Pond foam and rocks...

FishWife

For our new 175g bowfront I am thinking of trying this as a background, with real live rock islands in front, so I can isolate aggressive corals: Reef Central thread.

Anyone done this? Anyone see problems with it at all?

He's from the UK, so (assuming I do this) I need to know two things:

1. Pond foam: BK's is reef safe? Yes or no?

2. Epoxy... what kind is reef safe?

3. Thinking of placing it mostly between the two overflow boxes to hid pipes behind: siphons, lower manifold returns, etc. Think I should worry about losing fish or creating a detritus nightmare BEHIND the egg crate?

TIA!

Edited by FishWife

For our new 175g bowfront I am thinking of trying this as a background, with real live rock islands in front, so I can isolate aggressive corals: Reef Central thread.

Anyone done this? Anyone see problems with it at all?

He's from the UK, so (assuming I do this) I need to know two things:

1. Pond foam: BK's is reef safe? Yes or no?

2. Epoxy... what kind is reef safe?

3. Thinking of placing it mostly between the two overflow boxes to hid pipes behind: siphons, lower manifold returns, etc. Think I should worry about losing fish or creating a detritus nightmare BEHIND the egg crate?

TIA!

Hmm, I could have used some of his ideas last week...

I'd also want to know if the foam will break down eventually in salt water - some kinds are made for marine use (buoys, crab floats) but that probably isn't a design requirement for spray-on insulation foam.

Epoxies are usually OK once they cure, but I'd hunt for a brand name someone has used.

Usually try to leave open space between the tank back and the rockwork. Permits flow, and you could siphon if you have to. If there is enough room to siphon, there's enough room for your fish to get through.

Check out my AP 24 thread in the General Discussion Area, I used Spray Pond foam, called Touch n' Foam, its a black polyurethane sealant. I did it about 6 months ago and am just now posting it on wamas. The SW has yet to cause any harm to the background, and once it solidifies, it can be pulled off.

Words of advice when working with pond foam... PRACTICE FIRST, understand how it expands, dries, and moves with initial set up.

IT would also be nicer if it were texturized, take sandpaper or an old sponge while its still wet, to add character to it...

I have yet to experience any problems with it, and it was based off the same RC thread, people love the tank, think the background is unique and I like it more than a Coraline Covered Glass.. doesn't seem as natural.

Good Luck, enjoy the thread

I'll second the warning to practice with the foam, when we were using it dampen vibrations for the antenna we were building for iraq the expansion and hold properties of the foam were not what was expected. Also note that the amount of expantion you will get as the foam can empties will decrease

Check out my AP 24 thread in the General Discussion Area, I used Spray Pond foam, called Touch n' Foam, its a black polyurethane sealant. I did it about 6 months ago and am just now posting it on wamas. The SW has yet to cause any harm to the background, and once it solidifies, it can be pulled off.

Words of advice when working with pond foam... PRACTICE FIRST, understand how it expands, dries, and moves with initial set up.

IT would also be nicer if it were texturized, take sandpaper or an old sponge while its still wet, to add character to it...

I have yet to experience any problems with it, and it was based off the same RC thread, people love the tank, think the background is unique and I like it more than a Coraline Covered Glass.. doesn't seem as natural.

Good Luck, enjoy the thread

Brendan: I saw your thread! It looks really nice. I'd like to add the rocks to mine as perches for future corals in our taller, larger tank. So... where did you buy said Touch 'n Foam?

ahh...

one of the best kept secretes

it may or it may not be seasonal, but Strosniders will have it,

Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Target, don't I called so many stores trying to find this stuff

I'm pretty sure if you mount ur LR in it, while wet, it may or it may not hold, and a second application of Foam is most likely necessary, There is a Great Thread on RC, called the UK reef (should be about page 2), in the Large Tanks section, where a guy Connected LR to Eggcrate, Sprayfoamed the spaces between the rocks, and filled the Sprayfoam with Sand, Creating a Un Realistic, out of this world AquaScape, I highly reccomend you read that thread, I'm not to forum savy, so i couldn't put a link, but this might be the Exact Idea, best able to suit you needs.

Good Luck, and tell me how you like the thread

ahh...

one of the best kept secretes

it may or it may not be seasonal, but Strosniders will have it,

Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, Target, don't I called so many stores trying to find this stuff

I'm pretty sure if you mount ur LR in it, while wet, it may or it may not hold, and a second application of Foam is most likely necessary, There is a Great Thread on RC, called the UK reef (should be about page 2), in the Large Tanks section, where a guy Connected LR to Eggcrate, Sprayfoamed the spaces between the rocks, and filled the Sprayfoam with Sand, Creating a Un Realistic, out of this world AquaScape, I highly reccomend you read that thread, I'm not to forum savy, so i couldn't put a link, but this might be the Exact Idea, best able to suit you needs.

Good Luck, and tell me how you like the thread

LOL: my first post referenced said thread.

I read on the Internet that Sears has it. We're on the hunt! THANKS! I'm MOST wondering now about epoxy. I'm hoping that I can just press sand into it and have it stick to the foam. If not, I guess I'll try silicone to attach sand (a la the UK model); and in the end, if I need to, I'll figure out epoxy. I keep asking for a brand that would be reef safe and NOT putty, but so far no one can tell me what to get. Ahh, the trials of pioneers! :rollface:

I'll second the warning to practice with the foam, when we were using it dampen vibrations for the antenna we were building for iraq the expansion and hold properties of the foam were not what was expected. Also note that the amount of expantion you will get as the foam can empties will decrease

off topic - sorry....

you were in Iraq?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest webshout

YOU CAN ALSO CHECK OUT BRENDANS AQUARIUM WITH THE SPRAY BACKGROUND AT AQUARIUM ONE!!!

