Animal PLanet's Salt Water Aquariums: David Boruchowitz

Another nice beginner book

You and Your Aquarium: **** Mills

Startup Guide for both fresh and salt water

• 1 month later...

I've been out of reef keeping for about  5 years now, but I'm thinking about setting up a small tank in the fall for the kids.  I've talked to our science teacher, and she's game, but she doesn't know anything about sw tanks.  Not sure how to proceed.  Dave?  Doug?

I've been out of reef keeping for about 5 years now, but I'm thinking about setting up a small tank in the fall for the kids. I've talked to our science teacher, and she's game, but she doesn't know anything about sw tanks. Not sure how to proceed. Dave? Doug?

Hi Garrett. Long time no see. About what size tank are you thinking about?

(Sent from my phone)

Garrett, I have the perfect 120 system in my garage for you...  :)

I would go with simple and larger volume if you're going to set something up.  Straight up HOB filter, simple lights, bare bottom.  It makes for an easier system to maintain in a school setting.  Avoid heaters and chillers - too many issues come up with them when tanks have to sit unattended for periods of time.  Also, although it detracts from the gas exchange, I would go with a cover to help keep evaporation down.

• 1 month later...

If anyone has an all in one tank that they'd like to donate let me know. I teach math, but one of the science teachers at my school is intrigued with my reef tank and he'd like to set one up during the school year. I'd be his guide. He pretty much has about 20 different animals in his room but the kids would go bonkers for a mini-reef and it relates to the curriculum to an extent.

• 5 weeks later...

Tom and Dave,

sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner.  I'm thinking more of a nano.  The school was built circa 1935... and the electrical hasn't been updated in quite some time.  A 1500w space heater will blow circuits around here.  10g tops. I've got stuff to run t5s, but I'd have to build an oversize canopy to accomodate the length.  I think I've got an old nanostream or two laying around which should suffice for circulation.  I could run a HOB filter, but I'd probably forego the filtration in lieu of some chaeto.  I could keep some RO/DI in the room for top off, and would probably do biweekly 100% water changes.

Strictly zoas, maybe some xenia for the kids.  A couple of small fish... cardinals or the like.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I teach middle school at a small private school in laurel. I got approval to setup a small tank in the classroom. The students are very interested in saltwater aquariums. One has even gotten her parents to setup one for her with my guidance. I'm looking for a smaller easy to keep tank for now. If anyone has anything lying around I would appreciate it!

Thank you!

Hey guys,

I teach middle school at a small private school in laurel. I got approval to setup a small tank in the classroom. The students are very interested in saltwater aquariums. One has even gotten her parents to setup one for her with my guidance. I'm looking for a smaller easy to keep tank for now. If anyone has anything lying around I would appreciate it!

Thank you!

PM sent

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone, what do we currently have (as a club and among members) in the way of tanks available for donation to a school. My wife casually mentioned how we do school tanks in front of my kids principal and he lit up like a kid at Christmas. He said he had a hard time growing up choosing between being a teacher and a marine biologist. :). Anyways, it's a great school with top notch staff so I think the tank will be treated well and the students will greatly benefit.

I'm thinking something between a 90-120 would be a decent size. I know we have lots of generous members who will donate equipment and livestock. But for now, I'm trying to nail down the tank part so they can decide on location and other logistics. Requests for supporting stuff will come shortly after.

Thanks all!

Unless Dave has something from NADC, I don't think we have any that large in possession from the club. Maybe a member will step up.

It will be a 365, year round correct?

DaveS - I don't have a tank to offer but would be willing to donate funds towards one. Sounds like we should have another coral benefit auction at your place like we did many years ago for the tanks in the children's cancer treatment ward.

Getting tanks into schools goes right along with the WAMAS mission statement, maybe the club can also donate some towards it if the account allows it.

I can pitch in my 48" Aquaspacelight with 2x150w metal halides, if it works with the selected tank. Everything is in excellent working condition along with spare bulbs.

Hey guys, just got configuration from the school that the tank can be there year round with air conditioning.  They will have staff there year round to help with the upkeep so this takes out most of the burden with sustaining a tank at the school. 

I'll throw out again a request for anyone willing to donate a 75-120g tank.  Hopefully someone will be interested in helping and getting a tax deduction.  If not, we can explore the fundraising options that others have generously offered to facilitate.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Need a new 30" LED light? I got this for free at MACNA. Lots of bulbs too.

Yes actually we do. We got a a 2 bulb one that provides some visibility but isn't anywhere enough to help grow corals.  Supplementing it with this one may be enough.  Thanks!