Did you guy's think I was done posting here?

dandy7200

The welding gun will indeed speed thing up for you. When welded that seam is super strong and yes tack welding it first is a great thing also. I have very limited experience with the welding gun as I used a very simple one. Per that link I posted for you they have some that are really impressive but, are big bucks. If you notice the H&S skimmers along with the Bubble King skimmers use that PVC weld for most of their joints. For what your doing long term it will save you a lot of time. It does take some doing to get the right touch if your using one of the less fancy guns but, it's not too hard to get it right. My Kalk reactor is made this way although it's pretty ugly by way of the welds but, it's rock solid. Let us know which gun you get.

I called 3 schools that offer thermoplastic welding certification and asked what the industry standard was, then called Miller in PA to see what the use in their shops. 4 of the same answer was good enough for me. Thanks for the info and good luck with your project, sorry we couldn't hook up today.

I like what I'm seeing, and find your commitment to quality very very refreshing! I can't wait for you line to finish comming out. I'll be looking into most if not all of it.

any updates Dan?.

Whoops the topic got a little off track and I finished it without taking pictures, loaded it with a mixture of carbon and Phosar and fired it up :)

456093496_d66bc13c01.jpg

Kind of bummed that I don't have the space to run this external but it is fine in sump, I just like to see all of the equipment dry. I do love running carbon like this, it clears the water so fast and much longer than just passve flow though a bag and with the inner chamber it makes changing the cartridge such a simple task, just like a RO cartridge really.

Thanks Jason, look forward to working with you. Product development is chugging along and I am actually starting the research into a CNC mill to help speed things up :) Really looking forward to the plastic welding though as this will open up the door to work with polypropylene, polyethylene HDPE etc. as things progress this will surely come in handy as I fit parts to pumps which are made with these materials.

Wow Dan! Plastic welder, CNC, what next? :)

I'm very happy with the design and construction on the kalk stirrer you donated for the Spring raffle and I have no doubt that the construction (seams included) will stand up to many years of operational use. It's good to see that you continue to look for ways to improve your products though. Add my name to the growing list of satisfied customers!

Dan,

Just want to say thanks for contributing to the DIY. Your attention to detail is appreciated, especially when you are willing to share. My very simple take on this is that if your seams fail in the future, you seem like a person who will honor repairs. If I need something, I will give you a call.

So WAMAS, don't forget to support local manufacturers, as well as LFS :biggrin:

Great (not just good) luck in your venture...

Nadir

• 1 year later...

Pulling this thread from Dan out to ask a basic question. Since Dan has been very busy I am sure others can give some insight. In the thread I think he uses a router to make those circular grooves. Without having a router table how do you make the grooves perfectly circular? and which bit would you use?

You put a hole half the distance/diameter of what you want for a final dimension from the hole to the router bit in the material. Then in that hole put a pin (1/4" diameter or something) in that hole. Basically the pin that is in the router table works as a pivit point to spin the material around on the router table with the router bit just breaking through the material. When you spin the material and the router bit cuts as you spin you get a perfect circle. It's something you have to be careful of because you can easily lose a finger if you let it get away from you.

Thank you. I guess I need to get a router table. I have a router, but no table. I am not to worried about the finger issue. I was born with 10 so I can make a couple of mistakes. :)

Pulling this thread from Dan out to ask a basic question. Since Dan has been very busy I am sure others can give some insight. In the thread I think he uses a router to make those circular grooves. Without having a router table how do you make the grooves perfectly circular? and which bit would you use?

I use a circle cutting jig made made by Jasper model 200J. You can find it on Amazon for ~$40 here.

Thanks a lot. What do you use it for? Does it come with directions or is it pretty easy to understand?

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you. I guess I need to get a router table. I have a router, but no table. I am not to worried about the finger issue. I was born with 10 so I can make a couple of mistakes. :)

The first thing I made with my router - was a router table...

bob