How do you frag mushrooms?

dgasmd

I have a rock full of mushrooms that I got from geofloors a few months ago. He warned me back then that they would spread all over the place. Well, they have. I must have gone from 40 or so in one rock to hundreds all over the tank.

They seem to be attached at the based to the rock by a small stalk. Can I just cut the stalk? Would one regrow from the stuff left behind? How would the cut mushroom attach to anything? I just want to give away some of them.

Alberto

If they are tall enough you can cut the top off.  The foot will regrow a new top.  Place the cut top in a low flow area with some kind of rubble or CC substrate.  It will grow a new foot and attach.  If it is not tall enough you can cut them in half or just cut part of the foot off.

HTH

I had the same problem with these mushrooms.They divide and spread so quickly that you can't stop them. When fragged them I would cut the top and place them in the 20g where they would attach to some crushed coral and then glue them to a larger rock. What I'm ding these days to remove them completely from the tank is I take the rocks out (which I can get out) and actually peel the foot off with a tweezers. This is time consuming but does work. I still have about 500 to go :)

George

I have been cutting mushrooms up, just trying to remove them from SPS and other corals.  If a little piece alights somewhere in the tank, it will grow.  The base will grow back another mushroom if not completely removed.

The green striped mushrooms I have are very pretty, but they can become weeds.

• 3 weeks later...

I collect unusal musrooms. I have been setting up small (20 gal) mushroom reefs for some school-room tanks. They are easy and they let the kids see the process of their replication.

If you have too many,  peel the foot from the rock with a razor blade and set in a low flow place like a small bowl of gravel set in the bottom tank. When they attach bring them to the next wamas meeting.  I am sure you will have no problem finding a home for them. Many reef keepers love these little animals and have very nice reefs, that have them all over the place. They can be weeds however one mans trash.... Many of the members of this group would love to have cool and unique mushrooms in their tank. I will have a bunch at the next meeting to trade or give away.

I wonder if they are edible.