SCWD's aren't useles

Basicly the revolving door is only 1/2" tall, so what I did was took 3/4 in pvc and 1/2 pvc and cut half inch long sections of each sanded them down carefully to the 3/4" fit inside of the 1" and the 1/2" fit inside of the 3/4" that reduction for a very short dist (.5") allows the revolving door to cover the openings better.

Cool - How hard would it be to replace the revolving gate with something taller, perhaps a sanded down 2" cap? Could you only keep the impeller and gears from the SCWD? Do you think the gears could handle that much flow?

Dave

switching current water director, its a wave maker, when ran by a pump it pushes water from one side to the other.

So does it work by the water or is it something that has to be plugged in? I have a powerhead with an output that goes back and forth... I think that works by the water going through it. Does the SCWD work that way?

So does it work by the water or is it something that has to be plugged in? I have a powerhead with an output that goes back and forth... I think that works by the water going through it. Does the SCWD work that way?

I assume you're talking about the zoo med power head. I've had a few of them and have had terrible exp with all of them. This product is powered by water and there for adds no heat to the system, nor needs to be plugged in, nor costs $100 + dollars

I've had it for several years, and it's not very powerful given the movement. I was actually thinking about putting it in the nano, because the regular powerhead I would be using is maybe too strong.

I'll have to follow how you put the SCWD into practice.

My next one will be a 4 way I'm pretty darn sure it can be done.

SO sorry... but :blush: what does SCWD stand for?

SO sorry... but :blush: what does SCWD stand for?

switching current water director, its a wave maker, when ran by a pump it pushes water from one side to the other.

Switching current water director... I actually didn't really know

Guest NSC

Jason, it looks like your mod definitely worked out nicely!! The question I have is was the loss from one side to the other that great? I guess I am trying to figure out how to even that out, probably its the play between the housing and the actual switching mechanism. Perhaps reducing the housing size will create a more balanced output.

Hey NSC - I may have misunderstood the post. I thought Jason was saying there is an even amount of flow from each side; however the side that is not active does not stop completely. For example; if there is 1,000gph going into the SCWD then the side that is active pumps out around 850 gph and the side that is inactive pumps out about 150 gph. As the internal door slowly rotates around then active and inactive sides inverse.

I got all my parts and am going to try to get these done this weekend. I got a 1

Edited by rdavidw

Hey NSC - I may have misunderstood the post. I thought Jason was saying there is an even amount of flow from each side; however the side that is not active does not stop completely. For example; if there is 1,000gph going into the SCWD then the side that is active pumps out around 850 gph and the side that is inactive pumps out about 150 gph. As the internal door slowly rotates around then active and inactive sides inverse.

This man is on point, he nailed it exactly. That is exactly what I was describing

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Jason - I would like to ditch the barbs but went for the ease of 1" non-kink tubing. I hooked them up on Friday and they are working well. The weight of the door should be off-set by the water flow pushing up from the bottom. I used lots of Weld-On # 16. I have my Dart valved back, it was just too much wide open. The crushed coral substrate was getting kicked up and the fish looked scared. :eek: I have 2" non-kink running to the Dart and then out to a 1.5" union and ball valve to a three way 1" Y. I guess its not a Y but you get the idea. One of the 1" lines goes to a 40watt UV with ball valves on each side to regulate flow and for easy removal. The other two lines each goes to a SWCDmod. I have a total of 6 one inch retuns running over the back of the tank. The UV on the loop and the sump return are a constant flow of around 600 ghp each. The other 4 run two on at a time and I would speculate they are pushing a little over 1,000 ghp each with my main valve turned 1/4 way down. I have them angled oposing eachother and down at the front glass. I want to change to a sand substrate but am worried it will get kicked around too much. I now see why the under-substrate returns are popular.

One of the SCWDs makes a ticking sound mid-rotation. Its not very loud but noticable. I don't think the door is hitting anything? Its about 10 sec each on the switching and the flow is very random.

My next version will be completely dissasembleable via threaded parts, I'm wanting to see how this turns out in the long run. The clicking sound... I dunno probably the door rubbing on something, could you please take pictures of how you have this all mounted?

The clicking stopped. I will post up some photos. How do you get the photos to show up in the body of the post? I see a place for a URL but don

There is a blue icon to the right of the image icon. Use that one. A little window will pop up with your WAMAS photos, and you just click to add it into the message.

Tracy

• 3 months later...