WAMAS - more than meets the eye

If you're not a WAMAS member yet, this message if for you. Sometimes you just don't know what you're missing.

And you're missing out on a lot ......... because you can't see sections of the WAMAS website that are only available to paid members. How about 11 of them!

A favorite with all WAMAS Members is the "Sell/Trade/WTB/Auction" Forums. There is also the "Members Only" section, which may look like it only has 2 tabs, but there are actually 8!

So for about 5 cents a day ($20 annually) you'll be able to view:

SELL/TRADE/WTB/AUCTION FORUMS

1) For Sale/WTB/Free
Forum to post items for sale, WTB (wanted to buy items you're looking for) and free items (and yes, it does happen).

2) Trading Forum
Have hobby items you can't use anymore that you'd like to trade? You can list those items on this site.

3) Auction Forum
Announce your Auction items here. Please read the rules for auctions before you post an item up for auction. This site can generate a lot of excitement in the last moments and is fun to watch even if you aren't bidding!

4) Group Buys
An awesome way to save a lot of money. Paid members post information on group buys that they are sponsoring and the discount is shared with other paid members. This can include live stock, hardware, salt, chemicals, reef tools and more.

5) SWAP (Share the Wealth and Propogate)
An amazing forum where members share favorite corals with other members for safe keeping and propagation. This is really responsible reef-keeping. Members who have suffered livestock losses for various reasons have benefited greatly.

And you'll also have access to these

"MEMBERS ONLY" additional tabs:

1) The Refugium (Non-related Reef Discussion/Off-Topic)
Members support each other on non-reef topics that range all over the place. Need a car, electrician, help buying a mattress? Want a place to cheer for your favorite sports team? How would you like to meet up with folks who (believe it or not) have other hobbies like golf, home brewing, photography, skydiving, motorcycling, mountain biking, and scuba diving? You can even take scuba lessons through a club member. How about help with taxes, a flooded basement? Too much to list here, but you get the idea.

2) PAR Meters
This forum is for signing up to borrow or report on the status of the members only PAR Meters to test out your lighting.

3) Product Reviews
You can save yourself a lot of money by reading this section on product reviews. Members use this section to review hardware that they like or dislike. A favorite post thread on this site is "Reef Items I Wasted Money On."

4) Vendor Experience
In this section members share their good, and sometimes not so good, experiences with not only local vendors, but mail order suppliers as well. Both hardware and livestock are discussed. Since our "local" vendors are spread out over a relatively large area, this site can help you target the stores that have the best of what you're looking for and help you make the decision to take a road trip worth your time and gas.

5) Meeting News
Forum for advanced meeting news and announcements. To be fair, items listed here are also listed in areas accessible to non-members.

6) Website Issues
This is the place to bring your WAMAS website problems, comments and issues. You can post and edit your post but only the webmaster and officers can reply. Can't figure out how to post pictures or empty your in box, this is the site with the answers.

So come on, take the plunge and get wet. It is a small investment and the returns on live-stock, hardware, knowledge and access to probably hundreds of years of combined experience makes this the bargain of the century!

• 1 year later...
  • 7 years later...

Time for a bump and a reminder: If you're not a member of WAMAS, please consider joining today. In short order, I think that you'll find that it's the best $20 you'll spend in this hobby. You may not realize it, but you're only seeing half of what supporting WAMAS members see every day. Our For Sale forum, for example, is by far our most popular and accounts for close to 45% of the site's traffic. You can easily save $20 or more by buying and selling equipment here. Not to mention that you'll get into our quarterly meetings for free (including our upcoming FragFest - with free frags) to hear speakers that we bring in from around the country to speak on a wide range of topics affecting the hobby. If you're still a bulletin board member, then head on over to our JOIN WAMAS page and join today. You won't regret it.

• 7 months later...

Oh my, here I am asking a silly question...  I think I joined however I have no idea how to pay my $20.00 fee. Will it come in an email or how do I go about paying it? Blessings, Mary C.

Oh my, here I am asking a silly question...  I think I joined however I have no idea how to pay my $20.00 fee. Will it come in an email or how do I go about paying it? Blessings, Mary C.

Hi Mary. Follow this link - http://www.wamas.org/join.php - and follow the instructions there.

• 4 months later...

Happened across this post tonight quite by accident.  I'm chuckling because it was written by me exactly 10 years ago, and I still feel exactly the same way about Wamas.  Thanks to all who contribute in positive ways here.  Thanks also to officers past and present.  You are all appreciated! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Maureen! (Check out the link in my signature that's been there for years now !)

• 2 years later...