Do T8's fit in T12 Fixtures?

'Ric

I have a normal four tube 48" T12 Fl. fixture. Is there any problem replacing the bulbs with T8's or even T5's? Will all of the above fit in the same endcaps?

'Ric

I'm not sure I know the T5s will not... but the T8s might...

Dave

If you don't mind me hopping on this thread, I get that t12's are what most people think of as normal florescents, and I have T5's ... what the heck is a t8?

t12 is either 1 inch or 1.25 inches around t6 is smaller size 2/4 inch i think. uses less wattage but has higher light output per watt due to its size

t5 smaller still 1/2 inch and puts out even more light per watt then either of the above

if the t12 fixture says t8 then its ok. otherwise BAD IDEA. bulbs either dont last long, dont light right or blow the ballast.

the opposite though is usually true. if you have a t8 ballast it usually can run t12. they both use the same endcaps. but different wattage.

Edited by Jager

To determine the bulb sizes, multiply the number after the "T" by 1/8". So...

T12 = 1.5"

T8 = 1"

T5 = 5/8"

Edited by YBeNormal

T-8 and T-12 has the same pin arrangement and can be interchangable on same sockets depends on ballasts. T-5 has smaller pin arrangment and would require different sockets.

T-8 and T-12 has the same pin arrangement and can be interchangable on same sockets depends on ballasts. T-5 has smaller pin arrangment and would require different sockets.

TROLL is right:

T8 lamps require an electronic ballast specifically designed to operate lamps at a lower current than T12 lamps. Whenever T12 lamps are replaced with T8 lamps, the ballast must also be replaced. Install an electronic ballast for optimum light quality and efficiency; electronic ballasts don