Donations to Schools

davelin315

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest syndony

We "adopt" a teacher or two every school year. Typically it is our children's teacher, but not always. We usually go a couple of days before school starts and find out what they need mostly, then get it for them. Many teachers pay out of pocket for supplies and even text books. We always drop a big box of paper towels, pencils, erasers, wipes, sandwich bags, crayons, construction paper etc. I also leave my business card with them and make sure they know that they can call if they need something. Teachers are absolutely getting hammered right now in a lot of school districts so the more we can do, the better for our kids.

• 7 months later...

Here's where I am in terms of things available for donation:

- I have around a half dozen green & white discoma mushrooms looking for a new home. At the moment, they're jumping off the mother colony faster than I can sell/give them away - it's like the old Doritos commercial ("crunch all you want...we'll make more). :bb:

- I need to prune back my colony of green palys (radial stripes of lighter green to almost white), so while I don't have them fragged at the moment, I just need a couple days' notice to get them on frag plugs.

- I can also do a frag of the pale green and orange zoas (also radial striping) at any time.

- I can do multiple frags of green star polyps at any time also.

- I could do a small frag of deep pink pocillipora and possibly of a red-orange monti digi as well, but my wife has informed me the monti cap I mentioned previously as a possibility is off limits. :blush:

- Turning to non-corals, with a bit of notice I could catch and set aside a few of my numerous stomatella - while they started as hitchhikers they've done well enough to spawn in my tank. :laugh:

- I could probably spare a couple of hermits as well.

- Finally, I can also spare some live rock (a couple pieces from roughly fist size to perhaps half that) and probably 15-20 pounds of previously live but currently dry base rock - I can't put an island name to it ("Fiji", "Tonga" etc.) but its fairly porous.

If you're interested, just let me know when we can do a transfer.

• 1 month later...

HAVE SOMETHING YOU'RE LOOKING TO DONATE? Read this:

Hi WAMAS members, My name is Leah and I'm a student at Montgomery Blair High School (Silver Spring, MD) in the Marine Biology class. As part of a school project, we're spending the semester setting up a marine reef tank. We've got our main setup, and are already planning to purchase a few fish next week with our own funds, but we're hoping to get donations of "extras" like additional fish and soft coral. Below is our current setup. If there's anything you think you could donate to our group or to the program as a whole, don't hesitate to contact me by email at lmuskinpierret@gmail.com or by phone at 301-585-5277. Here are the Specs:

• 28 gallons
  • Temp: ~77 degrees F
  • Ph: 8.2
  • Salinity: 1.024

Current ecosystem:

• Reef sand (if that counts)
  • Live rock (15 pounds-ish.. we could take more but don't need it)
  • 7 hermit crabs
  • 7 snails
  • To be purchased next week: gobi, firefish, clownfish

Hardware Inventory:

• UV light
  • Heater w/ internal thermostat
  • High Range Ph test kit, dissolved oxygen test kit, hydrometer
  • Dissolved Oxygen Pump
  • Current pump
  • Protein skimmer

What we need:

• Fish - currently plannig on purchasing clownfish, gobi, firefish, but our tank has room for more (we would like docile saltwater fish that will thrive at our specs)
  • Soft coral (we'd LOVE donations of this, because its definitely not in our budget)
  • Any other small organisms with little environmental impact (ex: decomposers, plants)

Thanks so much for any donations you could provide!

Hey,

See the message I just posted regarding our tank I'm putting together at school for Marine Biology class. We're looking for donations of soft coral cause it looks like it's way out of our budget, and it sounds like you might have something to donate. Did you find homes for everything below or are you still looking to donate?

I'm a little far away (you profile says you're located in Springfield). I'm in Silver Spring, MD, but if you'd be willing to donate I'd be happy to make the trek!

If you'd like to get in contact with me feel free to email lmuskinpierret@gmail. Thanks so much!

Here's where I am in terms of things available for donation:

- I have around a half dozen green & white discoma mushrooms looking for a new home. At the moment, they're jumping off the mother colony faster than I can sell/give them away - it's like the old Doritos commercial ("crunch all you want...we'll make more). :bb:

- I need to prune back my colony of green palys (radial stripes of lighter green to almost white), so while I don't have them fragged at the moment, I just need a couple days' notice to get them on frag plugs.

- I can also do a frag of the pale green and orange zoas (also radial striping) at any time.

- I can do multiple frags of green star polyps at any time also.

- I could do a small frag of deep pink pocillipora and possibly of a red-orange monti digi as well, but my wife has informed me the monti cap I mentioned previously as a possibility is off limits. :blush:

- Turning to non-corals, with a bit of notice I could catch and set aside a few of my numerous stomatella - while they started as hitchhikers they've done well enough to spawn in my tank. :laugh:

- I could probably spare a couple of hermits as well.

