Question about how to use this forum?

davelin315

• 2 years later...

Now that I've moved past the design and have begun building my new tank, how do I go about starting a build thread? Many thanks.

Hello Dave W-

It appears you are currently a "BB Member". In order to start a new thread, you'll have to upgrade your group status to a full "Wamas Member". Membership is $20 / year for individuals and $35 / year for families (other rates are available for students, teachers, etc).

Once you've upgraded your membership status, you'll have access to the "Start new topic" button located near the top or bottom right hand corner of every forum/thread page. Make sure to start your build thread in the "Dedicated Tank Forum" with a standard title which follows the format:

"Owner's name (typically WAMAS Board name), tank size and / or type"

Hope that helps.

Best Regards,

Edited by zoozilla

• 3 years later...
  • 11 months later...

I have a new build in progress...have the tank and the other stuff to go with it. Can I start my thread here and ask for suggestion on plumbing as I build it? or shud I post it somewhere else since my plumbing is still in the planning stage?

My opinion: Post your question in a general forum where other people, in the future, can find it more easily. 

• 1 year later...

If I'm making a new tank build thread, should I reserve the first post for a current full tank shot? I know some sites let you edit the first post in the thread.

The first post in the Dedicated Tank (Build) forum can now be edited to allow you to keep the most current state of your tank there. Enjoy!

• 1 year later...
(edited)

Regarding tank builds, I am going through a house build (around a new tank of course!) and have equipment being purchased now (some from WAMAS members), but my 500G tank won't be ordered for a few more months.  

The strong language around not posting to the "Build" thread unless you doing the build threw me off a little -- it's kind of a grey area for some people. There are threads here with all stages of builds - I'm confused why threads of prospective builds aren't welcome. Thanks! 

Edited by Blue Tang Clan

Regarding tank builds, I am going through a house build (around a new tank of course!) and have equipment being purchased now (some from WAMAS members), but my 500G tank won't be ordered for a few more months.  

The strong language around not posting to the "Build" thread unless you doing the build threw me off a little -- it's kind of a grey area for some people. There are threads here with all stages of builds - I'm confused why threads of prospective builds aren't welcome. Thanks! 

Don't miss the fact that this thread is 11 years old....  :cool:

I'm missing where the strong language is that you're referring to. However, I'm guessing - only guessing - that it's basically aimed at reminding you that you shouldn't be posting about your friend's or client's tank. That's my guess at least.

Ah, I now see what you're talking about at the top of the forum description. I think that guidance was provided to ensure that we didn't get threads that never manifested to a real build. The guidance there says start your thread in the General forum and then, when it's real, we can move it over by request. That way a paper design that never goes further - i.e. never built - won't get documented here.

Gotcha, thanks!  I just ordered (14) 1.5" true union ball valves today -- this thing is definitely happening!   

Exciting days and years ahead!

• 3 weeks later...

Good afternoon, how do I post a regular picture instead of a thumbnail? Thank you

You are doing it through our hosting on WAMAS, which is not very large, and pretty hard to navigate (just my opinion there...!)

I always suggest using a 3rd party, currently I'm using Flickr. We all just got burnt by Photobucket who ransomed off decades of digital photos stored and linked by forcing your hand in a $400 annual membership, or just losing all those pictures placed by BBCode. So as always, use third parties at your own risk!

You are doing it through our hosting on WAMAS, which is not very large, and pretty hard to navigate (just my opinion there...!)

I always suggest using a 3rd party, currently I'm using Flickr. We all just got burnt by Photobucket who ransomed off decades of digital photos stored and linked by forcing your hand in a $400 annual membership, or just losing all those pictures placed by BBCode. So as always, use third parties at your own risk!

The big limitation comes when somebody ATTACHES a photo to a post. There's really limited space for that.

The more correct way to get WAMAS to host pictures is to just start a WAMAS gallery It's easy to do: From a web browser, select your screen name in the upper right and select "My Gallery" from the drop down. Then set up a public gallery. Once pictures are uploaded, navigate to that image's options and select the "Share Links" option and copy it into your post. It becomes a lot like posting pictures to a third party host and copying over their share links, without the threat of being photobucketed.

• 1 year later...

Usually problems loading images are caused by the individual image being too large.  They each need to be below 1MB in size, but you can have an unlimited number of them.  There may also be a maximum number of images in a single post.