Nikon 995 picture taking help

dgasmd

While waiting for my baby to be born, I bought this camera thinking it would be great to take as many pictures as possible without having to waste money on film and developing. It has turned out much better than I anticipated.

The problem is that recently I have started to try to take pictures of my tank and some corals and they come out like crap. I can never take pictures like the ones posted here and in RC. I always use the auto mode for the baby pictures and such, which is more than great for it. But, for the tank, I want to use the manual mode that allows one to set all the settings. The problem is I don't even know what they are or mean, so it is hard to adjust what you don't know you are adjusting.

Is there anyone here with a similar camera that can walk me through the steps to adjust it to be able to take great pictures? Please be simple and to the point. I would really appreciate it. :D

Alberto,

I recommend you keep the camera in auto mode.  Manual mode will only confuse you.  F-stops, white light, and exposure will only drive you nuts.  That camera takes awesome pix in the auto mode.  I can send you some camera links.

Out of the box, the Nikon takes beautiful macros.

Practice, practice, practice.  The manual has good photography tips.  Check RC photography forum.  A lot of good info.

I agree, I take all my pics in the auto mode and for most closer pics I take everything in macro mode. While in macro mode there is a flower icon. When the icon turns yellow this is where the camera can focus the best. I can take pics from 18-20" in macro mode in focus, and I can take pics from 1/2" in focus in macro mode. For full tank shots I just use the standard setting on startup. The only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to make by hippo tang look blue instead of purple. Other then turning off the actinics I can't get him to be blue.

George

Guest JFish

all the great shots that you see over on RC..especially from gregr (the photo forum moderator) are taken using a tripod with the camera and macro mode.  

All I do for my pictures.. i have an olympus...is set the camera to macro mode and shoot away... if I want colors as they look under the lighting I have over the tank I go with no flash....in the case of taking pics of fast swimming fish you almost have to use the flash.

These are the basics for taking decent shots...get close to the tank...zoom out with the lens and then zoom until you reach the point where zooming anymore gets blury...

specifically how are your images turning to "crap"?  blury, dark, not white balanced?  Give us more info on what exactly you're trying to do

I also suggest posting in the photography forum at reefcentral...gregr as well as many others who have that exact camera will be able to help you with any troubles that you have...investing in a tripod is the #1 thing to improve shots that your camera alone can't do though.

If you mean blurry as looking like crap, I got that when I first started taking pics.  In the auto mode, the lens will focus on the glass instead of the object you're looking at.  Especially if there is anything at all on the glass.  Some cameras also have a focus mode where the camera will focus when you push the button partially, then if you move the camera it stays on that focus no matter what you see through the view finder.  I have noticed that taking macro (zoom in) pics always come out crisp and in focus.  Play around with it and try lots of different things.  All cameras and tanks (not to mention photographers) are different.  Find what works for you.  You think it's bad taking pictures of your tank, try doing it in scuba gear 100' down!

Good luck.

mc

Alberto- that is the same camera I have that I borrow from work occassionally.  I always use the auto mode.  One thing to change is on the back where it says "M-focus", you want to push that a couple time to get the flower- that is the macro, up close mode.  Make sure if you use the flash (sometimes I need it), to have red eye reduction turned off.  The amount of water flow can cause problems in some shots as well, so you may try cutting back on the pumps for photos.  

James Wiseman has a website that may be of help called reefpix.org (mostly underwater photography), and there is a forum on reefcentral.  There was also a #reefs talk on tank photography that should help which you can find on reefs.org.  Hope that is some help.  You will be able to get great photos with that camera.

Well, I ahve tried several times to take pictures in the auto mode and they come out purple, too bright or dull. I can never get pictures, tripod or not, that come out cristal crisp like some of the ones I see in reefcentral. I ahve used the macro mode several times, but the end result is no better that without it. I guess I'll keep on trying.

Alberto

Alberto,

I have the older version of that camera but i think is pretty much the same thing, and i get very good shots in manual mode, you do have more options, you just have to play around with them, all my pictures are in manual mode with no tripod, go to the settings in the camera on manual point the camera to your tank and play with the different options of white balance that you have, you will see a big difference and that purple color will be corrected.

act2b.jpg

act3b.jpg

both pics in manual/macro/no flash/but different settings in white balance. the first one is a bit blurry(still) I personally like that pic. :D

If you see how many pictures i have in cd's and my hard drive :O,Im taking pictures all the time and they all dont come out nice :laugh: but if you like taking pictures, just have fun with it :;): ,also the camera come with a very helpfull manual, that shows all the setting in different modes.

you can shoot 15 or 20 seconds (not very shure if 20) of video too, plug it in your computer and check it out in QuickTime.

Im not saying that you are not going to get good shots in auto mode, but you definatelly get more out of that toy in manual :cool:

some of the pictures you see online have had the color balanced in a software app like photo shop or photo shop elements. There are many low cost photo editors that will do this. These two photos are the same photo but the 2nd is adjusted to bring it to what it looks like to my eye instead of what it looks like to a digital cam thru a glass.

carpet2.jpg

carpet.jpg

here is a another pic that has been light and white balance adjusted hairy%20mushroom.jpg

does anyone know what this thing is called

I think the idea of getting someone to talk about photography is great. I for one got this particular camera because of all the good reviews and features, but as someone that doesn't know jack about photography I feel as if I am getting 0.02% of my money's worth.

It would be awesome to have someone that is very good at this to give some general tips and explanations. That is an idea for an upcoming meeting. Well, maybe I should let the "officers" come up with it on their own :D  ???