HELP! New Torch dying... Why!!??

Guest Faustous

Guest Faustous
(edited)

I just bought my first batch of corals, one hammer and one torch... the hammer is doing fine.

The torch though is dying!! I don't know what it is. I watched last night and didn't see anything chewing on it... but part of one of the heads (the heads were splitting) is now bleached!

Help! What can I do??

This SUCKS, I just got him and now this :( I am depressed...

Water Parameters:

Salinity - 1.0243

PH - 8.2

Ammonia - 0.25

Nitrite - 0.0

Nitrate - 10

Calcium - 480

Alkalinity - 3 mEQ/L

Phosphate - 0

Little bit of a Nitrate spike, but yesterday I had a large water change and moved a few rocks, which stirred up the sand...

Edited by Faustous

is the bleaching spreading?, or is it staying localized to one area? if it has stopped spreading, then you may be ok, and hopefully the bleached part will grow back in time. If it still spreading, then you might try to have someone else with exceptional water quality and lighting, hold on to the coral for a few months to let it recuperate.

Just a thought.

John

:cheers:

Guest Faustous
what type of light was he under before you got him and what type of light is it under now?

Before: He was bought from Marine Scene in the Nano coral section... I THINK they are T5s.

Now: 1 24 10k Coralife and 1 24k Actinic

Also, how long has the tank been set up? That's a small tank and needs to be well established before putting corals in.

Tank has been setup since August... so 6 months or so... everything in my tank has been healthy... no deaths (cept for suicides... Clown leapt over the wall)

is the bleaching spreading?

YES! I am working from home today, so staring right at the tank, and I am watching it happen!!

If it still spreading, then you might try to have someone else with exceptional water quality and lighting, hold on to the coral for a few months to let it recuperate

Is there anyone nearby me that can help??!!!

When you say bleaching - do you mean it looks white, and you see flesh separating and floating away or flesh is retracted? Picture would really help to understand the problem. If it's retracted - then it could be a flow issue as torch does not like much of it.

Last time I fragged my frogspawn I split a head accidentaly and ended up with 2 nice frags as both halfs healed and opened up after some time.

Guest Faustous

It is "drying" up. turning white. I saw some fleshy heads... float away from it this morning...

It SEEMS to have stabilized... but I don't know for sure yet.

I will get pics up asap. The head are semi retracted on the past that is still viable.... floating in the stream :)

Pics will be better.

Guest Faustous
(edited)

The acclimation process was a drip feed of 50mL/minute over 45 minutes. Same way I normally acclimate.

Can you pass on more information on the "dip"?

Update: Entire 2nd head is gone and white. Parent head looks weak, flesh is deflated not puffed... honestly, it looks like a goner. I just don't really understand it.

Top off water has been Distilled/filtered ... not RO, but from my understanding... darn close.

He hasn't been in the tank more than 36 and I haven't topped off in that time.

No skimmer, it's a 14 gallon BioCube. Everyone says that the Fission skimmer sucks... so I don't have a skimmer.

Edited by Faustous

(edited)

I didn't have best of luck with torches... All of my hammer, frogspawn, and fine grape are doing great- they're in same family. I had a torch in temporary tank for a while, doing well in there while some acros didn't do good. When I transferred them all, torch died within 3-4 days.

I remember my other torch, it died a month after I got it. I'm not going to buy any more torches-seems like they're not suit for reef tank. If everyone have better luck then I'm glad for them :)

Edited by TROLL

Guest Faustous
(edited)

I didn't have best of luck with torches... All of my hammer, frogspawn, and fine grape are doing great- they're in same family. I had a torch in temporary tank for a while, doing well in there while some acros didn't do good. When I transferred them all, torch died within 3-4 days.

I remember my other torch, it died a month after I got it. I'm not going to buy any more torches-seems like they're not suit for reef tank. If everyone have better luck then I'm glad for them :)

See... now I wish someone had said this at the LFS!!! Now I am out $18 :(

That sucks cause I am now on a weekly husband budget :(

UpDATE: Here is the poor lad:

021.JPG

Edited by Faustous

(edited)

Owchie, he looks partially dead- won't be long till he turns into jelly and just float away in the current. Sorry, bro.

If you want more of similar one- Many people here have frogspawn, hammer, fine grape, bubble (high water quality only), and many more. I'm sure they'll sell you a frag at good price. I have a frogspawn and fine grape that I may frag soon.

Edited by TROLL

(edited)

I have a torch thats been doing great for a couple of years. I fragged it recently and would be willing to give you a frag as long as you'll give me a frag of something in the future. Let me know if you want one and if you'll be at the meeting next weekend. As long as I'm going I'll bring a frag.

I have less luck with frogspawns (I've had one for 2 years that took a move bad). :why:

Edited by rooroo

Guest Faustous

I had a feeling he was a goner... I feel bad for him.... sucks.

I don't think I want to try another Torch... got a line on a few other things, including a Frog frag :)

I need to do some more research...

Thanks all.... twas a valient effort