magazine subscriptions?

Folta

Hey all...

well, I"m looking for a few new magazines to subscribe to that deal with corals and marine fish. Any suggestions? I had subscribed to Tropical Fish magazine for a year, however I wasn't all that ecstatic about how much non-reef stuff there was.

To be more specific, I'm looking for a magazine that caters to a lot of the extra stuff we have to do for our reef tanks, instead of seeing in a Q&A thread over and over 'what specific gravity should I be at?' 'how do you cycle a tank?' - While those questions are helpful in their own right, I'm looking for magazines that would discuss different types of lighting (T5 vs. SE MH vs. DE MH, etc), different skimmers and how to tune them, lowering nitrates and phosphates to the degree we look to do in our tanks, and so forth.

So, suggest away! :)

reefcentral.com and reefs.org both have online monthly magazines. As far as subscriptions to magazines in print the only one I get is C by Anthony Calfo but it doesnt address the specific type things you are looking for.

You can find information for the things you are looking for on this site and sites like reefcentral.com and reefs.org however you will see a lot of differing opinions in the threads.

Thanks for your reply. I do read the reefkeeping online mag every month, lots of interesting stuff in there. As far as the things I mentioned above, those are more like examples of the level of articles I'm looking for. I'd like something in print too, that I can read more for when I'm not near a computer than when I am.

I haven't been to reefs.org, didn't know that they existed... do they have an online publication?

Some good online recommendations, thanks!

I'm still looking for a few good paper published magazines.. I believe Howard was speaking of Marine Fish and Reef? But I cannot find a place to get a subscription to that. I've also found 'Coral', which unfortunately is only a bi-monthly run.

I have subscribed to Anthony Calfo's Journal and have really enjoyed it, very good read and informative. It only comes out quarterly and is pricey. But is 100% marine.

Calfo Journal

Can bring it to the tank tours if you would like to leaf through also.

Regards,

John Wildman

Some good online recommendations, thanks!

I'm still looking for a few good paper published magazines.. I believe Howard was speaking of Marine Fish and Reef? But I cannot find a place to get a subscription to that. I've also found 'Coral', which unfortunately is only a bi-monthly run.

If you like paper go with FAMA - Freshwater and Marine Aquarium Magazine. I have subscribed for over 15 years. However, I now am to the point that I would rather have virtual information on the 'net.

It is still the gold standard for paper publications. Go to http://www.famamagazine.com/FAMA/

There is a german publication that is published in several languages. I think it's just called KORAL or CORAL magazine in english... I can't recall specifically though.