It was a busy week in my shop.

dandy7200

Dan, that looks like primo work, congrats on hitting the big time enough to require a shift to vendor status :P i think that proves how well youve done here :P

WE need to get together on the documentation stuff whenever your ready

just give me a call

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone :)

I gotta post this though. Sometimes 0.01" makes a tremendous differance. That's all it took to hit the 1000lph air mark on the Standard Eight (previously was 900lph which is same as Deltec claims)

No I didn't start making the bodies out of white PVC although it kinda looks that way:

511612560_2c5026a2ec_b.jpg

The foam is actually pushing the carbon lid off the cup and this lid weighs a little over 2#!!!!!

511612546_af8b4f18a4.jpg

Might have to put a valve on the air supply line after all.

Also of note the calcium reactor page is up although it still needs a bit more info on there.

http://www.greyseasaquatics.com/calciumreactors.html

Thanks everyone :)

I gotta post this though. Sometimes 0.01" makes a tremendous differance. That's all it took to hit the 1000lph air mark on the Standard Eight (previously was 900lph which is same as Deltec claims)

No I didn't start making the bodies out of white PVC although it kinda looks that way:

511612560_2c5026a2ec_b.jpg

The foam is actually pushing the carbon lid off the cup and this lid weighs a little over 2#!!!!!

511612546_af8b4f18a4.jpg

Might have to put a valve on the air supply line after all.

Also of note the calcium reactor page is up although it still needs a bit more info on there.

http://www.greyseasaquatics.com/calciumreactors.html

Good grief what a beautiful piece of work. What is the price on that bad boy? :scuba:

Same as the last time you ask :biggrin:

Oh this is the one I'm saving up for... got it :drink:

Can't wait till the one day I get it

(edited)

Wow, what a thread! Great website too. I especially find appealing the KISS aspect of the webiste (Keep It Simple, Stupid). There is one aspect of the website I would like to see, if you don't mind me butting in here. As one who will soon be looking for a new skimmer, it would be great to see some kind-of comparison of how yours stack up to the competition and/or some comparison of specs. Testimonials would help too, especially in lieu of comparison charts, etc.

I will likely never be able to find a "Consumer Reports" issue comparing skimmers . . . but I keep hoping. :)

{edit} P.S. Any plans on making sumps and/or overflows?

Edited by Biodork

Wow, what a thread! Great website too. I especially find appealing the KISS aspect of the webiste (Keep It Simple, Stupid). There is one aspect of the website I would like to see, if you don't mind me butting in here. As one who will soon be looking for a new skimmer, it would be great to see some kind-of comparison of how yours stack up to the competition and/or some comparison of specs. Testimonials would help too, especially in lieu of comparison charts, etc.

I will likely never be able to find a "Consumer Reports" issue comparing skimmers . . . but I keep hoping. :)

{edit} P.S. Any plans on making sumps and/or overflows?

I plan to post all the important specs on the site in regards to skimmers for sure. I wont post anything about competitors products though. I will post what features make mine better. On the edit, funny you should ask. I'll post a pic of a custom overflow I just finished making. I am putting together my first "Ultimate System 70" right now and there will of course be a sump that holds all of that so I will post as time allows. I also have some other fun stuff that will be coming soon but I don't want to spoil all of the surprises ;)

BTW, I got your PM and it will take me a little time to respond but in short....yep :biggrin:

Well OK one pic of the "Ultimate System 70"

505135217_b941439668.jpg

:idea: :idea: :idea:

although dan may not be able to post anything about competitors products--totally respect and understand why--other members that have purchased things from greyseas can comment/compare and contrast his product w/ other products in the vendor experience forum.

what do you all think?

I currently have the greyseas kalk stirrer and the phosphate remover and will be getting the skimmer shortly. So far I have been very happy with the two pieces of equipment that I have. I have been in the hoby for a descent amount of time and still clearly have a long way to go until my tank is show quality as I feel dans is.

One lesson I have learned is you definitly get what you pay for in the reef hobby. Before this Kalk stirrer I had a DIY one which barely worked. It also leaked and was a real pain to fill. Dans is a pleasure to use with no problems.

