PVC Cement and Toxicity?

elm66

Hi There,

I have just assembled a set of standpipes (Durso type) using Teflon tape and the PVC cement (red can at home depot). Can I use the assembly right away or do I have to wait and let the pipes to diffuse any toxic materials?

I also would like to know if the teflon tape toxic?

Thanks

Eric

PVC glue/primer is quite toxic when it is liquid or vapor, but leaves no toxic residue when

dry. It cures fast and stops off gassing fast. I have redone plumbing on my tank and within ten minutes had the water flowing again with no ill effects. Put some carbon in the system for some added security.

The MSDS for teflon tape shows zeros for health hazzard and says "no acute reaction if ingested". I wouldn't try it!

Edited by prevyet

As was allready said the glue when cured is not an issue (I typically ahve waited 24 hours)

As for the tape should not be a problem for water flowing over (allthough I would want to ingest it... of course I wouldn't ingest PVC pipe either.) :)

Dave

As was allready said the glue when cured is not an issue (I typically ahve waited 24 hours)

As for the tape should not be a problem for water flowing over (allthough I would want to ingest it... of course I wouldn't ingest PVC pipe either.) :)

Dave

Thanks all for you for this fast answer. I will now put in my durso pipes in the aquarium without any fear.

Thanks again

Eric

Ok, great!!!! Thanks so much, I was kind of worried there for a moment. I had done a few cementing and left them for like weeks so the chemical will dry out and nastiness vapors away.

I've done it for my SWCD mods. That remind me, I gotta post this nice SWCD mod I've done a few months ago- I have it posted on RC but will post here in DIY board :)

True! I'm relieved to know that those thing are safe!

We should compile a list of all reef safe material, solvents, whatever chemicals that are involved in common reef DIY and have it pinned for future DIYers.

True! I'm relieved to know that those thing are safe!

We should compile a list of all reef safe material, solvents, whatever chemicals that are involved in common reef DIY and have it pinned for future DIYers.

Not shooting you down but we could pin almost anything and you'll see a post (sometimes right underneath it)

asking exactly what the pinned post offers.