!!! POWER OUTAGE !!!

madmax7774

My wife just called, and the power just went out at my house. This is the first time this has happened in the 4 years I have lived in Northern Virginia. I am not completely Panicked yet, but I am nervous. What should I do? I don't have a generator, and I don't have a battery operated air pump. I can stop at the LFS on the way home, and buy one of those battery operated air pumps. How long can a 120G system last with no power? My heat is gas forced air, so I ***think*** the furnace will still work. THe downstairs will stay fairly warm for several hours anyway. Suggestions??

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Oh sh1t! I called Dominion power, and they are reporting a widespread outage in my area, that is not expected to be restored until 8pm. That's 4 hour length of time. Will my tank be ok for 4 hours with no power?????

:eek:

I have had a fuly stocked 125 go for 5 hours with no power and be fine. Should be fine with nothing done for first hour or more. After that, you can start taking water from sump and pour into tank to create a little flow every 15 minutes or so [pour few gallons each time].

Buy inverter from radio shack that runs off car battery and you could just run return pump only off it & maybe a heater.

I have generator - as do others - if you are out for extended period of time.

Oh sh1t! I called Dominion power, and they are reporting a widespread outage in my area, that is not expected to be restored until 8pm. That's 4 hour length of time. Will my tank be ok for 4 hours with no power?????

John I have the battery powered airpumps and I will be at the shop till about 5:00 or so

If you are working or passing by Pentagton City on the way home from work you can pick up my battery powered air pump. It's not much, but better than nothing, I suppose.

'Ric

A map of where I am is in my member profile hompage link.

I have a 400W (800W peak) inverter that I can lend you (free) or sell you ($25 - I paid $40 last year and have used it once). I just upgraded to a 750W to use on one of those DIY battery back-ups. Been meaning to put this one up for sale just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anyway -- it is at my house in Annandale. Very easy to use. Just hook it up to your car battery and plug in an extension cord. 400 watts should be enough to power most return pumps. It will run for as long as you have gas in your car.

Give me a call (703 402 5276) if you need it.

I have some battery powered airpumps and a generator you are welcome to borrow. Your priorities are water movement and heat at this point.

PM me if you want some help.

regards,

John Wildman

in Herndon

I have a 400W (800W peak) inverter that I can lend you (free) or sell you ($25 - I paid $40 last year and have used it once). I just upgraded to a 750W to use on one of those DIY battery back-ups. Been meaning to put this one up for sale just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Anyway -- it is at my house in Annandale. Very easy to use. Just hook it up to your car battery and plug in an extension cord. 400 watts should be enough to power most return pumps. It will run for as long as you have gas in your car.

Give me a call (703 402 5276) if you need it.

If worse comes to worst petsmart carries the batt opperated air pumps, if the staff is too dumb to know what you're taking about (not terribly uncommon) check near the power heads and air pumps, should be planogramed between the penguin powerheads and the tetra tec deep water air pumps

Thanks JohnnyBV for the offer but I could never get there in time. I will grab one this weekend, when i am there. The mention of the car power inverter has jogged my memory, and My neighbor has one, I am going to borrow it, and run it from my car, and then string extension cords into the house to get the return pump going. Once that is up, I should be Ok for several hours. If things turn out to be overnight or longer, I may start looking to borrow a generator...

thanks everyone for the good idea's

You know this is happening to me because I had to go and run my mouth to dhoch about how my power has never gone out in 4 years....

I should have never said anything!!

God I hate Murphy's law!

John

Edited by madmax7774

I larned from Chip during Hurrican Isabel that you can just syphonout 5 gallons of water, and dump them right back into the tank every 1/2 hour, this will keep the water movement and air circulation. Unless you have a battery operated thermostat, here is not mch you can do.. and please don't try the microwave thing or the heat up on the gas stove.... just be patient..

I had lost power for 28 hours without any major problems. The 220g tank had fish and mostly softies.

Now I use a computer UPS for the main pump only.

Power came back finally, Not sure what caused the outage. My neighbor had a power inverter, so The plan was to use that, but luckily it never came to that. Thanks everyone for the pointers and help

John

:)