Low dKH and high calcium

YHSublime

So I finally tested my tank tonight, and I did both tests twice. 

dKH is barely at 6

Calcium is just at 500

I use reef crystals.

I don't currently dose.

Any ideas how it got this way? Should I do a water change and then start testing again?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's your current pH and Mg level? Low Mg level lead to the Alk & Ca imbalances. When pH is too low it would affect alk as well. A 10% water change will bring your alk up a bit without bringing up calcium. You can also dose baking soda only. But I prefer the water change method. But I wouldnt recommend doing WC more than 10% since RC has a quite high alk level (12-13). If you need some Mg solution, just swing by my place, I still have a lot left ;).

Should have been testing all along :).

This might help. http://wamas.org/forums/topic/86043-Why-does-a-tank-only-neeed-alkalinity

Specifically Tom's explanation about a tank not being fully cycled. The anaerobic bacteria really does take a good while to establish. Mine took just over a year.

Water changes should help with RC since alk is high. Test the fresh saltwater to make sure it's not a salt mix issue as well.

What's your current pH and Mg level? Low Mg level lead to the Alk & Ca imbalances. When pH is too low it would affect alk as well. A 10% water change will bring your alk up a bit without bringing up calcium. You can also dose baking soda only. But I prefer the water change method. But I wouldnt recommend doing WC more than 10% since RC has a quite high alk level (12-13). If you need some Mg solution, just swing by my place, I still have a lot left ;).

I haven't checked. My nitrates were low(ish) I think I'm going to water change (test water first) and see what I end up with tonight. I appreciate the offer, I'm pretty sure ESV includes mag trace in it!

Should have been testing all along :).

Grumble grumble. 

This might help. http://wamas.org/forums/topic/86043-Why-does-a-tank-only-neeed-alkalinity

Specifically Tom's explanation about a tank not being fully cycled. The anaerobic bacteria really does take a good while to establish. Mine took just over a year.

You know, I read that, but when it didn't apply to me I didn't really process it, haha. That's wild, and a theory that I think might be close to the truth. My nitrates are about 10 right now. With the coral growth, the coraline taking a hold right now, the crazy amount of pods I see, I have a hard time with not being fully cycled, but if all the suggestions are pointing that way, I should come to terms with it. 

I have been using different salts for the first 6 months, and then past 4-5 months have been using RC. I did do a larger than normal water change last week (more than half) because I was cleaning out my sump. I've also put filter socks back on. 

Water changes should help with RC since alk is high. Test the fresh saltwater to make sure it's not a salt mix issue as well.

I'm going to test my salt mix today before I water change. And probably test the tank for a few more days before I decide what I'm going to do, if it ain't broke....

add some alk dude. Something is using it up without using Ca.

Fair. I just hate to make judgments hastily based on data I just started tracking. I did the tests twice just to make sure though. And double checked online to see if I was doing them correctly.

So the general consensus is start dosing alk, track calcium and then figure out the balance, because eventually calcium will fall in place evenly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

add some alk dude. Something is using it up without using Ca.

+1 Yea this might be a situation to not over think it. Just slowly slowly raise the alk. Everything is constantly slowly adjusting and changing as things grow. It’s good to consistantly test and adapt with it

Treat the symptom for now: Baking soda.

Don't overthink it unless it's a regular occurrence.

+1 Yea this might be a situation to not over think it. Just slowly slowly raise the alk. Everything is constantly slowly adjusting and changing as things grow. It’s good to consistantly test and adapt with it

Fair as well. 

Treat the symptom for now: Baking soda.

Don't overthink it unless it's a regular occurrence.

Ok, not going to overthink. I have some ESV bicarbonate at home, should be ready to go. If I'm at 6dKH and I want to be at 9, looks like 202.7 ml;  6.8 fl oz;  40.5 tsp.

Would 2oz a day be ok? I'm not prepared to hook up the doser, and everything will have to be by hand. I'm also not around a whole lot over this weekend, so want to make sure I'm not messing anything up. 

