1" slow drain

emissary

I have a 30G tank that gets water from my main sump off a mag 9.5 I just bought today. Water overflows down a 90deg elbow, through a bulkhead, around the corner via 90deg elbow, and then down via 90deg elbow and then many other twists and turns before eventually ending back in the tank.

DSC_2538.thumb.jpg DSC_2546.thumb.jpg

Interestingly enough, I was able to drain a MAG 12 yesterday. It was making a horrible slurping sound (doh, forgot to do the T on the outside with a hole in it) so I shoved a 1/4" vinyl tube down the hole. That shut it up right quick and everything worked fine overnight.

Today I bought a MAG 9.5 (12 was just too strong) and LO AND BEHOLD the 1" overflow can't handle the flow out. To more permanently solve the noise problems I drilled holes in the elbows on the outside and shoved a 1/4" vinyl tube down each of the 2 holes I drilled. Tried sticking a 1/4" vinyl tube into the elbow inside the tank too to no avail. It's just not handling the flow.

DSC_2547.thumb.jpg DSC_2552.thumb.jpg

What am I doing wrong? It worked off a mag12 yesterday.

Where the water ends in the sump, lift that so it's out of the water, not submerged.

Even if it's half way out, it's able to reduce the back pressure.

You could even drill a hole above the water level like you would on a return and that might help.

Other than that, I'd get a new tank.

Eh?

I think he's talking about where the pipe from the overflow of the 30G enters the tank. If it is submerged, this could create some back pressure.

Have you checked whether it makes a difference if you completely cover the hole in the 1/4 in tubing? I know this (size of the whole letting in air) makes a difference in stockman/durso overflows. Not sure if it would have the same effect here.

IF a Mag-9.5 is right for a 30-gallon tank, what should I be using on a 58-gallon tank? I thought a Mag-7 would be plenty!

bob

Have you checked whether it makes a difference if you completely cover the hole in the 1/4 in tubing? I know this (size of the whole letting in air) makes a difference in stockman/durso overflows. Not sure if it would have the same effect here.

Aha! This was it. I removed all attempts at reducing noise (covered up holes, no tubes) and the drain is accomodating the flow. Huh, how about that.

• 4 weeks later...

I think your 1st setion there is what is causing slo flow, there isn't any head pressure to push the water. If you want to cut the noise and increase the flow I would re-work your plumbing as such:

Rotate the 1st 90 el by 45 degrees so that this section is sloped well. Go the required distance and instead of another 90 el, use a 45 el to turn and go str8 down.

I would bet Acros to Mushroom you will see a marked increase in flow by eliminating that flat section up at the top bulkhead.

good luck

(edited)

Now how would I have a Pic of your plumbing? :o)

In the drain line right now coming out of the bulkhead you have a 3 or 4 inch section that is level. Right?

That is your flow problem. I'm sure of it.

Eliminate that flat section

View from inside the aquarium... go from:

|------O -bulkhead

|

|

|

sump

To

......... O

........./

......../

....../

..../

...|

...|

Sump

ARGH, why don't the spaces show up in the post?!?!?!

Ignore the dots in the 2nd diagram.

Sorry, this is hard. I could sketch it in 5 seconds. I could prolly do it easier than explain it on this forum.

Edited by Grav