Who makes big tanks?

Guest snapper

Guest snapper

Any dealers locally or manufacturers where I won't lose my shirt in shipping?

Where did Reefmon get his 400?

Thanks,

Snapper

Guest ssaldana

If you would like a RR glass tank, try glass cages

Their prices are excellent though the downside is, like I said, the tanks are not acryllic, they will be quite heavy. Glass Cages will be making their way up to the Fredericksburg, VA area this Feb. They require several week notice on building tanks.

RR Glass

Other Local Vendors who will more than likely not have anything over 240+ gallons try: Wallys Aquarium and Super Pets in Annandale

Well, it depends how you define "big tanks". About 4 months ago I was looking and this is the choices I found:

1. AGA: the biggest they make is a 180. Anything bigger is custom= big money. Would take about 8-10 weeks for delivery.

2. Oceanic: the biggest they make is a 220 I believe. Anything bigger is customs= huge sums of money. Up to the 180 is considered standard for them. They no longer make the 7 feet 200 gal tank as standard, but they now call it something custom so they can charge you much more. I believe they still ahve the 220 as standard, but cost so much more than the 180 it is not even funny. Anything above a 180 will take anywhere from3-10 weeks to get depending on availability from a regional warehouse. Custom tanks will take up to 10+ weeks.

1+2. Warranties: lifetime with Oceanic and I think it is 5 years with AGA (not sure on this). You would have to get their stand to be able to make a claim otherwise you better be prepared to hire Johnny Cochrane to fight it in court for you. They could pre-approve your DIY stand, but it will take a lot of doing to get it done not to mention time. You would have to take apart your tank, take it to a local pre-approved store/dealer for them to send it in and wait for their mercy to send another one back. This could take up to 10+ weeks!! :(  The stand made by them for any tank above a 125 will cost you literally anywhere from 2 to 10 times the cost of making one that is far superior to what they make and with better wood. ???

3. Glasscages.com: They make tanks much cheapper than the other 2 above. Made out of glass. They make a lot of custom sizes and shapes. Not very well known. Shipping is free if you pick it up at any of the places where they do shows. Typicly this is some state fair ground. They do come this way 2-4 times per year. They also make custom stands and canopies to your specs for fairly decent prices. Have never seen one of their tanks, but I'll tell you what I found from a couple of posts in RC (one originated by myself). The glue job on the seems is kind of slopy and the overflow boxes are made out of clear glass, so you see all the guts from the outside of the tank. They are extremely accomodating for drilling holes where you want them for close loops and such. As far as warranty, they guarantee it for life I believe (can't remember this very well though). The way it works is that you would either pay for shipping to and from their facility in TN or you could wait until the next time they come to a show for them to pick it up and then wait for the next show for them to deliver it back to you. This translates to anywhere from 2 months to a year+. Their stands and canopies and basicly whatever you tell them you want. They do not water test their tanks for leaks prior to delivery, but they claim neither does anyone else in the bussiness.

4. Tenecor: Makes acrylic tanks of any shape and size you want. If the set up is more than $1500 and you get it from some of the online vendors/dealers, shipping is free. Warranty is for life and goes about the same as number 1+2, but shipping to and from (this I am not so sure)  is on you. They will fight you with tooth and nails on warranty work. If you want something they do not recommend, which is based solely on economics, they will do it but will make you void the warranty. Example: I want a 3" perimeter lip around the top with small braces, but make the top 1" thick instead of 0.5" like they would normally. This amkes the tank  much much stronger, but they will void the warranty anyways.

5. Others: there are a couple of acrylic builders in the SE FL area, but they are more expensive than Tenecor and less well known. Also, their shipping can be quite costly making their tanks almost twice as expensive as Tenecor. Warranty varies from manufacturer to manufacturer. There is another glass place in NC. A guy in RC works there, but I don't know much about them. Do a search in RC if really interested.

6. Perfecto: Makes up to a 240 I believe in glass. No drilling whatsoever in any model. Don't really know much about them, but thatpetplace in PA is a dealer and are much cheapper than Oceanic. You could call them if you really want to know. Their tanks tend to be much taller than usual for the other manufacturers.

7. Custom local: I know a guy in the area that would build you an acrylic tank of the size and shape you want. he will do it onsite at your place and will get all the supplies. He built the tank that is currently used at the Baltimore Aquarium for the seahorse exhibit. The total cost will be much more than the Tenecor with delivery and all, but he tends to overbuild the tank. despite that, his labor is way too much to justify it. I know because I looked into it to have him make me a 12x4x3 tank (1080 gal) and a 400 gal sump/refugium under it. This will be in the future, so I will definately go with Tenecor then.

Acrylic vs Glass: this is really up to you. I guess you have probably read all the arguments for one or the other. I could tell you something though. My 360 acrylic tank was place in the house by 4 people. 2 strong people could actually lift it off the ground and out it in a stand in a very unconfortable area (ask geofloors if you want to know :D ). If this was glass, I could not imagine lifting this tank off the ground with anything less than a forklift. ???

Hope this helps,

Alberto

Guest snapper

Thanks everyone.  We're going with a glass cages design.  260 gallons 84x30x25.  Cost:  $760.  Not too bad...

Thanks for the input from all!!!!

Snapper