advice on acclimating the corals to new lights

Guest vatbrew

Guest vatbrew

My T5's will be coming next week and they will be replacing 2 10k VHO's. I currently have a toadstool leather and some kind of tree coral close to the surface. I'm assuming I should relocate them to the bottom of the tank until they are used to the new lights?

Depending on how you are mounting your lights, it might be easier and more feasible to add screening and/or eggcrate over the tank. Then every so often take a sheet of screening off, until all sheets are gone. That should acclimate them without you having to change your tank around.

Guest vatbrew

Depending on how you are mounting your lights, it might be easier and more feasible to add screening and/or eggcrate over the tank. Then every so often take a sheet of screening off, until all sheets are gone. That should acclimate them without you having to change your tank around.

i will be monting them directly to the hood, so they will be approx. 10" off the water.

I've always gone off of the advice of both Joe Burger (JBNY) and Sanjay Joshi, the two foremost lighting experts. It doesn't have to be that complicated... The simple thing to do is just temporarily change your lighting schedule to acclimate everything to the new lights. If you run your lights for 8 hours a day for example, start with two hours on, two hours off, two hours on, two hours off, and slowly close the gap over the course of a few weeks. This has always worked for me even with 400 watt 10ks and acropora growing on the surface. You could keep an eye on things to see how they adapt and adjust accordingly, but something similar to the schedule above should work for most lighting upgrades and is easier to quantify than screening materials and moving corals in my opinion...