My tank currently has a phosphate problem. I think it has alot to do with my home made fish food and my triggers. I have been advised that unless you are carefull in selecting the seafood you use, that most will have some kind of preservative which adds a tremendous amount of phosphates. Even fresh seafood has preservatives to help in transport. My hope is that the phosphate remover will get this under control, slowly eliminate my hair algea and then allow my SPSs to show more growth. Stay tuned I will keep you posted. I am currently using it at half strength so I dont shock the tank. I have noticed the water being clearer but I will give updates on this. I am not confident in my phopate test kit and infact am not confident in any of my tests but I will give some test readings one of these days.

I have also used numerous skimmers as well. In the skimmer department I feel their are so many junky skimmers that it is so important to do your research. Currently I am using an ASM. I feel this skimmer is pretty good, but not top of the line, so I am looking forward to comparing My ASM 4x to the greyseas skimmer. Dan feels strongly about the quality of his skimmer and if it is on par with the other pieces of equipment I am sure I will be very happy.

I will say I like supporting local people but would not support people if I felt the quality was 2nd rate. I have bought a sump from NAGA(jeff) and would do it again and the same obviously goes for Dans equipment. So far from my experience these 2 local vendors have sold me the best equipment in my system.

Customer support to me is also vital, especially with mechanical equipment. This is were Dan really shines. He actively participates in discussion and has always helped me with any questions I have had. This was even before I had bought equipment from him. So if anyone is considering buying any of the products he is selling my suggestion would be to give him a strong consideration.

Guest tgallo

Dan, can you make me two of those filter sock brackets euro braced setups for 2'' drain pipe please.

Guest Bemmer

This post is so overdue...

I am the proud owner of a GSA Fluidized Reactor, Kalk Stirrer and now a brand new Single Chamber Calcium Reactor. Dan obviously takes a lot of time designing his products. He listens to his customers and learns from other manufacturers on how to make a better product than the competion. His attention to the details is fantastic. Dan is definately one step ahead of the industry on how he designs his products.

Enough talk. Here are some great pics of the calcium reactor I just got from him...

IMG_5597.jpg

With a built-in bubble counter...how cool is that!!!!!

IMG_5599.jpg

The white piece on the top is a plug. It is designed for a pH probe to be inserted into the calcium reactor. Again...thinking ahead of the curve...at least in my opinion.

IMG_5601.jpg

Here is a picture of my kalk stirrer and the fluidized reactor I bought about a month or so ago...

IMG_5233.jpg

A really cool feature about the media reactor is the ability to rinse the media inside the inner chamber. It is so easy and cool to just put the media in the reactor (in this case carbon), close the lid and just dunk it into a bucket of water. A few dunks and voila, clean media ready to go into the outer chamber. Can't get much easier. Oh but you can...the water can actually be drained from the unit for ease of cleaning. I turn off the pump that feeds to the reactor and the water then drains out of the unit. (must have media reactor above the pump to create the back syphon). Works like a charm everytime.

Excellent craftsmanship and customer service. You will so be happy with Grey Seas Aquatics. And I believe, if you are not or have any questions, Dan is there to make it all right. An example of this...Dan was not able to do a keyhole lid on my kalk stirrer. So, he sent me wingnuts to make it easier to unscrew the lid from the base unit. Also, I wanted to get more water movement through my fluidized reactor...so he sent me new media pads. He goes above and beyond with his products.

I completely changed directions on what was going to be the Standard Six. I decided to go for a much larger skimmer and the other one will be the Six Shorty (thanks Shawns!).

Standard Six footprint is 10"x13" and 26.5" height which is the same as the Standard Eight. Decided to throttle back the 1262 for use on this skimmer as well. Air draw is 700lph. Twist lock flange is standard and needs about 250-300 gph to feed it. Should handle 200 gallons heavily stocked with ease.

520837890_8005e31f4d.jpg

Here is the overflow:

520837876_1578111601_m.jpg

520837774_c8bf4bc0e1_m.jpg

Drill 2 holes in the back of a non RR tank and clamp it on using the bulkheads.

