My Closed Loop

bbyatv

I think you are brave to put that boot on the ground like that, but it's another great idea to try from this thread.

My experience with a Mag9.5 was the opposite - until I went down to 3/4" plumbing I could never open it up it was so loud, and now on my 3/4-1/2 CL I'm not even using a valve. Weird.

jp

Whats a boot?

Does ACE have a good selection of PVC as well. Home Depot is one big dissapointment to me these days

i agree i find that lowes is much better in terms of selection and customer service. i live in dc and i still go to the lowes up the street from brk if john doesnt have the piece in stock

Ace has a good selection, but costs more. The good news is there are no lines and you can find what you are looking for. There is very easy parking as well. A quick in and out.

A boot is the rubber tube shown in the picture earlier in this thread.

Bruce

Whats a boot?

Does ACE have a good selection of PVC as well. Home Depot is one big dissapointment to me these days

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome, where did you get that joiner?

Nice set up. By any chance do you have a schematic of your layout in 2-D or a site to get info on closed looped systems. I don't know enough about the closed lopp systems to attempt a DIY attempt.

Edited by kingfish

A boot is the rubber tube shown in the picture earlier in this thread.

Bruce

yep, I would be nervous about unglued rubber and hose clamps at that pressurized point, but I guess any connection can fail.

So would I if the connection were pressurized. The point here is that the connection is not pressurized. The pump is drawing water from the tank. If anything it is a vacuum connection. The only thing that might happen if it started to leak is a little air might get sucked into the system and come out of the closed loop as microbubbles.

Bruce

yep, I would be nervous about unglued rubber and hose clamps at that pressurized point, but I guess any connection can fail.

All cannister filters are made this way. and I've never had one leak on me

IMO, you should not use less than 1" unless you absolutely have to, and you should consider using bigger than 1". I have used 1/2", 3/4" and 1-1/4" and can attest to the difference in flow from the same pump. If you cannot use large diameter PVC for the whole thing, consider some alternatives:

1) Make all the plumbing >= 1" from the pump up to the back of the tank, then bring it down to 3/4" or whatever for just the last bit which you see in the tank (in other words, if you can't make the whole thing out of big pipe, make as much as you can out of big pipe)

2) Make several parallel small-diameter paths for the entire length of the plumbing, i.e. 2x 3x4" lines side by side. This is less efficient since the flow area is proportional to the square of the diameter (exponential increase) while multiple lines are linear, but will still make a big difference.

3) Related to 1 and 2, use multiple nozzles into the tank, and multiple drains if you can. Notice how bbyatv has several nozzles going back into the tank, and they are smaller plumbing than the rest. This is smart as the several nozzles, even at a smaller diameter, put much less pressure on the pump and allow more flow.

4) If you have to make a choice, I would consider the diameter of the "return" pluming to the pump more important than the plumbing from the pump back to the tank, since the pump is far better at pushing water than pulling water. Looks like bbyatv does this as well.

I just stumbled on this thread as I am setting up a new 125g, and took your advice. Many thanks! I had the returns plumbed with 3/4", and realized the 1" would be better after reading your pretty solid argument.

Thanks again.

Matt

I also took the advice I was going to go with .5 inch (easy to hide) but switched to 1" all the way around except for the outlets which are 1' to 3/4 tee's you can see the progress soon on mexicanjavafishes thread in the general area.

• 2 months later...