- Finally, I can also spare some live rock (a couple pieces from roughly fist size to perhaps half that) and probably 15-20 pounds of previously live but currently dry base rock - I can't put an island name to it ("Fiji", "Tonga" etc.) but its fairly porous.

If you're interested, just let me know when we can do a transfer.

I'll send this to your email as well, but I'm not sure which you'll see first.

I have a current thread in the For Sale/WTB/Free forum with most of what I have available - as this is for school and given the distance, I'd be happy to donate whatever you'd like (with the exception of the "large" mushroom frag, which is on hold). The thread is Softies Looking for a Soft Landing. Perhaps the best way to do this would be for you to go to that thread, look it over (I actually updated and posted new pics yesterday) and decide what you would like. Then look at the things I'd originally posted and decide if there is anything on that list you want that isn't in the "Softies..." thread. Finally, just let me know what you'd like, and we'll set up a time for you to come and pick it up.

Jim ("LCDRDATA")

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Do y'all need decorations? I have four coral skeletons (two real, two fake) that I dont need. I had pictures in a for sale thread at some point but could dig them up again if needed. The largest is probably 18x12 and tabling in structure. I can bring them to the Jan 22 meeting if y'all want.

Dave, I also still have that section of 1.5" tubing if you want it too.

Let me know,

Chad

Hi Chad,

This is Leah, the student from Montgomery Blair High School in Silver Spring. After establishing a small ecosystem in our tank (we've got tons of live rock, a small army of snails and hermits, two clowns, a gobi, and are set to receive some soft coral), we're hoping to expand our tank. I would be happy to pick up a coral skeleton or two at the Jan 22 meeting, if you're still interested in donating. I'm sending you an email with my contact info so we can communicate more directly.

Thanks so much!

-Leah

Do y'all need decorations? I have four coral skeletons (two real, two fake) that I dont need. I had pictures in a for sale thread at some point but could dig them up again if needed. The largest is probably 18x12 and tabling in structure. I can bring them to the Jan 22 meeting if y'all want.

Let me know,

Chad

OK, Leah, I will bring all of them to the meeting for you.

Let me know,

Chad

Hey Chad, that would be great. I had completely forgotten about that - thought you might already have gotten rid of it. I'll trade you my vote for it. ;)

• 8 months later...

We have a new school in Ashburn asking for a tank. I will post details as soon as possible. THey have a tank and stand they are bringing in. I "think" it is a 55 gallon, but not 100% sure.

I will push then to bring it in soon and see what we will need going forward, but can probably use it JM if you can hold off a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Dave / Anyone else with a school tank need.

We have a few 55s sitting around. One drilled, one RR w/overflow and one with no holes. Piles of pumps, some out dated skimmers that work fine... a MH light or two. If you have other specific needs, let me know... the "used stuff pile" needs to be plundered.

Phil

Thanks Phil,

I might take you up on the drilled 55 Phil. The one the school headmaster had is a 55, not drilled. Has a stand for it, just not drilled. Trying to find time to set it up. Has a single bulb t12 flourescent.

I think we are going to start this as a FOWLR, maybe a few softies or shrooms. So if you have any 4 ft. CF or t5 fixtures you come across, lmk.

Doug,

55 Reef Ready with overfow or the one that is drilled on the back wall?

I may have a 4ft dual t-5 fixture for you.

Phil

Beggars can't be choosers right? I would guess you may be able to use the overflow, so I guess the drilled. Either will be fine. Not sure if I can get in the school on mon, may be tues before I get a good look at all they have there. Thanks for doing this.

Nope, choose away. We have no plans for any of them. If you are doing a sump, take the RR tank. Or come look and choose then.

Some drilled 20h tanks that could be sealed and used as sumps and workable return pumps too. Some "clasic" but perfectly fine skimmers. PLEASE come shop in my used stuff bone yard!!!

I should clarify... Choose or take em all, whatever!

Dave, Doug has been to the shop. We are at 11141 Lee Highway in Fairfax. very close to 50 / 29 intersection, and near 7100, 123, 66... pretty easy to get to.

SURE we got pumps. You mentioned a 90, got one of those too, RR with a black pine stand. I think I have a little ETSS downdraft that would work great for a 90 in sump and a deltec HOB if you don't have a sump.

Mornings 9:30ish and afternoons 4:30ish are best times to find me at the shop, but Wed and Thursday this week will be a bit more flexible.

Phil

• 1 month later...

Does any school need a 250W MH ballast?

I recently bought a retro kit with a dual bluewave ballast, but one doesn't fire so I need to get something else for my own use. I'll offer up this ballast that will still fire one bulb to a school if one needs one.