55 gallon plastic drums

CHUBAKAH

(edited)

I picked up the final order today. I became concerned when I lasted talked to Howard Tate & made a run to the Pepsi Plant. I am glad I did, we cleaned them out of barrels. :biggrin: We got lucky and picked up 3 of the smaller size barrels. I will deliver them to the meeting Saturday and pickup the $5.00 charge per barrel. They never had 35 gallon barrels, they were always 30 gallon barrels per Howard Tate, who has been there for over twenty years. Howard also said that there are no barrels at the Baltimore Plant anymore.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chubakah: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

Madmax7774: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

Yauger: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

DaveS: 1 - 30 gal barrel.

Stevearlen: 1 - 30 gal barrel.

Dchild: 1 - 30 gal barrel & 1- 55 gal barrel.

Nitro Junkie: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

Traveller7: 2 - 55 gal barrels.

----------------------------------------------------------------

BeerOrCoke who is a new WAMAS member, sent me a PM stating that he wanted 2 - 55 gallon barrels, which I do not have. So if someone changes their mind, then he said he would pick them up before the meeting, but was not going to attend the meeting.

See you all at the meeting. :)

Edited by Highland Reefer

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

So by now hopefully everyone has gotten their drums and starting thinking about using them. (Thanks again Cliff!) So questions- what are you guys doing with them? Anyone put a bulkead/float valve on the side? If so, was the curvature an issue? Anyone cut the top some to be able to drop a pump into the drum? Where did you cut and how big? What about making a replacement lid? Any other concerns, thoughts or ideas? This group is such a great resource I thought I'd ask and see if I could get any great ideas before I whip out my power tools. :)

Personally, I cut the top on both between the two plugs about the size of a large shoe box. In one of them I have a mag 5 mixing salt and I am making a device to hit a ball valve and add fresh mix to my sump. The other one is holding fresh water and I am planning to run a canister with carbon to keep water flowing in the barrel. I haven't given a thought to making another top to for them, but I'll have to see how much evaporation I get with pumps running 24/7.

The mixed salt barrel is full of 1.028 :blush: [missed it by that much]

The fresh water barrel will be full some time tomorrow evening.

Both barrels in use.

:biggrin:

Thanks again Cliff, they are working out very well!

All I've done so far is (1) rinse several times, (2) fill with water and let sit over night. I repeated theis two more times. I'm planning to cut a hole in the center and clean/rinse one more time before using to store ro/di water.

I still have one 55 gallon barrel left if anyone is interested. Steve (Dchild) picked his two barrels up yesterday. It was nice meeting you Steve. I imagine you got some stares as you drove around the beltway with a 55 gal. barrel strapped to the top of your car. :biggrin:

Anyone else put theirs to use yet?

I rinsed mine out and was about to put it in place when I read Stevearlen's post. It made me think that filling it and letting it sit for a day or two would be a good idea. This way anything that leeched into the plastic would have a chance to come back out. Probably don't need to do it but oh well.

I'm planning to cut a hole in the top, large enough to drop a pump in and then I'll probably plumb a float value into the side. Any one have any suggestions on where to put the hole/bulkhead for the float valve? I'm wondering if the curvature of the 30G drum will cause any problems with the bulkhead seal.

If you come to the Northern VA area i would be interested in the one thats left

okay need to know if this is okay, well I have rinsed out my barrel several times and had let it sit filled to the brim with water over several nights and the darn thing still smells like Mountain Dew!!?!? will this be an issue if I begin using it for water storage.

One of mine smells like Dew, the other like Pepsi.

My fish seem to love it.

I mean, how much residue could possibly be given off in 55 gallons of water really?

I'm not saying nothing could happen, but nothing has with mine as of yet, and they have been drinking it two weeks now.

One of mine smells like Dew, the other like Pepsi.

My fish seem to love it.

I mean, how much residue could possibly be given off in 55 gallons of water really?

I'm not saying nothing could happen, but nothing has with mine as of yet, and they have been drinking it two weeks now.

okay I'll try it...

All the barrels have been picked-up. I have received several PM's requesting barrels. Maybe we need to make another run this summer or individuals can make pickups as noted earlier in this thread, directly from the Pepsi Plant in PG County, Maryland. The cost is $5.00/barrel. See the above noted hours for pickup. The Baltimore Plant does not offer barrels anymore. :)

Posted in Trading Forum:

==========================

I have 7 food grade plastic barrels available - have stored water in them, now I have to make room in the garage.

They're about 60 gals, were originally used to transport apple cider, I cleaned them out and have used them for water, also came in handy for load testing my large tank stand. I have one in service still for my RO/DI resevoir and will keep one other - the rest are to be pressed into service within this fine WAMAS community!

Particularly interested in colorful SPS/LPS -

Red, Pink, Teal, Neon, Orange, Yellow, Multi-colors --

Any interest?

Make me an offer!

Keith

gallery_1550_392_386358.jpg

Guest welove2cook

I'm looking for a couple of plastic 55 gallon drums, which I will keep new RO water in, and one for mixing. I've found a couple of places online, but I have no idea where I would find one local. Surely one of you guys/gals has a connection.

:why:

I am working from a privately owned manufacturing business. We get shipped bunches of these 55 gallon food grade drums a lot because we have our tomato sauce shipped in these containers. After we used everything in the barrel

location?

haha the other ones old man!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...