THANKS

Is there an Aquarium One website or link to the pics?

Thanks.

William

LOL: my first post referenced said thread.

I read on the Internet that Sears has it. We're on the hunt! THANKS! I'm MOST wondering now about epoxy. I'm hoping that I can just press sand into it and have it stick to the foam. If not, I guess I'll try silicone to attach sand (a la the UK model); and in the end, if I need to, I'll figure out epoxy. I keep asking for a brand that would be reef safe and NOT putty, but so far no one can tell me what to get. Ahh, the trials of pioneers! :rollface:

If you would end up doing the same thing as the guy on rc I'd love to come help/watch that happen. That is some amazing looking aquascaping... might steal that idea when I upgrade :)

If you would end up doing the same thing as the guy on rc I'd love to come help/watch that happen. That is some amazing looking aquascaping... might steal that idea when I upgrade :)

What I can't figure out is how to cover the foam with epoxy. Otherwise, I'm game. (I also can't find the proper, black Beckett's or Touch 'N Foam (both WalMart and Sears carry the insulating variety but not the reef safe variety in this season). Sigh.

We are just going to go for a black background made out of egg crate if we can't find epoxy/foam soon. It's better than bare pipes, and I think it might look kind of neat and different.

What I can't figure out is how to cover the foam with epoxy. Otherwise, I'm game. (I also can't find the proper, black Beckett's or Touch 'N Foam (both WalMart and Sears carry the insulating variety but not the reef safe variety in this season). Sigh.

We are just going to go for a black background made out of egg crate if we can't find epoxy/foam soon. It's better than bare pipes, and I think it might look kind of neat and different.

Look at the TOTM on RC right now. That guy used Great Stuff - available pretty much everywhere - and covered with paint and sand. Really good idea. I'm thinking about using it for my SPS tank.

• 8 months later...

I am sure my post is to late, but I would like to add this to the data base. I will make a few points..

1) ACE Hardware store stocks the Great Stuff Pond and Stone (GSPS) formula. It is about twice as expensive as the regular stuff, but it is made for ponds, and is suppose to be reef safe. So far that is the only place that have been able to find the good stuff at.

2)From my research, coating with epoxy is primarily to prevent the standard foam from breaking down under UV and saltwater exposure. I am in the process of making my background with the GSPS Foam and I have chosen to dust crushed coral directly on the foam before it cures.

3) Foam is sticky, wear gloves!!

I used "Hilti" brand foam when I used to build large ponds and needed to glue a rock to the wall. It is in my opinion the best expandable foam on the market but also the most expensive. For large projects, Hilti makes a glue gun that takes glue cartridges. There have been many a backyard pond in the greater metro area that have vertical rocks in waterfalls held in place using this foam.

• 1 month later...
I am sure my post is to late, but I would like to add this to the data base. I will make a few points..

1) ACE Hardware store stocks the Great Stuff Pond and Stone (GSPS) formula. It is about twice as expensive as the regular stuff, but it is made for ponds, and is suppose to be reef safe. So far that is the only place that have been able to find the good stuff at.

2)From my research, coating with epoxy is primarily to prevent the standard foam from breaking down under UV and saltwater exposure. I am in the process of making my background with the GSPS Foam and I have chosen to dust crushed coral directly on the foam before it cures.

3) Foam is sticky, wear gloves!!

So... how has your background been holding up? I am revisiting the old "background" issue as I either remount my bowfront or go for a deeper, bigger tank. I'm curious to know why you didn't epoxy... couldn't find any? (That was my issue. I couldn't get anyone to give me a straight answer to "what kind to buy?")

So... how has your background been holding up? I am revisiting the old "background" issue as I either remount my bowfront or go for a deeper, bigger tank. I'm curious to know why you didn't epoxy... couldn't find any? (That was my issue. I couldn't get anyone to give me a straight answer to "what kind to buy?")

So far so good.

The primary reason I did not use epoxy was because I am assuming that the foam (since it is made for outdoors) will hold up much better to the UV exposure than the normal great stuff. Also, the foam is very sticky so I figured I would use it to "glue" my argonite to the background. Finally, the cost factor for the amount of epoxy I would have needed would have been significant too.

Here is a shot.

DSC03684.jpg

Marcia, regarding epoxy: Are you sure that they're not talking about epoxy paint - (and not epoxy glue)? This would make far more sense to me than glue.

You could also use an epoxy resin - for example, a polyester resin that's available at both Michael's and at AC Moore craft stores, and paint it on the exposed foam surfaces where it would serve as a harder, more durable covering than the foam insulation alone. For what it's worth, I've used polyester resin in limited quantities when building a magnetic frag rack that I saw online. The resin was used to embed a rare earth magnet to protect it from exposure to saltwater inside the tank.

http://www.michaels.com/art/online/display...oductNum=gc0509

<later>

Reading a little further into the RC thread, I noticed that the author said he was using a "finishing resin" that is used on models. Here's a link to such a product over here:

http://www.ehobbies.com/paapt40.html

Edited by Origami2547