Tank Tours

Guest reeffoto

Guest reeffoto
I thought having a tank tours would be something new for WAMAS to try.  This is a great way for members to get new idea's and help new hobbiest see how things work.  Also a great way to trade some frags.  I know people enjoy showing off their systems.  I can help organize dates and such.  We can try and do 2 systems a weekend depending on response.  If you would be interested in opening your home to fellow reef or saltwater fanatics let me know.  CMAS has been doing this for years and it seems to work well.  I'll put my name at the top of the list.  Provide me with a couple dates you can do this and we'll get the rubble rolling.  We can wait till summer to start this or sooner depending on response.  I will try and set up dates so reefs are located close to each other so drive time from one to another is as little as possible.  You do not have to have a huge system to have your tank on the tour list.  I have seen some incredible nano tanks and well as larger tanks.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I organized the very first tank tour for CMAS and then did it for the first three years.

I also organized the first auction/trade/swap meet but we only had 75 people.

Not only am I willing to show my tank, I'm willing to help get this off

to a start for WAMAS. All you need to do is ask and help me find a helper other than

my wife Sonya who will anyway.

Chip

I am also willing to help.  Two tours per weekend may be a little much, but we can work the details out as we get more people to respond.

However, we need to define exactly what a 'tour' is.  We obviously cannot swap frags with each visit, are most of them going to be a meet-and-greet kind of deal?

I think it's a great idea.  Not only is it a great way to meet the members and have a face with the name, but also a tank with the name and face!!!

I must admit I'll be a bit embarrassed for all the trained eyes to see my tank (it's easy with all my friends who ogle in front of my tank commenting on all the pretty 'plants' I grow in there...), but it will be nice to take some suggestions.

Be gentle please!!!

I'm in!!!

Cheers

Mike

DuPont, DC

Meet/greet/swap what ever we the members want.

Having at least 2 per Sunday, say 1-3, 3-5 works great.

Arranging locations close together allows members to "drop by"

the open house during those times and also allows the host to drop by the other before or after theirs.

It's not a contest by any stretch. Even the most recent hobbiest gets great ideas and opinions form fellow tour members.

Consider opening your house (tank) and setting a few dates aside to work around.

It's an excellent way to get a lot of those pesky chores you've been putting off done before we show up.  tng

BTW, most people never notice much other than your tank or even care for that matter. We're in the same boat, we have a reef and happen to have our priorities straight. :D

Who's in or considering?

Chip

I'm in, although my 55 gal is just starting and could use some advise, I will like to learn more as time progress from others in the hobby with greater experience.

Jacob [hih]

Thanks Ward & Chip for volunteering to organize this.  I would have posted last night but we were at Scott's house working on symposium and spring meeting.

As mentioned in another thread, the officers are busy working on organizing the Symposium.  If we are successful at that, we plan to put in a bid for a MACNA if the members approve of that venture.

I'll swith you guys to wamas volunteer status and create a forum thread for you so you can post your plans.

:D

You can add me to the list when the "tour" gets to Gaithersburg :-)

Eve

APRIL

17- WAMAS SPRING MEETING

18-

24-

MAY

1-

2-

3 -

9- Mother's Day 9th

22 -

23-

29-

30- MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND

JUNE

5-

6-

12-

19-

20- Father's Day

26-WAMAS Symposium

27-

JULY

3-

4 - HOLIDAY

10-

11-

17-

24-

25-

31-

AUGUST

1-

8-

14-

21-

22-

28-

29-

SEPTEMBER

4-

5- HOLIDAY WEEKEND

I've been thinking it may be easier to do a continuous tank tour schedule. Instead of lumping them all together over a couple of months, do 1 day a month every month.  

One of the reasons I found it difficult to get to the CMAS tours is they are all lumped together in a time of year that has all sorts of other obligations competing for my time.

It also has the advantage of getting more beginners to see tanks before they set theirs up.  One of the driving forces in starting the club was so many of us set up our tanks with out ever really seeing one outside of a LFS.

Just a thought

Glenn

I would be happy to host a tank tour at my place.  Since I am a pretty long drive for most members (I am in Frederick)  I will see if any other reefers in my area are interested.  

I am also willing to do a barbeque or something at my place and make a day of it.  I am available most anytime over the summer.

We could also do a frag swap or whatever, I am fairly flexible.

I'm in. Down in Alexandria. I think this is a great idea!

I've been thinking it may be easier to do a continuous tank tour schedule. Instead of lumping them all together over a couple of months, do 1 day a month every month.  

One of the reasons I found it difficult to get to the CMAS tours is they are all lumped together in a time of year that has all sorts of other obligations competing for my time.

I agree, Sunday afternoons in the summertime? Sorry but that's a toughie for me (FORE!  :D  )

I do like the idea, seeing tanks outside of a LFS is great.

I think this is an excellent idea.  I live in the Vienna area, and could be grouped with others in that area, plus if we have a mtg at the Knights of Columbus in Vienna again I am down the road about 1 mile.  David M.

chideloh?

Any chance on those wonderful grilled asparagus hoer's deuvres? [nana]    [hro

I am also in- just put me down for a date that the Northern Va tanks are toured. Though my tanks are no where near to being mature. I am in Burke. I can have a cooler and the grill going as well.

Lee

Guest clownfish4
This is a great idea!  I would add my tank to the tour, if you guys don't mind seeing a beginners 8 month old 55 gallon tank.*  I live in Fairfax County......we could also just have random meetings of people who live really close together to get advice and what not.

What's the status on this?  Have we reached a consensus on anything?  If things are still up in the air my vote is to have only one per weekend and make a day of it.  Get the grill going, maybe combine it with another fish food making event.

I don't mind hosting a stop at my house as well.  Do I simply choose a date and let everyone know?  Someone posted a schedule earlier, do I just edit his post, if I even can, and put my name on a specific date?  I know a couple of people that work on Saturdays so I am planning to have mine on a Sunday.

There is no firm status for this other than we are planning to hold them and maybe even on a year round basis.

Reffoto, the origional poster and I are trying to work out the details. Look for some form of a "SIGN UP" sheet for those willing to "SHOW" at the WAMAS meeting this saturday, but please remember,

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SHOW TO GO, and this is not a contest!

Basically, all you have to have is a tank and a date and you can show. It's open to EVERYONE and ALL levels.

If you think you are interested in showing, please look at your calanders and offer us several weekends (saturday/ sunday or both) that will work for your showing. We will lump them together and post it as soon as we can. If your not sure don't count yourself out yet.

This is a great way to see several different tanks on any given day and talk to others about them.

Please consider showing and let others see how YOU'RE doing it.

Chip (flowerseller) and Ward (reffoto)

Look for some form of a "SIGN UP" sheet for those willing to "SHOW" at the WAMAS meeting this saturday, but please remember,

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SHOW TO GO, and this is not a contest!

Basically, all you have to have is a tank and a date and you can show. It's open to EVERYONE and ALL levels.

If you think you are interested in showing, please look at your calanders and offer us several weekends (saturday/ sunday or both) that will work for your showing. We will lump them together and post it as soon as we can. If your not sure don't count yourself out yet.

This is a great way to see several different tanks on any given day and talk to others about them.

Please consider showing and let others see how YOU'RE doing it.

Chip (flowerseller) and Ward (reffoto)