Now this is a BIG SKIMMER!!

NAGA

this is a new toy for someone;

DSC00699.jpg

DSC00697.jpg

skimmer is 68" tall and has a 27" diameter tube for the main chamber and a 20" collection cup. The final riser going into the collection cup is 8" in diameter. This skimmer is conservatively rated for 2000 gallons. It is going on a 2000 gallon system. Prostaff on CMAS is the owner and I don't know if he is on this board.

Below is the beast being delivered;

DSC00703.jpg

We had quite a time getting it under the stand of the 1000 gallon tank as yo can see below. My daughter thought it was quite silly;

DSC00713.jpg

DSC00710.jpg

There are two of these skimmers being delivered to Exotic Aquatics in the next two weeks. Yes, they are of the Volcano style skimmers seen on Reef Central. There are some design differences however.

That's not a skimmer, it's a tall hot tub :)

-R

I would like to see you take a dip in a tall tub of hot skimmate

oooh, kinky!

:)

-R

I didn't mean me literally watching you in stinky thick slimy muck, though it may be good for one's skin.

I don't think I'll ever have a tank big enough for that skimmer.

Holy Crap! You said you were building a huge skimmer, but really -- that's just ridiculous. It's worth a tank tour all by itself.

Isy: Glad to see progress -- how soon before turning that puppy on?

Matt

A friend in TX purchased a similar skimmer (Volcano) which is a bit bigger, for his 600gal (1100gal total water volume) system. He has a thread in the large tank section of RC under the pseudoname herpervet.

I was every bit as excited to see that monster in action being I donated dozens of corals and anemones to his tank, but after it was installed and tweaked and tweaked some more and then sent new parts to "improve" its performance from the manufacturer, I must admit I was less than impressed. For all of the money spent he could have saved a bundle and ordered a commercial Euroreef and still saved some coin.

Hopefully this one will live up to its expectations

Very nice skimmer Jeff. Did you build this skimmer or mod it from another maker? I cant wait to see it up and running. If it is your build I am sure the quality will be excellent like my sump.

Now THAT would be scary. Haul that thing out to Sandy Point on a 100' extension cord, and see how fast the cup fills!

Yuck.

You might call Chris @ Reeflo and see if he has any more of the first production run Hammerhead NW pumps left. If not I have one extra HH impeller you could try out. A Hammerhead might fit that body better than a Dart. I use Darts on skimmers up to ~48" and the Hammerheads on taller ones. All my fiberglass bodies are only 22" dia. though.

Looks a lot prettier than mine, that's for sure.

Justin