Boret's 92g Corner Tank.

Boret

Did you decide on a skimmer upgrade?

Yes!!! I went with the MSX/SWC 300 Extreme, I will post pictures in the Skimmer thread.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I reduced the size of some pictures and now I cannot edit the posts where they were... so here are the re sized pictures.

gallery_2631272_415_1641.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_18326.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_50941.jpg

gallery_2631272_415_28467.jpg

• 1 month later...

Very nice job, Those colors really punch out.

If there was one thing you would do differant, what would it be?

The coolest thing on keeping a Dedicated Tank thread is the chance to see the actual growth of your corals.

I look at it everyday so I can't really tell but what a difference!!! One more thing to make the membership totally worth it. ;)

March 2009

gallery_2631272_415_18326.jpg

May 2009

gallery_2631272_415_29555.jpg

The refugium is finally setup and connected to the system.

gallery_2631272_415_330015.jpg

Bad picture, with my phone and sideways. The fuge is underneith the stairs to the main level of the house.

I am using a Floodlight from HD.

Lights-of-America-9265-rw-98154-163365.jpg

Thx schulzjp for the cheato!

Is it OK to put a brittle star fish in the fuge? Will it consume the pods? What other stuff can I put there.... I guess snails are ok.

Boret

Do you have a sku # and name of the manufacture of the fuge light? I like the look of them, did you have to wire them to a plug? Is the bulb 65k? Thanks.

Also I have a 400 w and two fans dedicated with my tank. It stays around 78 so far. Also the canopy i just built (not as nice as yours) is open. How do you keep yours so cool?

Boret

Do you have a sku # and name of the manufacture of the fuge light? I like the look of them, did you have to wire them to a plug? Is the bulb 65k? Thanks.

It isn't my idea. I copied it from another guy online who had it setup with that light and seemed to have pretty good results with it.

It has to wires that I connected to a regular power cable plugged into one of the DC8 outlets so I control it with the ACIII.

I got it at HD for $40+ at the lighting section. There were several at least in the Fairfax HD. You can find it only for about the same maybe cheaper.

Here is a LINK to the first vendor that came up with a google search.

Info on the light fixture

Lights of America 9265 65 Watt Fluorescent Flood Light Features:

Also I have a 400 w and two fans dedicated with my tank. It stays around 78 so far. Also the canopy i just built (not as nice as yours) is open. How do you keep yours so cool?

Thanks!!!

I wish it stayed really cool. I still have more fluctuation than I would like so I am getting a chiller. Right now it goes from 78.5 to 81. I want it steady at 79.

The other day the coil in my home AC froze because I neglected its maintenance (extremely dirty filter was the problem). I had to shut down the AC and let the coil unfreeze. The house temp got pretty high and the tank reached 82.6 and that is with the canopy open and 2 large fans blowing air in the sump. I ended up turning the MH off.

Inside of the canopy I run cooler air thru a vent tube, the type you use to exhaust hot air from a dryer, with a exhaust 110v fan that turns on and off with the MH light.

I have some pictures in this thread where you can see it.

Then I have 2 PC fans taking hot air away from the canopy into a room behind the tank. It is my furnace/wetroom where I keep all the equipment. I didn't want any light flooding into the basement.

You are more than welcome to come over and look at the setup. I would have loved to be able to see more setups for ideas when I started designing this one over a year ago. PM me about it.

There is a thread in RC dedicated to Corner Tanks. A lot of good info there. It starts HERE and it goes for 59 pages!! (it already split once). There is a very nice corner tank around page 11.

• 2 weeks later...

The tank is doing great. Soon I will update the thread with some up to date pictures.

In the meantime, I have an idea for a small addition to the system. A Remote Live Rock Tank.

I want to use one 40 gallon tank that I have laying around to add more water volume to the system and add live rock.

I will probably feed the 40 Remote Live Rock Tank from the sump, go from there to the refugium and then back to the sump.

While I was thinking about this tank I thought that I could get a bit creative. I came up with this:

gallery_2631272_415_101115.jpg

The idea is to get the water to go in at the bottom of the tank. I will probably use PVC going over the top and down to the bottom of the tank. Otherwise if there was a power failure it will empty that tank completely. So disregard the intake of water from the image above. I will probably design a new one that takes into account the PVC.

I want to have about 2-3 inches of empty space at the bottom (Level 1 in the picture) empty of anything but water of course. Probably place a powerhead in there (like a modded mj) to keep any detritus from collecting in the bare bottom.

Level 2, separated with eggcrate will hold LiveRock, it will probably be about 10 inches high. Water will flow from bottom all the way up to the overflow. Chances are I will need to figure out a way to increase water movement in there, unless you guys think that with the current underneath will be enough. Maybe I can put the intake in Level 2 and just leave the powerhead in Level 1.

Level 3 is an afterthought. If I put another layer of eggcrate I will be able to have a small frag area. That will force me to put some retro T5 above, which I wasn't planning on doing. All I really want is to increase water volume, add live rock (I have no space in the sump) and eventually have a small frag area.

Any thoughts? Any ideas?

All comments are welcome! Thanks in advance!

What software did you use for your technical drawings? I'd like to use something cheaper and easier than AutoCad, but more sophisticated than PowerPoint.

Jon

Just read your entire thread. You are definately a planner!

It looks great!

LOL (I hope that was a compliment)

What software did you use for your technical drawings? I'd like to use something cheaper and easier than AutoCad, but more sophisticated than PowerPoint.

Jon

It's a free software from goodle called SketchUp.

It's a free software from goodle called SketchUp.

I meant Google!!! :)

Nice looking tank, Boret. I gotta give SketchUp a try.

Thanks Dan. It takes a bit until you figure out how to use it but its free!!

Looks awesome, good work. The only thing I would do now is lower the VHOs to the bottom of the Lumenarc to get the full pop.

Thanks Rik. That is one of the updated pictures I forgot to add.

Here it is the current light configuration. Not only I lowered the 2 VHOs but I added 2 more.

gallery_2631272_415_53482.jpg

What do you think? Colors are really "popping" up now!

I am using 3 UV Super Actinics R and 1 Coralife Actinic 03 Blue. All of them 24"/75W.

The Coralife is a bit more "purple".

Current photo period:

At 10:30 -- 2 UV Super Actinics ON

At 11:29 -- Refugium Light OFF

At 11:30 -- 1 UV SA + 1 Coralife A03 ON

At 14:30 -- 400W 20K MH ON

At 20:30 -- 400W 20K MH OFF

At 22:00 -- 1 UV SA + 1 Coralife A03 OFF

At 22:01 -- Refugium Light ON

At 23:00 -- 2 UV Super Actinics OFF

This tank is the result of spending time taking a look at all of your setups. I owe it to WAMAS members, that were kind enough to open their doors to my wife and I and allow us to gather tons of different ideas. From aquascaping to coral placement to many other things. Also the support I found in this board. Many of you have taken the time to read this thread and advise me on different matters. Thank you!!!

All I need now is time for everything to grow!! :)