Scott & Marcia's Bowfront 80 Tank Build

FishWife

(edited)

New pictures: Ryan's tank crashed and we helped to rescue what we could take. His corals are all doing well in our display. We had to re-aquascape the tank. Left to right, we got: hammer coral, monti dig, monti cap, (yellow polyps we had and flower leather we had); frogspawn, feather duster, yellow leather coral, green star polyp, unnamed acropora, monti dig (green polyps... closeup below). The anemone and clown we had. Last, but NOT least, our pulsing Xenia on the right. Take a look:

gallery_2631270_258_159223.jpg

Here's a closeup of the left:

gallery_2631270_258_260893.jpg

And of the right:

gallery_2631270_258_871919.jpg

Here are some close-ups:

gallery_2631270_258_689809.jpg

gallery_2631270_258_629940.jpg

gallery_2631270_258_581621.jpg

Is this hammer going to color up? It looks kind of bleached, but Ryan says it's about what it was like in his tank.

gallery_2631270_258_203242.jpg

OH, and our new fish: our Kole tang which (girl like) I named "Punkin" since we got her on Halloween and she's got browns and yellows in her. Plus, she's a "fright fish" giving us both tricks and treats!

gallery_2631270_258_276157.jpg

Question about your UV...

approx how many gallons are running through your UV?

And do you have it plumbed so the water enters the UV at the bottom, and exists out the top, or vice versa?

-Carl

Sorry, Carl, just saw this...

It enters bottom (first sump chamber) and exits top, into the fuge chamber, at about 800gph (just 'cause that's what pump we owned; it's rated for 1200 to kill parasites and faster to just deal with bacteria).

Edited by FishWife

Hopefully the hammer and the frogspawn will regain some color under good lighting with good water conditions. I think the 'unidentified acro' is a stylophora of some sort.

bob

(edited)

Hopefully the hammer and the frogspawn will regain some color under good lighting with good water conditions. I think the 'unidentified acro' is a stylophora of some sort.

bob

the frogspawn is light yellow--lemon colored--and beautiful. I see the species in my coral book, I think--Euphyllia divisa--which is here a darker yellow. Is that the color it shoud be?

the hammer has tinges of flesh-pink and lighter tips... hmmm. Am thinking of bringing it to the meeting to sell/trade for a more colorful hammer. Anyone second that motion?

When I read that they like offerings of meat.... how? They don't have mouths like anemone...?

Edited by FishWife

the frogspawn is light yellow--lemon colored--and beautiful. I see the species in my coral book, I think--Euphyllia divisa--which is here a darker yellow. Is that the color it shoud be?

the hammer has tinges of flesh-pink and lighter tips... hmmm. Am thinking of bringing it to the meeting to sell/trade for a more colorful hammer. Anyone second that motion?

When I read that they like offerings of meat.... how? They don't have mouths like anemone...?

If that frogspawn STAYS yellow - I'd love a piece one day! I haven't seen a yellow frogspawn. Some very pale greens, but nothing you would call yellow.

I reckon the hammer eats like the frogspawn eats - you just squirt some little meaty bits (small mysis, for example) on them - and some of it sticks.

bob

Most frogspawn I've seen, I'd equate to fiber optic cable. Darker on the stem, with a bright colored tip. It's pretty now, but not in it's healthy, true state. Colors tend to be some form of green with white, yellow, or pink tips. Same for the hammer too, although less dramatic looking.

Anyway, you've provided them a healthy, happy home, and it will be fun to watch them morph into their true selves. :)

Tracy

here is a neat question for you guys... since christina and I haven't buried her manifold yet we might have an easier time than you guys unless you did something that i missed, but what do you in the case where you have to stop your cl pump to service it? What keeps snails, hermits, fish from getting in though your outlets?

here is a neat question for you guys... since christina and I haven't buried her manifold yet we might have an easier time than you guys unless you did something that i missed, but what do you in the case where you have to stop your cl pump to service it? What keeps snails, hermits, fish from getting in though your outlets?

Two things, I guess. 1. We won't have the pump down for any length of time, ideally. And, it's quite a maze. They're pretty slow-moving critters.

2. It's a pretty long run to our pump... up, down, and then 8'. So, by the time they start exploring through the outlets, we figure the flow will be against them, and pretty strong. How they would get UP the verticle with the flow against them is a good question. Snails could, but... why? IF they did, then they'd get to the place where the ball valve is only open 40%. THEN, after passing that, the flow would be the full bore, since its the ball valves that dial it down... right?

Oh, and finally, the mouth of the Dart is 1.5"... could it not handle pretty large chunks of stuff?

How are you liking the manifold setup? It looks like it hits everything pretty well.

• 3 weeks later...

How are you liking the manifold setup? It looks like it hits everything pretty well.

