How long can frags survive in a cooler?

steveoutlaw

I was planning on bringing in some frags to work for a co-worker. Can the frags survive all day in a cooler? I would imagine that the can since they have to survive for shipping.

hey steve, considering how long it takes them to get from being collected in the ocean to LA then to east coast, i think they would be ok...i had had good success with frags from meeting also that sat in a cooler all day. they will stress but as long as the person receiving them gets them acclimated and in the tank as soon as they can, they should be fine.

hey steve, considering how long it takes them to get from being collected in the ocean to LA then to east coast, i think they would be ok...i had had good success with frags from meeting also that sat in a cooler all day. they will stress but as long as the person receiving them gets them acclimated and in the tank as soon as they can, they should be fine.

Steve,

I would make sure the recipient knows how to acclimate (if they don't, have them search posts on Wamas). Too fast can be a problem. We always test salinity of frag water and use the drip method.

Maureen

I always keep a small cooler in my car, just in case I happen to be near a reef store and have to pick something up.

On my last trip to Florida I found two clams and a coral I just had to buy. They spent that night and all the next day in a 5g bucket of saltwater with a battery powered air pump while we drove back to DC.

Jon

Think how long it takes them to ship. They are sitting in bags in a box for days before they hit the LFS. Bag 'em in saltwater and keep them in a temp controlled environment.

Jon, can you show me a link to the battery powered pump you have? I hope to god this storm takes a major right turn... Our power goes out if you sneeze too hard. (sorry for thread jack, lol.)

Edited by audible

Think how long it takes them to ship. They are sitting in bags in a box for days before they hit the LFS. Bag 'em in saltwater and keep them in a temp controlled environment.

Jon, can you show me a link to the battery powered pump you have? I hope to god this storm takes a major right turn... Our power goes out if you sneeze too hard. (sorry for thread jack, lol.)

gallery_267_442_5707.jpg

I bought this air pump from Marine Depot, but I've also seen them at the LFS. There are also air pumps that come on automatically when the power goes out, but I don't want an airstone hanging in my display tank.