? on Frags

amay121

So over the weekend I bought a few frags from A1 at the social. They're in the plastic container disks or whatever they're called and one of the frags has started to encrust on the plastic (ie, it has some sand in the container). Should I just cut these out and place the frags on a regular aragocrete disk or just leave them as is to grow?

(edited)

So over the weekend I bought a few frags from A1 at the social. They're in the plastic container disks or whatever they're called and one of the frags has started to encrust on the plastic (ie, it has some sand in the container). Should I just cut these out and place the frags on a regular aragocrete disk or just leave them as is to grow?

We would need a picture to see what kind of frag plugs you're talking about. There are lots of kinds - and I have experience with many of them. I can tell you that the black pointed plastic ones I've had are hollow - and fairly easy to cut. The really sturdy white plastic ones are a challenge - and when I cut them with my dremel, they leave powder everywhere. Not to mention you have to have a pretty firm grip on the frag or the dremel binds and shoots it across the room. A band saw might be better. There is nothing wrong with letting the frag grow on the plastic plug - the hard part is finding or making a proper 'hole' to stick the end of the plug in when you want to mount it to a rock in your aquarium. That's when I usually cut the plug down.

Here is a photo of the most evil frag plug - REAL hard to cut:

evilfragplug.jpg

bob

Edited by lanman

We would need a picture to see what kind of frag plugs you're talking about. There are lots of kinds - and I have experience with many of them. I can tell you that the black pointed plastic ones I've had are hollow - and fairly easy to cut. The really sturdy white plastic ones are a challenge - and when I cut them with my dremel, they leave powder everywhere. Not to mention you have to have a pretty firm grip on the frag or the dremel binds and shoots it across the room. A band saw might be better. There is nothing wrong with letting the frag grow on the plastic plug - the hard part is finding or making a proper 'hole' to stick the end of the plug in when you want to mount it to a rock in your aquarium. That's when I usually cut the plug down.

bob

Bob,

Jon was removing some of the frag plugs this weekend to place them securely in the 125. (We don't take all of them off, only the ones that interfere with placement or are visually not appealing). He cuts the white ones off with a dremel as you suggested, low over a trash can and he always wears safety glasses because stuff can go flying.

Maureen

(edited)

Bob,

Jon was removing some of the frag plugs this weekend to place them securely in the 125. (We don't take all of them off, only the ones that interfere with placement or are visually not appealing). He cuts the white ones off with a dremel as you suggested, low over a trash can and he always wears safety glasses because stuff can go flying.

Maureen

Speaking of frags... when is Jon going to come up here and get some? :)

The rocks with corals that I got when he broke his tank down were the FIRST corals I owned that were not store-bought frags. The orange montipora digitata is still a very important piece in my tank. Right in the middle, and it still has some of the orange with silver center zoanthids growing around it (although the monti encrusted over the three yellow ones).

IMGP3882.jpg

Actually - here's a picture of it shortly after I purchased it from Jon:

orangemonti.jpg

bob

Edited by lanman

Bob,

This is so awesome! I can't wait for Jon to see the pics when he gets home tonight, thanks for sharing.

I'm sure he'll be in touch about frags too!

Maureen

(edited)

Lol. Great thread ******. Anyways, I'll post a picture later on during lunch when I get back.

Here's a picture of what I mean.

gallery_2631447_398_3470.jpg

Should I just leave as is, or just trim the plastic pieces off and remount on a crete plate or rock rubble? Also, what type of plugs are these?

Edited by amay121

I just pop them off with a small flat tip screw driver and then superglue them to a small piece of LR rubble.

no where the expert or novice but I can't see why they can't stay on the plugs. The only concern would be that since they will be top heavy once they grow that you will want a better way to support them.

Lol. Great thread ******. Anyways, I'll post a picture later on during lunch when I get back.

Here's a picture of what I mean.

gallery_2631447_398_3470.jpg

Should I just leave as is, or just trim the plastic pieces off and remount on a crete plate or rock rubble? Also, what type of plugs are these?

Those don't look familiar - is it a plastic 'cap' on a cement shaft?

The only reason to cut/remove the frag is if you can't get it glued down where you want it when the time comes. And agreed - if it gets top-heavy it won't sit in the sand very well.

bob

It's actually, all plastic with some aragonite sand placed in the lower half. It's not solid at all and I'm thinking of removing the whole frag by cutting everything except for the top plastic layer and placing that on a crete frag disk instead.

Thanks everyone.

sorry about that........................