TDS Meter Questions

rooroo

I'm a bit embarrased to say that I do not have a TDS meter for my RO/DI unit, and I think I am now paying the consequences of not having one. I am in the middle of a hair algae bloom, and I think the TDS in my RO/DI water is to blame. I am doing water changes frequently but I don't think this is helping at all if my filters are spent.

So, should I get an inline TDS meter or a handheld one? I'm tempted to go cheaper and just get a handheld but if an inline is worth it, I'll get one. Also, can I get a handheld from Home Depot? I believe I can get replacement filters (not DI or RO membrane) from HD since my RO/DI uses standard size filters.

I have a handheld... I'll bring it by tonight...

As to my opinion I like the inline... why... because it allows me to see the TDS just after the RO system (before the DI) and then after the DI, so I can check when filters or DI cartridge needs to be replaced.

Dave

Sweet! I spent a lot of time researching what to do about the hair algae bloom and it all points to my ro/di water being inferior.

So what about replacement filters for the ro/di? Can I use the ones from HD or should I buy them online?

I didn't know you could get filters for your RO/DI at HD... I have always bought them online.

Dave

I have a handheld, but have been thinking about getting a pair of inline meters - for exactly where you test, Dave.

What place would you recommend to buy them from?

Buckeye supply has everything with reasonable prices http://www.buckeyefieldsupply.com/showprod...howspecials=149

Air Water Ice is also good: http://www.airwaterice.com/c=coD5eYekQH6Qk...Tp/category/10/

I highly recommend in line TDS testing. You can also get Auto shutoff valves, float valves, and other accessories at these two places.

Premium Aquatics has the Inline TDS meter for $29.99. $10 less than other places.

I am using 2 of the inline TDS meters from TheFilterGuys to test in the following four places: 1) B/N pre-filters and RO membrane; 2) b/n RO and 1st DI; 3) b/n 1st DI and 2nd DI; and 4) after 2nd DI.

Following the recommendations from their web site, I rotate and refill the DI cartridges whenever I get a reading of 0.3 after the 1st one, thus making absolutely sure that I always get a 0.0 reading for product water.

A bit overkill perhaps, but it was worth it for me just b/c it takes all the guesswork out of it. I now don't have to wonder whether my make-up water is the source of any problems, making the true cause that much easier to find. I am very happy with the inline meters.

I got mine from the filter guys...

Dave

So these refillable DI filters, are they the way to go? Are they easy to refill? Is the resin something I have to dispose of at a toxic waste center? Do I need to be careful about where I store them? Or is all the hassle not worth it and I sshould just go with the single use filters?

Wow... I use them, never thought about them being toxic waste...

They are very easy to use... I do with the media what I did with my old filters... to the trash can...

Dave

I recently went through attempting to dispose of a bunch of half full old paint cans that the previous homeowners left behind. We tried to take them to the Frederick County Landfill but they said we couldn't toss them there unless the paint was solid, or we had to take to a toxic waste disposal center. Since we went to the landfill specifically to get rid of the paint and still had to pay $2 just because we drove in and out the gate, I have a tendancy to ask. :)

Ok, the refillable ones seem easy enough. I'll have to get some because I'm sure the DI resin needs to be changed too.

TDS is 0. Better get going on those water changes! Thanks Dave for letting me try out the TDS meter.

TDS is 0. Better get going on those water changes! Thanks Dave for letting me try out the TDS meter.

Estimate on how many gallons with a new RO/DI filter before you need new filters/membrane??

bob

Estimate on how many gallons with a new RO/DI filter before you need new filters/membrane??

bob

There is no simple answer to that question. It depends on the quality of the tap water, type, quantity and configuration of filters in your RO/DI system, whether you make your RO/DI water in lots of small batches or fewer large batches, whether you backwash the system or not, etc. Figure on replacing the sediment and carbon filters every 6 months, more or less depending on usage, and monitor TDS readings to determine how often you need to change the RO membrane and DI cartridge/beads. Spend a few bucks to buy a good system and quality filters up front and you will save $$$ in the long run.

I bought my unit in July from Premium Aquatics and haven't replaced the filters yet. I do ~15 gallons at a time. Probably made water an average of once a week since July... anyone have a calculator? So 8 months now? I might get a year out of these filters. However, replacements seem a lot cheaper than I thought when buying from a place like The Filter Guys, and a TDS isn't too expensive, so once I get a bit of extra money I'll spend some on a TDS meter and some replacement filters just to have on hand.