Hey, Grav! Before you give your friend that 45-gallon tank - see above :)

Cool overflow, Dan! Only difficulty is getting those holes in JUST the right place... You need to include a drilling template with it.

bob

Hey, Grav! Before you give your friend that 45-gallon tank - see above :)

Cool overflow, Dan! Only difficulty is getting those holes in JUST the right place... You need to include a drilling template with it.

bob

There is some leeway with slightly overdrilled holes for the bulkheads. Slotted teeth will take up a little off balance slack as well. As far as the template goes, just remover the bulkheads and trace with a sharpie. I always cut glass tanks with a Rotozip so the tracing of a circle is the first step for me anyways :)

(edited)

There is some leeway with slightly overdrilled holes for the bulkheads. Slotted teeth will take up a little off balance slack as well. As far as the template goes, just remover the bulkheads and trace with a sharpie. I always cut glass tanks with a Rotozip so the tracing of a circle is the first step for me anyways :)

Hmm, ok, but does each one of these come with personal assistance from you, so you can come over, help me drain the tank sufficiently, drill the holes, install the overflow, then fill it back up again? :)

And is it even possible to drill the two holes involved here in a filled tank (assuming you get the water level just low enough to drill)?

. .. . .

{edit} P.S. The teeth in the combs look very shallow. I mean, what if your tank water level drops below the level of the teeth? My guess is that would be bad news. Perhaps drop the comb valleys a bit lower (2-3 inches maybe?) to allow for evaporation in smaller tanks?

Edited by Biodork

Hmm, ok, but does each one of these come with personal assistance from you, so you can come over, help me drain the tank sufficiently, drill the holes, install the overflow, then fill it back up again? :)

And is it even possible to drill the two holes involved here in a filled tank (assuming you get the water level just low enough to drill)?

. .. . .

I did it on my old 29. Drained it 1/2 way with the livestock still in it. I used the Rotozip to drill while my wife used a pump sprayer to keep the glass lubricated with water. Put it in place and then filled it up. Would I suggest anyone in their right mind do this? :lol2: It did work though.

errr... how would water ever evaporate below the teeth? The water level will fluctuate at the lowest part of the system ( the sump). This is a 12" overflow for a 30 long with 2ea 1" bulkheads, I am confident this will handle the flow needed for that system.

errr... how would water ever evaporate below the teeth? The water level will fluctuate at the lowest part of the system ( the sump). This is a 12" overflow for a 30 long with 2ea 1" bulkheads, I am confident this will handle the flow needed for that system.

Ohhh, ok. I understand now! (I should know better than to try to post this late at night). Being one who has not yet ever had a real sump down below (just a HOB fuge), I did not realize this concept. Way cool. Now I just need to find someone crazy enough to try drilling a filled glass 90g when this product goes to market, and I have the funds to buy it :)

Several of us are crazy enough to drill a filled 90g aquarium. The question is are you crazy enough to let us do it? :biggrin:

That's the picture of my overflow box that Dan built for my 30 gal tank. I haven't seen it in person yet, but the picture looks pretty sweet. I have never drilled a tank before and I don't intend to. Knowing me, I will crack it the first time around. I'm planning on taking my tank to a glass shop and have them drill it for me.

James

Here is the overflow:

520837876_1578111601_m.jpg

520837774_c8bf4bc0e1_m.jpg

Drill 2 holes in the back of a non RR tank and clamp it on using the bulkheads.

So - you make a box out of glass and then glue black plexi wtih teeth around 3 sides, slightly higher than the box. Then you would bolt it to the tank glass-to-glass with the teeth at surface level? Any silicone around the attached box?

So - you make a box out of glass and then glue black plexi wtih teeth around 3 sides, slightly higher than the box. Then you would bolt it to the tank glass-to-glass with the teeth at surface level? Any silicone around the attached box?

It's all acrylic, no glass. No silicone, the bulkhead gasket goes in between the overflow and the glass.