180g stand and canopy build

YBeNormal

How long do these projects usually take?

Depends on how complex the project is, what is going on at work (my real job) and the occassional demands of having a family. I do woodworking in the evenings, on days off and on the weekends and finish work is often dependent upon the weather. One thing I tell everyone is that this is a hobby for me and I won't do rush jobs unless they are looking for and expecting rush quality.

In this case, Mohsin and I discussed and negotiated the project in this thread for quite sme time before I actually got started with construction. My goal is to have it finished within the next couple of weeks though.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bob i thought you'd enjoy seeing the photos of that job.... twas well worth it though, i still get compliments on the stand and its build.

tygger and anyone else considering ybe doing work for you, the best thing you can do is get a design, and a list of things that have to be there for your system, then be ready for bob to alter your design internally

to get exactly what you need structure and design wise. he and i spent the better part of the night before the build covering design when we could have been building if i was better prepared with accurate drawings. i basically said make me a better stand then the AGA/perfecto setups that was able to handle my setup then, then 4 months later he completely gutted the canopy to fit in the tek lights i got from him. again a rush job that he pulled off and still made impressive. :clap:

When i am set on my final tank size i will be again dealing with Bob on the stand canopy, and hopefully we can try some stuff that hes been considering on and off as another proof of concept thing. :bb:

bob, i do like the fact that you found a lumber retailer, cause the few hours we spent picking through the wood piles at HD was quite possibly the most frustrating pursuit of a single straight 2x4 ive ever had to deal with. :eek:

tell your wife im sorry for getting you knee deep in woodworking again though bob, she must hate me :cry:

I come over to Bob's place about once a week, sometime more because I always seem to have questions and need what I considered his expertise, though he will always deny that he's an expert. I tell you, this man must have been born with a mitre saw in one hand and a planer in the other. I saw The in-wall tanks set up he has in his house, the tank and canopy that he built for another client, and the work that he had done up until now on Weapon-X stand, the man is the Einstein of wood working. I don't think Bob understands the meaning of cutting corners or does he approach any projects whether it be for a hobby or for someone else lacadaisically. I have no doubt that Weapon-X will love the stand Bob is building once it is finish and so will anyone else who sees it.

James

• 1 month later...

Hmmm... I guess I really should update this thread and post some pics, eh?

Work and family life slowed things down for a while, slower than usual even for my projects, plus I needed some input from Mohsin on a detail or two. I should be applying stain and finish this week though. I've been taking pics along the way and will try to upload some of them later.

Mohsin and I discussed timing for this build up front. I knew that my work schedule was going to limit my time and he said he was not in a big hurry. In fact, the build is only a week or so behind the original estimated schedule. I'll let Mohsin speak for himself but he dropped by last weekend and I think he felt that it's well worth the wait. ;)

Hmmm... I guess I really should update this thread and post some pics, eh?

Work and family life slowed things down for a while, slower than usual even for my projects, plus I needed some input from Mohsin on a detail or two. I should be applying stain and finish this week though. I've been taking pics along the way and will try to upload some of them later.

Mohsin and I discussed timing for this build up front. I knew that my work schedule was going to limit my time and he said he was not in a big hurry. In fact, the build is only a week or so behind the original estimated schedule. I'll let Mohsin speak for himself but he dropped by last weekend and I think he felt that it's well worth the wait. ;)

The stand was definitley worth the wait and it looks 100x better than the one it's modeled after. It looks incredible!

I have some pictures, but I don't want to spoil the build thread, so you all will have to wait until Bob gets time to post the pictures :) .

Mohsin

Edited by Weap0n_X

OK, it's been a loooong time since I update this thread. Here's a few pics I've taken along the way:

Face framing assembled and ready to be attached to the frame

DSCN5633.jpg

And here are the cabinet doors. OK, they still need a little work! :lol2:

DSCN5635.jpg

Next, cut the door pieces to size and route the rails and styles for the doors

DSCN5640.jpg

Glue up the wider boards for the door panels

DSCN5641.jpg

Use a big, 3" wide and very scary router bit to make the raised panels, then assemble the doors. Here is one completed door. There will be a total of 10 doors on the stand and canopy.

DSCN5645.jpg

Doors are resting in the recessed area of the stand where they will eventually be installed.

DSCN5644.jpg

Made and added fake posts with fluted design.

DSCN5647.jpg

Added two pieces stacked trim to the bottom of the stand.

DSCN5650.jpg

Another view of the bottom trim

DSCN5652.jpg

And a birds-eye view of the stand under construction.

DSCN5655.jpg

I have a few more pictures but need to upload them from the camera. More soon!

Fast forward a bit...

Added decorative base board, crown molding and a beer shelf to the top of the stand. This is one heavy stand so I have mounted a furniture mover and two extra heavy-duty wheels underneath so I can move it around the shop.

DSCN5658.jpg

Built the canopy (like I said, fast forward a bit!)...

DSCN5657.jpg

And here is a picture of the almost-complete canopy resting on top of the stand. Another strip of wood will be added to the top and bottom of the canopy in later pictures.

DSCN5656.jpg

I'm now doing what I like least about woodworking but arguably the most important part of every woodworking project -- sanding, lots of sanding. :(

I have a three-day weekend coming up and should be able to stain everything, maybe even apply the finish. There is light at the end of the tunnel!

I'm diggin the recessed face frame.

Yeah, it's a little more work and takes more wood but I think this will be a feature of most stands I build in the future. Besides adding a nice look to the stand, the recessed doors will allow less light to escape from the stand.

WOW,

Unbelievable.

awesome Bob.

This going into a large Palace or what?

Show us more!

Most people rarely notice the stand of a nice tank.

In this case, they may not notice the tank.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame you can't REALLY make a living at fine cabinetwork these days - you have a definite talent. In the good old days, they would have talked about buying a Ybenormal dining room set. A 3" ogee? I'd be gritting my teeth the whole time.

Grats on a fine piece of furniture!

bob

Thanks everyone.

Bob,

You're right about not making a living making cabinets in a small shop these days. You either need a high-end niche market or a large facility staffed with semi-skilled and usually undocumented people willing to work for low wages. I do this for enjoyment though and maybe make a couple of bucks in the process so I'm happy.

Update:

I'll take final pics this weekend before the stand is moved to Mohsin's Mansion. After that it's up to Mohsin to create a matching reef tank. Hmmm... How about a WAMAS "Pimp my tank" party at Mohsin's? :lol2:

Thanks for the update... And wow! very, very awesome, Bob. I share you sentiments about not being able to make a living at cabinet work. I know that if I could keep the same standard of living, I'd ditch the DoD engineering game in a minute to punch out custom cabinetry. Sigh.

Anyway, looking forward to the final shots of this tank/stand :-)

Matt

I know that if I could keep the same standard of living, I'd ditch the DoD engineering game in a minute to punch out custom cabinetry.

If I had a dollar for every time I made that statement, I wouldn't have to work at all!