Frag Swap Winter Meeting

michaelg

This may be a stupid question, but this seems to be a pretty brotherly organization, and I was wondering as for the frags we bring....things such as zoos and other smaller stuff.....do you guys try to frag them into really small pieces as to spread the wealth or it doesnt really matter?

I try to spread the wealth b/c I remember starting out with nothing in my tank, and this being an expensive hobby, it was very hard to stock.  So, I am sympathetic to those with bare tanks who want more.

Plus, if you ever (and I know it is taboo to mention the "C" word...) have a tank crash, it is nice to have some of your original stock in other people's tanks.  Believe me, I remember those who have hooked me up in the past, and I am more than willing to help them restock if something happens.

I think a fantastic goal of this organization would be to have frags of every species in the club in every member's tank.  It's a little wild I know, but given enough time and generous people, very doable....

Finally, I would much rather get something from a fellow hobbiest's tank that is established and doing well than have to take from the ocean.  It reduces pressure on the reefs, and it is almost guaranteed to be hardier and more established than something wild collected - a win/win IMO...

Cheers

Mike

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think on the frag sizes, it really depends what it is to be honest.  People will give you a gallon size bag of xenia or some of the other "weed" corals....  The slower growing ones, frags generally will be smaller. Type of coral also will have an impact on how big of a piece the frag will be.  By and large though, I'd say the frags that are traded local here are much bigger than frags people sell over the internet.   Also depends if person is clearing room or whatnot.  We have a table that people can just put freebies on for anyone to take.

Guest D33rex
OK cool, so Ill just plan on bringing a grab bag selection of xenias/anthelias/gsp/and leathers for the free table.  It sure sounds like people bring a lot of good stuff from what I see here, I can't wait.

Hey, some of the things I saw that I was interested in are:

Sgt Fury

orange cap - 2

purple cap - 2

D33rex

2-green candy cane

3-red candy cane

OUSnakebyte

green or orange monti caps

I have some decent size chunks of brown/orange zoos and some purple mushrooms - and cash of course

lmk please

Guest D33rex
Several people have sent me emails to set up trades for the meeting.  On each of the emails there is a link, but when I click it, I just get an error screen. I don't know if theres something wrong with my email or if I can check these messages on this website?  If you are one of these people this is why I have not responded.

Guest naso
Hey Rex, I emailed you, I definately want some of your stuff, especially before you put it on the free table, I can pay for some stuff. My email is mstone5063@aol.com Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

Guest naso
Would love some candy cane, leathers, and green star polyps. Look forward to meeting you.

the messages are probably being generated through the PM (private message) system that the board has- look in the upper right hand corner when in the forums- there you will see "Your Messenger"= click on that to enter the PM system.  Some people do not wish to have their e-mail accessable, so use this system if that is the case- they will get an e-mail notification that you sent a message.

Hope that helps.

Guest reverai

I don't any live stock to trade as I've just upgraded to a much larger tank. But I do have about 20 pounds of Tonga Rock rubble that varies in size from a few inches to even smaller. It works great in sumps ect.

Anyone interested in a good trade or trades?

Thanks

Steve

Guest D33rex

Frag update, also available are:

1-Nepthelia ...sp?

2-a red/green candy cane...only 1.

3-white/teal zoos

4-red/purple/green zoos

5-since Ive basically decided to go all soft....if someone offers me something good Ive got a red/green 4 inch brain coral ill part with

Guest reverai

In a response to an email. My Tonga rock rubble isn't alive as it is what was left over from setting up another tank. It's small pieces. Ranging from very small to about an inch or two.

Oh...and I only have about 100 watts of light right now which precludes anything but lower light things.....

Steve

Guest cjm033

im looking for some small sps frags ,and colorful zoos. ill pay for them.

i also have some bright orange zoo frags. and ill have to check tomorrow to see hwat other zoos i got.

I updated my gallery photos with most of my corals.  Some are for trade others are too small still for trading.

So far I got trades:

Michael G - Hidinus for #2

Michael G - Blue Acrop for #4

Michael G - Pocillopora for #6

Tang Away - Millipora for Purple Acro

Guest Tomsimtim

Greetings all,

I will be a first timer this Winter meeting.  Love mushrooms, looking to buy some blue and a colored M. Digitada, purple for the wife if possible.

46 Bow, 2-96 pc,

My tank is new and I'm just starting to learn and keep EASY softies, that do well under PC lighting. A few of you have already helped me out tremendously and I'm looking for more! I'll take (almost) anything.

Save some for me!!!