Tank transfer/upgrade

lynn.reef.nerd

I NEED ADVICE: If I plan to transfer half of my rocks and all the Marine Pure brick over to the new tank from the old one, can I transfer all the fish over at once? I also have rocks (been cycling in a tub for 3 weeks) to add to the new tank. Please advise...any help appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I moved / drove from Alabama with a couple buckets of stuff (rocks, clownfish, YT, snails, crabs, some corals, etc) and started setting up a 37G (temp tank) immediately when I got here.

8b1dbdb3e3be8d6886ad5715c5fb04c1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About 5-6 months later, I picked up a 125G from PetSmart and set it up, adding a clown tang. a73a962323f32f762f2451d1f65c9f29.png

(Side view from security camera)

80dd760227f83f7ee77cdde7feb376f1.png

I NEED ADVICE: If I plan to transfer half of my rocks and all the Marine Pure brick over to the new tank from the old one, can I transfer all the fish over at once? I also have rocks (been cycling in a tub for 3 weeks) to add to the new tank. Please advise...any help appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You should have no issues. Make sure that rock/bricks are not exposed to air for too long!

Make sure you have enough used water. Just as in water changes shouldn’t put in more than half newly made water. If you have the ability shift the rocks and used water first. Give it a few days or longer then the fish, if you’re able. Most people switch in a single day though.

S'long as all your rock is cycled you shouldn't see an issue. I would grab an ammonia badge and test, that way you can know for sure. If there's no rush, just let the new tank cycle and then combine everything. 

Make sure you have enough used water. Just as in water changes shouldn’t put in more than half newly made water. If you have the ability shift the rocks and used water first. Give it a few days or longer then the fish, if you’re able. Most people switch in a single day though.

There's not enough to really matter in the water column, it's going to come down to the live rock/sand. It's always a good idea to have extra water though, I dumped all my water going to a 40 gallon temporary home for my coral from a 180. Filled up that 40 gallon, and that night my clam spawned. I had dumped 140+ gallons of water that day, and I didn't even have 5 gallons on hand to do a water change. lost everything. 

Just an opinion you wouldn’t do over a 50% water change? Unless absolutely necessary. Personally I’d transfer water to keep the stability.

I would do, and did do 100% water changes on my old nano.

I wouldn’t do it on my current display, but not because of the beneficial bacteria, but because I would have to adjust dosing and it would be redundant.