How do you...

salmon alley

...keep Caulerpa from invading your tank?

I mean, this stuff seems to come in on almost every piece of LR that I have gotten.  The rock looks clean to start, then after several weeks under the MH, I've got a forest to prune. :(

Buy a tang. 1_tang.jpg

I have a red sea (purple) tang that is three years old. He has never bothered my coral, and I take a handfull of Caulerpa out of my sump and put in my tank once a week. He eats it all and is still hungry enough to eat any other kind of algae he can find. I have heard that some people have had a problem with tangs going after some poylps. I have never seen that happen

I'd love to have your problem.  I can't keep caulerpa growing and I don't have a fuge to propogate it.  The few times I've gotten a bunch, my purple tang devours it in an hour or so, then like aquariareview's, burps and looks for something else to eat.  Never have had a problem with it nipping corals or polyps tho.

mc

I have heard that some people have had a problem with tangs going after some poylps. I have never seen that happen

My well fed yellow tang eats the polyps from my toadstool and xenia.

Believe me, you don't want this problem...the stuff is like Kudzu.  It's a weed which chokes out everything else.  If it was just in my fuge..great, but it's taking over my display tank.  I think the excess CO2 in the water from the calc reactor is fueling it.

I'm ready to tear down the current LR to take it out and scrub it free of the stuff!

Maybe we should have a fish loaner program.  :laugh:  But I don't want to be the one to have to catch and recatch my purple tang in a reef tank.