Reef safe paint? Is there any?

I plan on putting a black back ground on my next tank, and I want to paint the PVC returns and bulk heads the same color. Is there something i could paint them will that won't leach harmful chemicles into my tank?

Jason

#1 there are vendors that sell black piping

#2 there are several suppliers of Marine paint as well that is made to protect boats, NOT fish. So don,t take a chance!

#3 why paint, it will be covered in Coraline Algae in no time?

Jason

#1 there are vendors that sell black piping

#3 why paint, it will be covered in Coraline Algae in no time?

1. Is black piping extra? I've never had much luck locating the stuff, and my budget forces me to pinch all the pennies I can.

3. No time.... define no time? I have had my new current set up for nearly two months and haven't seen but about 4 dime sized colonies started.

1. Is black piping extra? I've never had much luck locating the stuff, and my budget forces me to pinch all the pennies I can.

Not too expensive. I have black elbows in the tank. McMasterCarr.com

You can find black bulkheads easily. as mentioned, the piping will be covered in short order. You can get PVC primer and make it purple- don't know of anything black I would trust- except lockline modular piping is black.

Are yours ABS or PVC?

You can find black bulkheads easily. as mentioned, the piping will be covered in short order. You can get PVC primer and make it purple- don't know of anything black I would trust- except lockline modular piping is black.

Michael aren't bulkheads made of ABS? Are ABS fittings safe to put in the tank? I found some Black ABS fittings to put in my tank but I would like to find out if they are safe first.

I thought that it was McMasterCarr.com that carried the black piping, I know there was a vendor, but yes it was redicuously expensive!

..let the coraline grow!

Guest Bemmer

I bought PVC piping and bulkheads at savko.com. They have an excellent supply of plumbing materials.

I also used Krylon Fusion spray paint on my PVC plumbing. Works great. DO NOT recommend trying to paint the glass. I painted the glass overflow trough and it has been chipping off a little at a time since I set up the tank. Not issues with the tank except I am constantly fishing out paint chips with a net.

As far as the coralline algae, have you "seeded" your tank with a piece of LR that has coralline algae on it. That will help spread the coralline algae faster.

R-

I bought PVC piping and bulkheads at savko.com. They have an excellent supply of plumbing materials.

I also used Krylon Fusion spray paint on my PVC plumbing. Works great. DO NOT recommend trying to paint the glass. I painted the glass overflow trough and it has been chipping off a little at a time since I set up the tank. Not issues with the tank except I am constantly fishing out paint chips with a net.

As far as the coralline algae, have you "seeded" your tank with a piece of LR that has coralline algae on it. That will help spread the coralline algae faster.

R-

There is about 125 lbs or so of live rick with coraline algae in my tank. I was olny going to paint my returns and over flows. Where can I get this Krylon Fusion paint?

Hey, like said earlier you can use the purple pvc primer to paint you pipes until the coraline covers them. Also you can get schedule 80 pvc pipe and fittings at Lowe's that are a very dark gray to black in color.

Jody.

There is about 125 lbs or so of live rick with coraline algae in my tank. I was olny going to paint my returns and over flows. Where can I get this Krylon Fusion paint?

Fusion = WalMart

Spears makes black schedule 40 PVC. Do a search if you want it. Anything that say's Spears though aint cheap. I used purple primer on PVC then coated with Fusion. As rocks and stuff hit the pipe and chip paint off it looks the same as the coraline that is spotting it.