It's GREAT. Works perfectly.

Here's an update:

Here's the total tank as of 11/24/07:

gallery_2631270_258_190808.jpg

Here's closer up of the left side:

gallery_2631270_258_120439.jpg

And now, the right:

gallery_2631270_258_61839.jpg

Here are some of our inmates (for Ryan) close up (this is after 22 days in our tank):

gallery_2631270_258_11836.jpg

gallery_2631270_258_104371.jpg

gallery_2631270_258_312534.jpg

gallery_2631270_258_134828.jpg

I'll do more tomorrow, Ryan!

That anemone looks like the clown is really abusing it. The tentacles are very small and short, they look to be less than half the size they were in the previous picture from 2 weeks before. I would try and feed the anemone so that it can recover. Something is amiss with it.

Otherwise the tank looks good! Doesn't look like the hammer and frogspawn have colored up at all yet. Have you fed them yet? They have mouths like anemones, but typically the mouths are much smaller.

Looking good, Marsha!

I agree with Dave...maybe start tarted feeding the hammer and frogspawn with some cycopeeze or something to help them color up.

Tracy

All corals have mouths -- that's basically what a polyp is -- it's just that some are bigger than others. A squirt of very small meaty foods (like cyclops or just little bits of mysis) every once in a while will help. Once they regain their color and start to grow again it may not be necessary to target feed them as they will probably get all that they need when you feed your fish.

The tank looks great. You may want to consider moving that green star polyps to a location where you can more easily contain its growth. IME it will overgrow and smother most everything, icluding the following: discosoma mushrooms, ricordia mushrooms, xenia, zoas, montipora, caulastrea (candy cane coral). My torch was able to fight it off with sweepers, but if it ever gets a hold of the base forget about it. Right now I am trying it against an acan and a hydnophora. We'll see. I have it isolated on an island to stop it from over-running the entire reef.

It does look cool when it spreads up and covers the glass - or maybe the overflow in your case.

That anemone looks like the clown is really abusing it. The tentacles are very small and short, they look to be less than half the size they were in the previous picture from 2 weeks before. I would try and feed the anemone so that it can recover. Something is amiss with it.

Otherwise the tank looks good! Doesn't look like the hammer and frogspawn have colored up at all yet. Have you fed them yet? They have mouths like anemones, but typically the mouths are much smaller.

Amenone: right, it was starving to death. It didn't respond to grab food. Traveler7 helped me to buy silversides. We've been feeding it each day a bit (skipping a day here or there) for a week and, believe me, it looks LOTS better now than it did last week. Still a ways to go, though, agreed.

The hammer is more tan than it was. We will feed them as you suggested. I'm so afraid of overfeeding that I've kept mysis doses to a minimum, but will do some feedings this week and see what happens. Other than that, the thing that's not great is that the frogspawn is turning brown in places... see other thread today.

About GSP: WHERE would you suggest we move it? We have it high up, hoping that isolates it enough.

Guest justin ragland

hi me and my wife think your tank is awesome.I am really glade the rock that we sold you looks goood in your tank and your happy.well i would also like to tell you and your husband that i did get to set my 120 back up and its looking very good right now.my fish are so happy again.Thank you for shareing your tank with us. :cheers: :cheers:

Wow the tank really looks excellent. It looks like all the thought that went into it is really paying off.

About GSP: WHERE would you suggest we move it? We have it high up, hoping that isolates it enough.

It may just grow up in layers upon itself (which is pretty cool to see), but I think it will probably spread down and eventually onto other rocks. I could be wrong, though. From the looks of it you've got plenty of time to observe its growth and make a decision before it reaches any other rocks. Just don't be like me and watch it overgrow 20+ heads of a 50 head candy cane colony before you finally decide to step in do something about it. :(

Glad to here the anemone is looking better. They really do like to eat, don't they?

hi me and my wife think your tank is awesome.I am really glade the rock that we sold you looks goood in your tank and your happy.well i would also like to tell you and your husband that i did get to set my 120 back up and its looking very good right now.my fish are so happy again.Thank you for shareing your tank with us. :cheers: :cheers:

THAT is so GOOD to hear! Yes, the rock was a life saver for us and has given us MUCH pleasure! SO glad you guys got your tank back up! :clap:

Here are a few more pictures for Ryan:

Monti Dig is all filled in and beautiful!

gallery_2631270_258_253400.jpg

Monti Cap Green: Don't think it's grown much, but it looks healthy to me...

gallery_2631270_258_400636.jpg

Hammer: I do think it's pinking up!

gallery_2631270_258_70131.jpg

Monti Dig Brown: lookin' marvelous

gallery_2631270_258_169084.jpg

Monti Cap Brown: not as happy???

gallery_2631270_258_80876.jpg