Would 2oz a day be ok? I'm not prepared to hook up the doser, and everything will have to be by hand. I'm also not around a whole lot over this weekend, so want to make sure I'm not messing anything up. 

You're asking the wrong guy on this one. I've been known to get pretty bold with my alkalinity corrections. (Think about it, alk can drop 2-3 dKH per day if it weren't supplemented in some mature tanks.) That said, I wouldn't be too concerned about adding enough to bring alk up 1-2 dKH over the course of 24 hours. Just monitor your pH and try not to shift the pH by more than 0.3 pH units during the dosing. 

You're asking the wrong guy on this one. I've been known to get pretty bold with my alkalinity corrections. (Think about it, alk can drop 2-3 dKH per day if it weren't supplemented in some mature tanks.) That said, I wouldn't be too concerned about adding enough to bring alk up 1-2 dKH over the course of 24 hours. Just monitor your pH and try not to shift the pH by more than 0.3 pH units during the dosing.

Fair. I’ll start with a water change. I’ll see how et looks AM wise. Despite depleted alk, everything looks phenomenal.

What has the alk been over the past month?

What does the source water test at?

Just started testing, so those numbers aren’t available.

Someone should go back through Isaac's old posts and find a bunch where he advises people to test their params or such. 8)

Actually, I think it's legit once you've been around it a while to just watch the tank and test when things look out of whack.  For pretty much everything except alkalinity.  Alk is so important and can change so quickly that it's the one thing that warrants frequent testing.

Someone should go back through Isaac's old posts and find a bunch where he advises people to test their params or such. 8)

Actually, I think it's legit once you've been around it a while to just watch the tank and test when things look out of whack. For pretty much everything except alkalinity. Alk is so important and can change so quickly that it's the one thing that warrants frequent testing.

Haha, to be fair,I’m actually am curious about what possibilities led to this situation. If somebody asks how to fix a situation without posting params, your guess is as good as mine.

Rookie :)

Always and forever!

Started at 6dKH, water change on 8/9. Added 1oz of ESV part 1 evening of 8/10. Brought it up to 7dKH. Today I added 1/2oz and it’s up to 8dKH. One more 1/2 oz tomorrow should put me at 9.

Don’t forget the last step of going 24 hours after that last dose to test what you are consuming. That should help you start to tweak what you actually need every day.

Don’t forget the last step of going 24 hours after that last dose to test what you are consuming. That should help you start to tweak what you actually need every day.

Yes yes, this is all very fun, water changes were easier.

The calcium had to start out high as well; what did your fresh mixed water test out at? I cant remember off the top of my head but I think RC was mixing up around 12.5 dKh (in Vegas so I dont have my notes) so if you did some larger water changes, you're going to push it well beyond 9 dKh quite easily. Muriatic acid is the easy fix to bringing it into a range you desire provided the other parameters are at levels you prefer (do remember to mix it for a long period because the pH plummets when you use it).

So here's my notes:

8/9 - dKH was 6 (CA 500+)

8/11 - Water change 5gallons,) 1oz of ESV part 1 and I was at 7.15

8/12 - 1/2oz Alk Solution, 8.27dKH

8/13 - 1/2oz Alk Solution, 8.83 dKH

8/14 - No more dosing, 8.49 dKH

8/15 - No more dosing, 8.10 dKH

8/17 - No more dosing, 7.65 dKH

It looks as if I'm dropping about .50 dKH a day

(8.83 - 7.65) / 3 is about 0.4 dKH/day.

It also looks like the 1/2 oz of alk solution, taking consumption into account, is worth about 0.81 dKH in your tank volume. Consequently, it looks like you need to dose about 1/4 oz or 1.5 tsp. per day to match consumption at this point.

(8.83 - 7.65) / 3 is about 0.4 dKH/day.

It also looks like the 1/2 oz of alk solution, taking consumption into account, is worth about 0.81 dKH in your tank volume. Consequently, it looks like you need to dose about 1/4 oz or 1.5 tsp. per day to match consumption at this point.

That's not too bad! Thanks for looking that over. Now time to get this doser worked out before the next trip, as easy as it is for me to do by hand, I need it automated.