My Sohal is eating my blue zoas!

Folta

The past few weeks I've been trying to figure out what was happening to one of my zoa colonies... I have a rock that has maybe 200 or so zoas on it, and they have been disappearing.

Well I finally found the cuplrit; it's my sohal tang! I thought maybe I wasn't giving him enough, so I've attached extra food for him to much (nori as well as some celery tips)... and he devours that, he devours the pellets I put in the tank (and I make sure to feed him a little extra), and then after a bit he'll go eat some zoas.. even when there's nori and celery still hanging in the tank.

Anyone else ever see this type of behavior with a Sohal? He leaves all other zoas alone.

Ouch...had the same thing happen with a desjardini tang. It got worse and had to break down the rockscape just to catch it. Lost a few colonies of zoanthids.

Best of luck with the sohal.

Wow, seems that it's not as rare as I thought it would be! Now why can't he just have gone after my yellow polyps instead? I have some on a rock that I want gone. : /

bummer - so what goes, and what stays?

Ouch...had the same thing happen with a desjardini tang. It got worse and had to break down the rockscape just to catch it. Lost a few colonies of zoanthids.

Best of luck with the sohal.

Francis, He stopped when it cam tto the less colorful zoos i was hoping he would eat...

I thought zoas were highly toxic. I have read a lot about people being posioned by zoas.

How is this happening? :why:

bummer - so what goes, and what stays?

Francis, He stopped when it cam tto the less colorful zoos i was hoping he would eat...

Picky eater? He did like my safecracker zoos and tubs blue colonies the most.

Alright, I've stepped up the extra food I have clipped in the tank the past few days, and I haven't seen him go after any of the zoas since I have... -- nori, celery tips, AND lettuce.. all clipped in the tank.. he does quick loops from one to the next to the next... and is still first in line when I put in pellets...

Hopefully he'll behave as long as I make sure there's a lot of food for him to nibble.

I thought zoas were highly toxic. I have read a lot about people being posioned by zoas.

Who do you know that's eating zoas? Are they like psychedelic mushrooms?